• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Ymca / ywca

Pat99

I found out this week that my health insurance (Humana Medicare) has a program that will pay for an annual membership at either the YMCA or YWCA. I found out today that my local Y has a chair that can raise and lower me into the pool and also has a movable stairway with a handrail to get in and out. Being disabled I will need to use one or the other. The locker room is handicapped accessible and I can even take my wheelchair right to the edge of the pool! Once I'm released by the surgeon to exercise I am planning on starting a routine at the Y. I was an athlete in high scool and have always liked to exercise, even if it was physical therapy. I can't wait to do this :)

Hi Pat, That's great, I am so happy to hear that you have a good place to get some exercise, it can be so difficult when your in a wheel chair. One of the guys in my support group was still looking for a fitness center that had the wheelchair lift so he could start water arobics, he wan't able to use the staires yet. You were so right in one of your earlier posts today about all the hunger pains and cravings going away, I remember thinking I wanted to eat something so bad, then when I did I was so full after a few bites and it took forever to eat just a little bit, and after drinking protien shakes for what seemed like forever I thought I would never want another protien shake again, I am back to one a day after my work out. LOL!! Take care. :cool: Tom

Pat

hi just read about the YMCA, I used to have a membership with them, yes they have a lift chair to put you into the water and being in the water makes it alot easier to be mobile and not painful. I felt alot better when I went there. I haven't been able to go to ymca or any other pool in over 15 months, I had surgery 15 months ago and have been dealing with an open wound in my stomach all this time,but thank goodness it's finally healing and is down to the size of a half-dollar, they made me heal inside out. It's been a long 15 months of healing but once the new skin is complete then I will be allowed to go in a pool again.I am going to see if my insurance has an offer for membership, thanks for sharing good news!
Hope you have a good day.
Donna

Back