• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Your Pre-op Diet?

KeriK

Hi, I started my 2 week pre-op diet on Tuesday (so I'm hungry, lol!). In perusing a bit, it looks like different Drs have different pre-op diet requirements, and I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing yours, and your thoughts on mine. :) I have a fatty liver, so I definitely need it to shrink.

Mine isn't Completely liquid, as it seems that some are. What I've had most every day for solids is berries for my morning snack and a Jenny-o turkey patty with broccoli for dinner. Beyond that it's been water and a variety of protein shakes.

KeriK! You know how I said I was on vacation this week during diet? Got home last night, weighed myself this morning and I've lost 8 dang pounds on the pre-op diet already! I know it's probably all water weight but it's still super exciting. Enough to keep me going for another day at least haha . Hope you're doing well!
Also- my diet only allows sf broth and jello and drinks (has to be 10 calories or less) and the rest is just premade protein shakes that are 170 calories each and I have to have exactly 5 per day. This is horrible hahahahahaha

KeriK! You know how I said I was on vacation this week during diet? Got home last night, weighed myself this morning and I've lost 8 dang pounds on the pre-op diet already! I know it's probably all water weight but it's still super exciting. Enough to keep me going for another day at least haha . Hope you're doing well!
Also- my diet only allows sf broth and jello and drinks (has to be 10 calories or less) and the rest is just premade protein shakes that are 170 calories each and I have to have exactly 5 per day. This is horrible hahahahahaha
Such wonderful news. Imagine that, going on vacation; coming home 8lbs lighter? Yay Woohoo ❤❤

I had to do 2 weeks full liquid. My husband had to do THREE! that is harsh, lemme tell you! Our program has you buy the entire pre-op diet from them, so you are getting the exact amount of nutrients every day. They carried protein shakes, pudding and soups. We were allowed 3 per day plus one snack of a sugar free popsicle or jello.

I had to do 2 weeks full liquid. My husband had to do THREE! that is harsh, lemme tell you! Our program has you buy the entire pre-op diet from them, so you are getting the exact amount of nutrients every day. They carried protein shakes, pudding and soups. We were allowed 3 per day plus one snack of a sugar free popsicle or jello.
Dang and I thought only 5 shakes and broths was bad. I can't imagine only 3 hahaha. Wth is the deal?! Like this has gotta be the most difficult thing ever for all of us - we literally have a problem with food already. It's so frustrating too when someone's plan let's them have food and stuff for dinner haha

Dang and I thought only 5 shakes and broths was bad. I can't imagine only 3 hahaha. Wth is the deal?! Like this has gotta be the most difficult thing ever for all of us - we literally have a problem with food already. It's so frustrating too when someone's plan let's them have food and stuff for dinner haha
Yep! I was basically crying in the shower and my normally even-tempered husband was a BEAR! But, you lose a lot and it makes surgery easier for the surgeon so, it's all worth it.

Thanks for the responses. :) Having read them, I feel bad for sharing my diet plan, which has some solid food. I guess I asked because I was concerned that my liver won't shrink as much as it needs to by having some solids and that it could be an issue. I should have thought a little deeper before asking. Sorry. :(
I'm going to call the surgeons office tomorrow and tell them my concerns.

Nymiria, congrats on the awesome weight loss...on Vacation even!!! Definitely an accomplishment to be proud of!!! :) BTW, you've lost twice as much as me. ;)

Missy, wowsers, why did your hubby have to do THREE weeks on the pre-op diet?!! Poor guy! A nice thing about your program making you buy everything through them is, at least everything was planned out. :)

Roni, I agree on the bits of ice in the shakes...takes them next level! :)

Diane, thanks for the tip. :)

Thanks for the responses. :) Having read them, I feel bad for sharing my diet plan, which has some solid food. I guess I asked because I was concerned that my liver won't shrink as much as it needs to by having some solids and that it could be an issue. I should have thought a little deeper before asking. Sorry. :(
I'm going to call the surgeons office tomorrow and tell them my concerns.

Nymiria, congrats on the awesome weight loss...on Vacation even!!! Definitely an accomplishment to be proud of!!! :) BTW, you've lost twice as much as me. ;)

Missy, wowsers, why did your hubby have to do THREE weeks on the pre-op diet?!! Poor guy! A nice thing about your program making you buy everything through them is, at least everything was planned out. :)

Roni, I agree on the bits of ice in the shakes...takes them next level! :)

Diane, thanks for the tip. :)
KeriK I'm sorry if I made you feel bad! I was a brat. It's okay to ask anything you want I shouldn't have said i felt grumpy about people getting to eat because I know it's tough for both of us. You're doing great! I've been a grouchy bear woman for the last 7 days.

KeriK I'm sorry if I made you feel bad! I was a brat. It's okay to ask anything you want I shouldn't have said i felt grumpy about people getting to eat because I know it's tough for both of us. You're doing great! I've been a grouchy bear woman for the last 7 days.
No, you were being honest, and that is something that I respect, Nymiria. :) Roles reversed I may have felt the same way. And I feel ya on the grouchiness...I'm right there with ya on that! ;) But it's a short term struggle for a long term win...and our dates will be here before we know it!! :D

No, you were being honest, and that is something that I respect, Nymiria. :) Roles reversed I may have felt the same way. And I feel ya on the grouchiness...I'm right there with ya on that! ;) But it's a short term struggle for a long term win...and our dates will be here before we know it!! :D
Thanks for your understanding. I don't know about you but my weight hasn't gone down in 2 days! What the heck?!

Where did you get that tracker? I'd love to have one!

Thanks for your understanding. I don't know about you but my weight hasn't gone down in 2 days! What the heck?!
My weight hasn't gone down since the day I mentioned losing half as much as you. In fact, it went up one day. WTF?!! Hoping it goes better on the other end of the surgery!! :oops:
Today is my birthday and I have spent most of it crying so far. The tears originated from family stuff, but I'm sure it's also related to stress over all of the surgery worries too. But I'm going to shake it off, go get my pre-surgery Covid test (do you need to do one of those too?)...then go for a drive out to the location my hubby and I got married. Pretty little outdoor area called Pulgas Water Temple that we haven't been back to in over 30 years. :)
This will likely be a tough weekend for us, with all of the food centered activities going on...but we are tougher! and we're near the pre-op finish line...Yay us! :)

My weight hasn't gone down since the day I mentioned losing half as much as you. In fact, it went up one day. WTF?!! Hoping it goes better on the other end of the surgery!! :oops:
Today is my birthday and I have spent most of it crying so far. The tears originated from family stuff, but I'm sure it's also related to stress over all of the surgery worries too. But I'm going to shake it off, go get my pre-surgery Covid test (do you need to do one of those too?)...then go for a drive out to the location my hubby and I got married. Pretty little outdoor area called Pulgas Water Temple that we haven't been back to in over 30 years. :)
This will likely be a tough weekend for us, with all of the food centered activities going on...but we are tougher! and we're near the pre-op finish line...Yay us! :)
Awwww. Girl I feel the crying. I did a lot of that too haha. And yes I gained 2 lb all of a sudden I don't know what happened! I was so upset. The days I was losing made it easy at least it gave me more energy to keep doing well. But the last couple of days have really stunk again. That's great that you're going out with your husband on a nice weekend trip!

Back