• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Your results

This is a general question for everyone who's post-op.

1. How much weight have you lost?
  2. How long did it take?
  3. Was the process what you expected it to be?
  4. Have any health problems improved since surgery?
  5. Are you happy you decided to go through this process to lose weight?

2. How long did it take?

I'm going to start this off with my own story.

1. Initially I lost 115 pounds. That was too much. So I concentrated on gaining some back, which was surprisingly difficult.
  2. I had surgery August 20, 2007. I reached my goal October 31, 2008.
  3. I didn't really have any expectations, but the difficulty of the post-op healing surprised me. But so did the food, and the way I ate after surgery. It was like starting all over with a new life and new needs, like a baby who just started solid food. It was far less difficult that any diet, and also less difficult than ordinary eating.
  4. I was pre-diabetic and at risk for stroke, the two major causes of death in my family. Now my blood sugar is normal and my blood pressure is always good. I decided to have the surgery after my dad died in 2006. In subsequent years, a younger brother died of complications from diabetes and hepatitis C, and an older sister died of congestive heart failure. Both of those diseases contributed to my father's death. And I was heading that way.
  5. Even after 13 years, I'm still thrilled with my health, my figure, my number on the scale and the defeat of the monsters that were coming to kill me.
In addition to all that, I've learned a lot about food and nutrition. I'm surprised I lived as long as I did, considering how badly I ate. And yet many Americans are in worse shape than I was, and they still have lives, although I don't know how good or bad they feel.

I think I mentioned that my neighbor and friend died suddenly in her apartment 12 days ago. Her boyfriend ran to my apartment to get me and I called 911, though it was obvious she was dead. It has been extremely traumatic for me since. The silence through the wall is killing me. I miss her voice and even her cigarette smoke that wound its way into my apartment when she stood outside, leaning on the railing. She was a large black woman with diabetes and CHF, and she drank and smoked all day. She was as sweet as pie. But I want to tell everyone, This is what happens. Gain weight, be sedentary, smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol and you'll die. Life is agony without her company. She was only 53, but she'd had a hard life that included drug addiction and homelessness. She was so happy here, but she just hated doctors and avoided making appointments to see them, even though she'd had a stent put in her heart at one point.

She lived life on her terms and she died. The few people she cared about, including me, are in a lot of pain. Her absence is even bigger than her presence. And she died because of her lifestyle, even refusing to take the mass quantities of meds she had on a table in her hallway. I'm a little bit angry about that. We are still emptying her apartment and talking to all her contacts, and cannot find her family. She'll be at the morgue for 90 days and if no relative comes forward, she'll be cremated and there will be no funeral.

I believe she'd be alive today if she'd cut back on booze, cigs and food. I'm certain she had no idea how much she was loved.

You all are doing the right thing, going for health via surgery, determined to live better and longer. Believe me, the people who love you are grateful for that. You have no idea how much you'd be missed if you died from lifestyle, young and loved.

1. How much weight have you lost? - 84 lbs but have gained 2 pounds back over the past 3 months

2. How long did it take? about 9 months before I leveled off

3. Was the process what you expected it to be? - yes, though the initial weight loss was MUCH faster than expected or can be explained by the 4500-6000 calories per pound myths. The first 3 weeks post-op during the liquids phase was the most difficult, especially the pill crushing that is so vile tasting.

4. Have any health problems improved since surgery? - yes, I was a stroke waiting to happen - I had very high blood pressure (normal now, actually low); type2 diabetes and my A1C has been normal for past 6 months; high cholesterol now normal. I've taken advantage of the weight loss to get active again, have been weight lifting & running for the past 7-8 months now and am in amazing shape (if I say so myself).

5. Are you happy you decided to go through this process to lose weight? - Yes 100% wish I would have done it sooner. My wife is having her sleeve surgery in TWO days, so I suppose I've been a good example. I'm super excited for her and really glad we can do this together.

2. How long did it take?
  1. 140 lbs
  2. 9 1/2 months
  3. I expected it to be very hard for me. I've been lucky to not have had any bad side effects.
  4. BP down, cholesterol down and in a good ratio.
  5. Ecstatic about it.

150 pounds
11 months
it is what I expected
only health problems dizziness. I dont think from the surgery seen three different drs. And had my ears cleaned three times to still have drainage n the ears. Which might be making me dizzy . Tired of drs. Seems like they try to get you in and out in a hurry lately because of all the Covid rules.
I‘m happy i had the surgery and lost a lot of weight . Still want to lose around 7 more pounds for desired weight but at a stand still right now for about 3 weeks . Been eating a little more because I’ve been kinda week . But also been working out at a gym 3 times a week which is kinda making my body sore . But that’s good I guess . Going to Chicago Tuesday for two weeks gonna watch what I eat and watch what I do too do want to get Covid. I won’t be online that much either

1. I've lost 60 lbs so far
  2. It's been 3 1/2 months since I had the gastric bypass
  3. It both is and isn't what I expected. I was pleasantly surprised to have a quick recovery and no real problems adding new foods or keeping it down. But, I guess I thought the surgery would force me to make good choices. Which, technically, it does. But I think I might end up one of those people that has to plan, measure and track their food forever. Mentally, I am not yet in a place where I can go out and make the best food choice available, without a plan. But with no, or very few, limitations, I will just have to always have a plan.
  4. I was on medication for diabetes (non-insulin), blood pressure, cholesterol and acid reflux. I have not had to resume any of my medications since surgery and my A1C was 5.3, which is a normal blood sugar level. Not even pre-diabetic. I have asked them for a redo, since I worry maybe that's partially due to the liquid diet lol But the doctor assures me it's real.
  5. I am thrilled that I decided to go through this process and do not regret it at all. I really like the new weight, and the new clothes and the way I look. But it's the way I FEEL that I just can't get over.

22 pounds in 3 weeks post op

2. How long did it take?
    3 weeks

Not really. I’m still trying to figure out the full stomach. I believe it’s more of a surprise to me as to how little intake makes me full and I’m still trying to adjust to that new knowledge. My stomach constantly feels like it has butterflies in it.
    Yes my knees are no longer hurting me, no more acid reflux.
    I’m happy with the decision.

1. Lost 140 lbs- 103 lbs since surgery. 22 lb left to get to goal.
  2. RNY 7 months ago
  3. I’ve been fortunate thus far. Process as expected but a bit of a lonely journey which surprised me.
  4. Reflux resolved. They found an unexpected cancer on the outside of my stomach during surgery and removed it. A double win!!!
  5. Yes, it’s surreal. Beyond my expectations.

2. How long did it take?
  1. I have lost over 160 pounds
  2. ... well... that leads into question 3 LOL... but from my original surgery, I am 7 years out
  3. not. at. all. I have had TWO revision surgeries, which were entirely unanticipated. (Lapband to Sleeve in 2015, then sleeve to RNY 2019). I also did not anticipate the mental struggle early on. I thought, it was all physical, and I had to work thru some things that I had been pushing down with food.
  4. YES - I do not have any high blood pressure, the pain from my fibromyalgia is improved with the weight off, GERD completely gone following last revision
  5. YES, YES, YES and YES. I am hoping to get the skin handled in the very near future, and possibly getting some of the scar adhesions that cause some pulling internally taken care of as well.

2. How long did it take?

Lets see - I've lost 84 pounds now - I saw my nutritionist today - I weigh 136. I had RNY 1/22/2020 - I weighed 220 the day of surgery.

I'm a little over 8 months post-op. My surgical team set my goal weight at 156-176. That number was higher than the goal weight I set for myself.

The process was pretty much what I was told it would be BUT it also came with A LOT of other things tossed in along the way thus far. Some good some bad - some just eeewwwww.

Yes - I've had significant health problems improve. I was a 29+ year insulin dependent diabetic - my A1C is now 6.4 and that means I'm no longer and insulin dependent. My cholesterol levels are normal - I no longer take meds for that.

I am thrilled that I had the surgery - I wish I'd had it done sooner.

My family is eating healthier and smarter because of my having this surgery.

1. I've lost 60 lbs so far
  2. It's been 3 1/2 months since I had the gastric bypass
  3. It both is and isn't what I expected. I was pleasantly surprised to have a quick recovery and no real problems adding new foods or keeping it down. But, I guess I thought the surgery would force me to make good choices. Which, technically, it does. But I think I might end up one of those people that has to plan, measure and track their food forever. Mentally, I am not yet in a place where I can go out and make the best food choice available, without a plan. But with no, or very few, limitations, I will just have to always have a plan.
  4. I was on medication for diabetes (non-insulin), blood pressure, cholesterol and acid reflux. I have not had to resume any of my medications since surgery and my A1C was 5.3, which is a normal blood sugar level. Not even pre-diabetic. I have asked them for a redo, since I worry maybe that's partially due to the liquid diet lol But the doctor assures me it's real.
  5. I am thrilled that I decided to go through this process and do not regret it at all. I really like the new weight, and the new clothes and the way I look. But it's the way I FEEL that I just can't get over.
We have had simular results, 8/3 was.my day. Off all meds, dropped 60 #s I feel so much better as you do.Thanks for sharing.

2. How long did it take?
  1. 46 pounds including preop diet.
  2. 3 months including two weeks of preop diet
  3. No I thought I would be able to eat everything but In smaller quantities. Smaller quantities remain true but so many food limitations and restrictions. Overall mixed emotions! Some days are good and others are hard because even though I’m not hungry I still have so many cravings of things My stomach can’t tolerate. I really miss my Coke Zero!!
  4. Not taking any diabetes or high blood pressure meds since my surgery July 28. My A1C is at 5.4.
  5. Most of the time because my health has improved so much but sometimes I Get annoyed bc I have to eat slower and if I forget my new evil stomach will remind me and it shows no mercy!!!

2. How long did it take?
  1. Procedure was on 6/29/2020 and have lost 129 pounds as of this morning
  2. It has taken me 3.5 months
  3. The process has been much better than I expected.
  4. Since the surgery I am no longer taking any of my prescriptions, still on a bipap for sleep apnea because the sleep doctor said i have to wait for a year to have another sleep study done to see if I can get rid of the machine.
  5. Very happy to have done the procedure

2. How long did it take?
  1. 110 lbs, 30 pre-op, 80 post-op
  2. 10 months since surgery, 13 months since I started WLS recommendations
  3. Yes.
  4. Yes.
  5. So far, yes.

1. How much weight have you lost? - I have lost 118 lbs.
  2. How long did it take? It has been 272 days!
  3. Was the process what you expected it to be? - I had a fantastic surgeon that did a great job of educating me on the process, so I knew what to expect. But reality was harder than I expected.
  4. Have any health problems improved since surgery? I was pre-diabetic, with above-average blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. I am happy to report all of my levels are perfectly normal now! I have a lot less back and joint pain, and a lot more energy.
  5. Are you happy you decided to go through this process to lose weight? I am sooooo glad I did this. It changed my life!

Oh yeah...

Have any health problems improved since surgery? I was pre-diabetic, with above-average blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. I am happy to report all of my levels are perfectly normal now! I have a lot less back and joint pain, and a lot more energy.

Add to that list my sleep apnea is GONE!

Oh yeah...

Have any health problems improved since surgery? I was pre-diabetic, with above-average blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. I am happy to report all of my levels are perfectly normal now! I have a lot less back and joint pain, and a lot more energy.

Add to that list my sleep apnea is GONE!
Good feeling to be med free !!!!!! I have dropped 65 #s since 8/3/20. Shooting for another 50 #s by February. Off all my meds as well and no more sleep apnea.

Last edited:

2. How long did it take?
It has been 5 months since my pre-surgery diet and I have lost 86 #s. The process is more than I expected, the weight keeps coming off. Seems like a lot of weight loss in a very short time. I am off all my blood pressure meds, I was taking 3 pills a day for that. Now just vitamins. I am 66 years old, went from 333 lbs. to 247lbs so far. I would like to get to 220lbs. I am 5' 11". That would be a good weight. I fell better and healthier and nice to look in a mirror again.

2. How long did it take?
Just wanted to tell you Diane that I LOVE this thread. It is a very inspiring read, and I reread it often. I think it should be put as a sticky thread for people who are considering surgery.

Back