• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

1 Year Since Gastric Sleeve

Well, this week I'm 1 year out since my Gastric Sleeve Surgery and I still think it's the BEST thing I've ever done for my health! Fortunately, (or maybe unfortunately around the holidays...lol) I can eat anything and not get sick. There are some foods that I used to eat before surgery that now make my stomach feel "funny" so I avoid them....like salsa that's too hot, exceptionally "spicy" foods, and regular lettuce (spinach or lettuce blends are okay). I've avoided any alcohol or drinks with caffeine because I'm afraid of how they'll make me feel! ;) Yes, I can't eat as much at once as I could, but I can also realistically see how one could make poor choices and gain weight back. I NEVER want to go there again!

So, I've made working out 5 mornings a week part of my "getting ready for work" routine and I don't give myself an option out of this unless I'm too sick to move....and then I make myself make up the day. I'm at a plateau right now and have been at the same weight for about a month, and surprisingly, I'm okay with that with all the holiday temptations around! After Christmas I'm planning to kick it into gear again and change up my activities. Part of my motivation is that after seeing how well I've done and how good I feel, my husband has decided to have surgery as well! He's 6'5 and over 400 lbs (even I don't know how far) so I can't help but feel like this will allow him to be around so many more years!! I didn't suggest it to him, he simply brought it up one day after my surgery and said he was "thinking about it." I was happy, but didn't want to push. I brought it up a few more times in the past year and said he was "waiting to see how things went for me." You can imagine my happiness when he told me last month that he decided he wanted to have the surgery! I'm very excited for him and want to set a good example to make things easier for him post-surgery! Plus, having him eating the same way I do will make it easier to stay on track myself. :)

Congratulations on celebrating one year. I too can eat just about anything. Nothing seems to bother my sleeve except artificial sweeteners which I don't eat. I lost for 15 months and then my body was done. So 135 seems to be the weight my body is happy with. I think our actions speak louder than words. My daughter also had the surgery 6 months ago. She told me she saw how the surgery had changed my life and she also wanted that. She had lost 67 pounds and is off all her diabetes medications. Wishing you continued success and best to your husband on his surgery.

Both of you are an inspiration to the rest of us. Please keep posting-- your experiences help a lot of people, including your family members.

Thanks everyone! Whenever I feel like I'm being lazy in this journey, I can always come here and get motivation from others' stories! :D

Way to go Jayhawkgirl, it's been a while since I've heard from you. I am very proud of you, you've come a long way and now your husband is joining you. Way to go! You Rock.

Frank

:cool:

Yes, congratulations. You have changed your way of life forever. It is so encouraging to hear that your husband will do the same.

Also, a few folks have asked me what is your goal. I told them there is no goal. The body will decide that for me. When I reach the right weight, the body will know.

I suspect I will end up under 200; where I don't know. Will it be 180 or 190 who knows. Guess what, either number is fantastic compared to 288 where this all began. All the health benefits will be there.

I don't take insulin anymore. My Type 2 diabetes is pretty much normalized already. I probably now have an A1C around 5.4 to 5.6 without meds. I suspect it will drop even further.

I am off one of my blood pressure pills already and getting ready to drop another. Will I get completely off; hopefully. But being down to one pill instead of 4 is progress.

My walks are more brisk. I can climb stairs already without getting winded. The waist is shrinking. Soon I will be back into 44 pants and heading further down compared to where I was at 54 waist!

So, congratulations to you again for achieving a new life standard on your first anniversary.

Ralph

Back