• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

10 days out - drinking

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I am now 10 days out from bypass surgery, and I find I am so anxious about measuring, I think I am not drinking enough. Do you measure out your water and time your consumption of it, or do you just sip all day, keeping track of how much you consume? Also, pre-op I found it so easy to get my water and protein goals in, but now that I am taking such tiny amounts of anything, I worry about achieving goals of both. Any advice?

Hi and welcome to the site. In the beginning it is hard to meet the goals. They are guidlines, but at 10 days out I would be surprised it you can meet them. I fill up my water bottles as I know they are each 20 oz. My glasses are 16 oz. so I can figure how much I am drinking. I found in the beginning and even now my water goes down easier at room temperture. Don't forget to count all fluids not just your water. It is important to drink and sipping worked for me. Just don't stress about it. You sound like you are an aware person and will know if you are not getting enough fluid by the way you feel. Just keep sipping. In the beginning getting your water, protein and vitamins all in may seem overwhelming, but things do get better. Hope to see you hear posting your progress.

I agree with Kim, you do your best to archive the the goal by continual sipping, but if you can't, don't stress about it. Congratulation on your surgery and the beginning of your journey. May it be a beautiful ride.

Welcome to the forum, CarolinaJoy. Remember that things like your shakes, popsicles, jello, soups if they are allowed all count toward your fluid intake. I found that sipping throughout the day helped and my water bottles are 16 ounces so the goal was two a day for 32 ounces. Then my cup of coffee in the morning and my two shakes, a cup of broth for lunch, and jello made up the rest. I still don't tolerate very hot or very cold beverages.It was hard at first but it got easier. Protein became easier when I was able to start things like yogurt and cottage cheese along with my shakes. I still make up protein with a shake almost every day. I only have a lapband so my plan is different and I have discovered that each Doctor and each Center have slightly different programs. Follow your specific program as much as you can and don't get stressed out about it. It will come with time. Good luck on your journey. Joy

Thanks, everyone. You are right about every program having its own rules! When I google dietary options to search for some variety, it seems like each program allows different things. I am on full liquids now - hoping after my visit tomorrow my surgeon will allow me to begin integrating some minced food, slowly. I feel somewhat socially isolated by my diet right now. It's hard to be out with friends but I find any cravings easy to resist as long as I am not hungry. One day at a time.

I too wonder if I am meeting my goal for fluid intake. It's actually a bit stressful. But, then my husband reminds me that it's only been 21 days, and I should probably give myself a break. As long as I feel okay, I know my body better than anyone, so I should know when I am getting enough, and when I am not. So far, so good! :D Good luck!

Hi Carolina Joy, welcome to a great group of people. The advice you've received on getting in your liquids is spot on. I'm six months out and have days where I have trouble getting in the liquids for the day. Do the best you can and it does get easier as you go.

Frank

:cool:

CarolinaJoy and futureskinny girl-- I would recommend measuring your fluid intake so close post-op. When you are farther out it's OK to estimate, but it's really critical that you know how much you are taking in so that you don't get dehydrated. Don't stress about it, do the best you can, but be aware of how much you are drinking.

I remember those days. I carried water with me everywhere...even sitting in church I had a water bottle. I was told by my surgeon to take a sip at least every 5 minutes. It works. Just take a sip, sip, sip, sip. If you want to watch how much your intake is....fill up a cleaned out 2ltr soda bottle or use another large water bottle and pour the water from it into the smaller bottle you carry with you. By the end of the night, if it's all gone, you got in your quota. If not, you need to sip a bit more. It works :D

Congrats on all you are achieving!

Live is good.

Back