• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

10weeks post op and feeling HORRIBLE ..

SwtHrt7

So I am 10 weeks post op from gastric bypass. .. and while I would not regret having the surgery one bit...I am in a slump and getting really upset and depressed about it.
I feel like I am eating too much ... not eating the right things ... not taking my vitamins like I'm suppose to be ...having issues getting enough fluid in .. can't stand protein shakes! .. UGH .. basically I am falling apart and off the wagon. I am so afraid I am hurting my new pouch and ruining what I worked so hard to get to and risking hurting myself more. I guess I though things would come more naturally to me after surgery than they have.. I knew it'd be a lifestyle change .. but I'm having serious issues keeping that change. It's basically gone slowly to shit since I started on regular solid foods .. .. things were much better in the first couple stages when I was on liquids .. =(
Please Help!! I think I'm just looking for support from my fellow WLS members and knowing I guess I am not alone ... its not easy being around people who haven't had WLS or haven't the slightest clue what we are going thru.

Hi SwtHrt7,

So you know the issue and what's causing it. That's an important step, but there is one more I think you should take. I would suggest speaking with a therapist to find out why you are sabotaging yourself. For many of us weight gain is a result of emotional issues and if you haven't resolved or recognized them, you may continue down the same path.

As to the food side of things. There are couple of things you can do, first clear out all of the bad food, candies, cakes, sweets, what ever it is that you have in your pantry that you know you shouldn't eat. Then find a protein bar that you enjoy, I eat Pure Protein. They are chocolate covered, with very little sugar and lots of protein and very good. Also I like Dannon Fit and Lite Greek Yogurt with fruit. Very tasty and not a lot of sugar. As for liquids, I change mine up all the time. Sometimes it's decaf coffee, crystal lite (lots of different flavors), water or even a sugar free carmel latte with skim milk and decaf. Going from hot to cold and different consistencies and flavors helps a lot. Also sugar free jello and popscicles are liquid sources as well.

Now for the slowly going to shit part. Are you logging everything you eat? If not, start, it will help you stay on the straight and narrow. You will see everything in writing that you put into your mouth, no convenient memory loss to make you feel better.

You've made the very difficult decision to take this journey and are down 50 pounds, so I know you can do it. We are here to be your fans, coaches and tail kickers. Go You!

Frank

:cool:

Thanks Frank. I really appreciate the advice and support. I am definitely going to talk to the counselor at my surgeon's office. I think that you're right it may def help with some underlying issues I may be dealing with right now. I have not been logging what I eat but am going to start tomorrow. Clean slate. Including taking ALL my meds &vitamins. Again ... thank you so much. =)

Dear SwtHrt,

Most of our problems are between the ears and ninety-nine percent of our troubles will just disappear if we just change how we look at those problems. I lost my appetite for a lot of things after surgery, make it a challenge to find good healthy things that will appeal to you. Make it an adventure of discovery. Don't dwell on the things you can't have any longer but be grateful for the things you can enjoy and look forward to them. If you go off the reservation on a food item think of it as a learning experience and blow it off. If you are a little depressed look for the bright side of any situation. Look at your problems with new eyes and turn them into opportunities to improve and better yourself. I know you can do it, you took a very big step to change your life for the better with the surgery, just never forget that, and remember the reasons you started down this path to begin with. Some people around you who have weight issues may become jealous of your weight loss. You may lose some of your old friends because of this. But most people will realize you are making a positive change in your life and be supportive. Don't worry you can and will make new friends, you just have to be strong in the meantime. Buck up girl, you can and will do this.

cheers

Last edited:
Back