• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

11 days post-op

grt924

Oh my goodness...I'm going insane! I can't drink the protein shakes (makes me extremely nauseous), I've had as much yogurt as any person could want, cottage cheese is making me nauseous now, Eggs...not even. I feel like I'm out of stuff I can eat! I'm supposed to be getting 50 grams of protein and I'm lucky if I'm getting 25! Thursday, I can start introducing cooked, soft food and will be able to get more protein in, but I know I need something now. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hi Grt924 Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are having a rough time, I remember I had no appatite for a long time and had to force myself to eat and drink my protien shakes. I hear they have some kind of liuqid protien at wal mart but I have never tried it. It is very important that you get your protien in, I know it is dificult but it will help you heal up quicker and make you feel better. Please try as best you can even if you just sip on protien shakes and water all day. If you have a 24 hour walmart check out the nutrition isles for the liquid protien also. Good luck :cool: Tom

Oh my goodness...I'm going insane! I can't drink the protein shakes (makes me extremely nauseous), I've had as much yogurt as any person could want, cottage cheese is making me nauseous now, Eggs...not even. I feel like I'm out of stuff I can eat! I'm supposed to be getting 50 grams of protein and I'm lucky if I'm getting 25! Thursday, I can start introducing cooked, soft food and will be able to get more protein in, but I know I need something now. Anyone have any suggestions?
hi there, i had problems with protein i use body fortress whey protein 26g a scoop and i use 2cups milk instead of one so its thinner (makes it easier)so you get 42 g of protein, thats my lunch! tastes pretty good but filling. the egg thing i had to soft scramble and eat very slowly. i also eat oatmeal, sugar free pudding(sick of yogurt also) and applesauce hope this helps concentrate on high protein foods first!! GOOD LUCK!!

Hi grt924
So Sorry to hear about this-I also had a problem with the shakes-I just couldn't do it-Do you like Coffee??-One trick is to make a shake and include Sanka and a sweetner of your choice and making a large coffee that also helps you with your liquid intake-you can include ice in the process and make a pretty good drink that will help both sides of the food/drink requirements-I can refer you to a great website for ideas but can not do that until I clear it with Kevin-It deals with food and was started by a Chef who had bariatric surgery.
Hope this helps in some small way.
Ron

Welcome to the forum. Although not high in protein you could try cream of wheat made with milk. The thinner you make it the easier it will be to eat. If instant potatoes are on your list you can try those too, made with milk and on the thin side. Unjury makes a protein powder made to mix with water. The flavor is strawberry sorbet. It tastes real good and is easier on the stomach because you use water. I buy mine on-line direct from Unjury. Unjury also has a plain protein powder that you can mix in bouillon, hot chocolate, soups, anything you can think of. I have used it in instant mashed potatoes and cream of wheat just to get my protein in. Eggs were hard for me to eat until a week ago unless it was in a custard. I posted a custard recipe on this site so you may want to try it if you like custard.

I notice you're in SE MI too. I'm in the metro Detroit area.

Pat99 said something about unjury products. They are pretty good, if you like crystal light orange sunrise or even the great value brand, try those mixed with vanilla flavored unjury protein and a bottle of water, it tastes like an orange creamsicle.

I struggle with protein intake as well (38 days post-op). I mostly eat cottage cheese, greek yogurt, egg beaters, broiled white fish lightly seasoned, plus bariatric soups w protein already added. I've started to experiment with protein shakes... slim fast and special k made me feel icky. I just got Ensure's High Protein shake and that went down a little better, but I have to drink a little then switch back to water for a bit, then back to the shake till I get it all in.

With foods like shakes, I just don't have a feel yet for how many grams of sugar or fat on a nutrition lable I should avoid.

The bariatric soups with protein added helped me skate through a very rough 2 week clear liquid phase.

I can eat mashed and well chewed canned tuna and chicken, but my insides rubble a lot more when I do. My favorite things to eat are instant mashed cheesy potatos and instant cream of wheat with a drizzle of sugar free syrup (less sugar/fat than maple cream of wheat), but I'm only permitted one serving of starch per day.

I was able to eat some browned ground turkey by mashing thoroughly it with apple sauce and chewing it well. It tasted good and went down ok, but not as much protein as the cottage cheese, yogurt and white fish.

Last edited:
Tricia-Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your 38 pound weight loss!!! Unjury has a protein made to mix with water instead of milk. It's called strawberry sorbet and it tastes real good. You may find this easier to get down than milk based protein shakes and since it's made for people that have had bariatric surgery the carbs are low and the protein is high. You should contact your bariatric nutritionist and ask how many grams of carbs and fat are acceptable so that you are buying the supplements that support your nutritional requirements. Check out Unjury's products on-line.

You said your insides rubble a lot after eating solid food sources of protein. So did mine. I take GasEx immediately before a meal and that fixed the problem. If you are lactose intolerant you can use a lactaid type OTC tablet to deal with that as well. I have to use both. I also like instant mashed potatos, tuna and cream of wheat over anything else :)

GasX Cherry Chewables are like my snacks now. :) I'll definately check out Unjury. Anything to work flavor into my new diet and calm my insides.

I would love to get his information. I am having issues as well.
Hi grt924
So Sorry to hear about this-I also had a problem with the shakes-I just couldn't do it-Do you like Coffee??-One trick is to make a shake and include Sanka and a sweetner of your choice and making a large coffee that also helps you with your liquid intake-you can include ice in the process and make a pretty good drink that will help both sides of the food/drink requirements-I can refer you to a great website for ideas but can not do that until I clear it with Kevin-It deals with food and was started by a Chef who had bariatric surgery.
Hope this helps in some small way.

I would love to get his information. I am having issues as well.
Ron

Back