• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

11 days until surgery

bobbi

I'm 70 years old and have many many health problems. I am 85 lbs. overweight. I've decided on by-pass. The girls working in my surgeons office talked me out of the band. Medicare only pays for the band and the by-pass. I am pretty nervous, but excited, I so want to say good-by to many medications. I have never been able to shop in a small persons shop. I wish I would have done this years ago. But today I have no thyroid left and my metabolism isn't working, I'd have to eat like I will after surgery, and I am ashamed to say I can't do it myself. Is there anyone out there that can relate to this old broad. I pray I can live long enough to enjoy good health and a smaller body.:):)
I'm not sure how to use this sight.

Bobbi-Congratulations on your decision to have WLS. I'm in my late 50's, take a lot of meds and have multiple health issues. Don't be ashamed that you can't lose weight on your own. This forum is full of people who needed to have surgery in order to lose weight and based on how many bariatric surgeon's there are there are even more people needing surgical assistance to lose weight. You will still have to work at weight loss after surgery but it should be easier.

You seem to be using this site OK so don't worry about that anymore :) Just make sure you come back to the forum to let us know how your are doing.

Hi Bobbi, it's great that you decided to have WLS. I should've done this a long time ago, but I'm glad it's happening now. My husband has great insurance and the benefits are awesome. I also want to get rid of many of my medications and would love to be able to do more things with my grandkids while they are little.

Hi Bobbie, Welcome. There is no reason to be ashamed, we all needed help with our weight and could not do it on our own. I was on high BP and cholesterol medicine and within a couple of week I was off them both. I too was scared and excited butI knew I had tried everything else. The site is really easy to use. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :cool: Tom

Thank-you

I'm 70 years old and have many many health problems. I am 85 lbs. overweight. I've decided on by-pass. The girls working in my surgeons office talked me out of the band. Medicare only pays for the band and the by-pass. I am pretty nervous, but excited, I so want to say good-by to many medications. I have never been able to shop in a small persons shop. I wish I would have done this years ago. But today I have no thyroid left and my metabolism isn't working, I'd have to eat like I will after surgery, and I am ashamed to say I can't do it myself. Is there anyone out there that can relate to this old broad. I pray I can live long enough to enjoy good health and a smaller body.:):)
I'm not sure how to use this sight.

Thank-you for the encouragement, February 27th was your surgery date and it was my 70th birthday.

Did you have the by-pass or the band? I'm kinda nervous that the by-pass might not be the best choice for me. The girls in the doctor off gave me nightmare about the band. I just figure the time I have left will be a different relation ship for me then the last 60 years. I honestly don't know how I turned 70. If the time goes as fast as it has been going, I don't have much time left. We have Neptune Society maybe I can get a discount for less of a body. Thanks for the birthday wish, you are doing great. Good luck. The best is yet to come.

Bobbi-I had the by-pass. Your surgeon will discuss which options are best for you but you have the final decision. Since I am on Medicare they only pay for the lap band and the gastric by-pass (RNY). I thought the band was not a good choice for me. It requires a lot of maintenance with going in for fills to adjust the tightness and there is a risk for the band slipping out of place . Another thing I didn't like with the band is that you have to wait a real long time before and after meals to drink anything. I wanted the vertical sleeve because there is no risk for malabsorbtion but Medicare will not pay for it yet. They are coming close but I didn't want to wait. So I figured what the heck so I have to take supplements for the rest of my life, no big deal.

I am in my late 60's. I just had the band done. I am around 65lbs. overweight. I am only 5 days post surgery. I am not hungry, but I do crave something chewable!!!!!!!!! I am tired of liquids, but I can manage for another 9 days. If I can see the results which I have then it is worth it. I had started to develop some health problems and hopefully this will stop. Good luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Bobbi,

My name is Mary and I'm 46. I understand your feelings of shame, really, I do. But you're never to old to take better care of yourself. Asking for help is not always easy but if we could do this by ourselves, none of us would be here. Even "healthy" people who don't have weight problems have problems and have support.

Find out what your surgeons prefers & why. Ask a lot of questions about these procedures.
I'm not a candidate for the band due to a large hiatal hernia that will be repaired on Wed with my surgery but when I seriously considered it.
I thought about it & what if I was somewhere & needed a band adjustment and there was no provider familar, etc.

I've heard it's easier to cheat with the band but I can't say for sure whether or not it's true.

Get the information & recommendations and research as best you can.

You can & will get healthy & live life smaller & healthier and longer Bobbi.

Best wishes with your research and decision.

Congrats!!

Hi Bobbi, my name is Eric, and my rny surgery is up-coming as well. Just wanted to say congratulations on you're new journey. May it be smooth and set-back free!!:)

Hi again Bobbi, You are 70 years young and after your WLS when you are finished healing you will start to feel younger every day, I am only 45 but when I had my surgery I was 43 and over 300lbs and felt like I wasn't going to make it to retirement if I didn't change something soon so I did, now I am 195lbs and feel like I did 20 years ago, so hopefully it will work for you. :cool: Tom

Bobbi

Great decision. I just had my surgery on the 25th and am feeling great. I have not been on many medications so I can only imagine the thrill, nay relief, it will bring to your life, to let go of them. I was nervous, excited and anxious as I am sure everyone on here was prior to surgery but I have yet to meet anyone who is not thrilled with their decision. I was told by a friend that it is the best gift you can give yourself and I believe that to be true now that I have done the deed (RNY). You have a lifetime ahead of you to enjoy and this will make it just that much sweeter.

Good luck and let everyone know how it goes. This is an incredibly supportive forum.

Cheers to you!

Lester

I am so excited I found this site. I don't feel alone anymore. Thanks so much for the input. We see the surgeon today for pre-op you are right he will discuss both surgeries with us. I have pretty well decided on the bypass now especially hearing taking supplements the rest of my life is no big deal. I'll let you know what happens at the doctors today.

Back