• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

11 weeks Post Surgery

RMoretti

I really don't understand why my weight loss has stopped. I am down to 322 which is great, but I have been at 322 for 3 weeks now. I joined a water fitness program (4 days a week) at the YMCA and my calorie intake is only 500 per day. Can anyone give me a clue what is going on. Still doing the protein shakes at 68 grams per day. HELP!

Ron

You might not be eating enough to maintain a weight loss and your metabolism has slowed down for self preservation. Call your nutritioist for guidence. You will probably be told to increase to at least 800 calories. I go through the same thing from time to time. I also noticed if I eat certain things my weight loss slows down and if I eat ONLY protein my weight loss increases. Average weight loss is around 1 1/2 pounds a week. The best and safest thing to do is to contact your nutritionist.

Last edited:
Hi Ron, I had the sleeve as well. I too was feeling frustrated by what I thought was my slow weight loss. I am 7 weeks post op today and have lost 26 pounds. I think I am coming to realize that my expectations were too high. I have seen others lose weight faster and thought I would do the same. I did not lose any weight last week and then lost 2 pounds this week. This week I was able to add some solid food to my food plan. Maybe this was why. I think you are doing great. You have lost 44 pounds in 11 weeks. I know I am not going to lose that much, but I have to accept my path is different then others. Believe me I do not feel like this everyday, but try to most days. Just keep doing what you are doing. I know by week 8 I am allowed to eat things I can tolerate. Maybe change up the food you are eating and your body may react. Wishing you the best on your journey. Let us know how you are doing.

I am with Pat, I think you are getting to few calories, and your body is trying to protect itself from starvation you do seem to be getting enough protien though, the other thing that happens when you increase your physical exercise is you will start buiding muscle and replacing fat and they kind of balance things out, call your nutritionist and give them a run down of your daily routien when and what you eat/drink, when and how long you exercise and what you do. I know your meal plan is slightly different from what we do in the begining but after the first few months everything is about the same. In my meal plan I eat 5 to 6 small meals a day and have anywhere between 1200 and 1800 calories and 70 to 90 grams of protien respectively. I had some bumps in the road that set me back but when I stick to that plan I am satisfied when I eat and continue a slow weight loss trend. Let us know what you find out from your nutritionist. :cool: Tom

Everyone reaches a plateau where weight loss slows down or stops for a bit. I was told to take your measurements at the beginning, then even if the pounds stall for a time, you may still be losing inches.

I had the rouen y in april 2012. i started at 366 and as of this morning am sitting at 280. i hired a trainer..we meet three days a week and on off days i walk the dogs or hit the treadmill in my home gym. i've got a ways to go. tomorrow we meet in columbus ohio. there is a reunion of sorts with doctors and nurses. my progress i think is fine at 85 pounds. i've got 100 more to go. I've gotten somewhat sloppy about my meals. lots of yogurt, turkey sandwiches and veggies to munch on.

i'm not sure i'm the poster boy for weight loss, but it seems to be working.

Hi Lon, Welcome. Keep up with the fitness program and if you think your meal plans are a little off just start writing down what and when you eat and how much protien and calories you are taking in, that will give you a good idea if you are over doing it on your meals. Hang in there. :cool: Tom

Back