• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2 months out - slow going.

Suzie

Hi, all. So, I've made it 2 months.

The good: I've lost 28 lbs since starting my liquid diet - only 18 lbs since surgery, not as much as expected, but better slow than nothing. I didn't suffer any major complications. I don't seem to be too sensitive to sugar, so I can sometimes have part of a protein bar. I'm not hungry, but when I have cravings, I can tolerate a couple of bites of whatever I'm craving, and it's over.

The bad: I have NO TOLERANCE for ANY of the protein shakes I've tried. I have wasted so much money on the shakes, and frankly, I can't afford to waste any more. I start gagging before I even get them to my mouth. If I manage to drink any, they make me nauseated. Meat proteins - even soft ones like tuna or salmon - get impacted in my stomach. I chew VERY thoroughly, and take small, infrequent bites, but I often get painfully impacted after just a few bites. I'm probably stretching my pouch out by trying to get in enough food protein. UGH! I know that if I can't find a way to get my protein in, I'm going to lose my hair and all my muscle, have no energy, become anemic, and all kinds of other problems, but I just can't seem to get more than 30 or 40 grams per day.

I had been in soooo much pain for the first 6 weeks after surgery. I found out that I had scar tissue adhering to the muscle wall. My doctor kept telling me that "it is normal to have pain and soreness after surgery." SIGH. I know my pain tolerance, and I know I was in too much pain to be "normal." About 2 weeks ago, I felt a huge POP. The scar tissue tore loose, and after a few minutes, I was PAIN FREE, and have been ever since. Blessed relief!!!!

I lost 12 lbs right away, then nothing for 2 weeks. Then 6 lbs, then nothing for 3 weeks. I'm really frustrated!!! I'm walking a mile every day during "lunch," and going to the gym after work. So something SHOULD be happening, more than the little I've lost. I figure that slow is better than not at all, though. It will just take longer. I just hope that my metabolism doesn't adjust before I reach my goal weight!

Hope everyone is doing well, and has a great Christmas, or whatever you celebrate.

-Sue

Sue, I know the feeling about eatting I can't keep hardly any meat down I have tried everything at this point I hate even thinking about food I miss eatting so much I saw my dr as well she like try something else then go back after getting so sick from the first time I don't even want to try it again I know it's all trial and error at this part I'm 5 weeks out almost 6 and I can have 3 to 4 spoon full then I'm done if agree or it does not I know with In the first 2 bites I'm just so tired of it all I don't know what to do at this point I hope food sits better with both of us soon

sue,i am only 1 month out and i have had some small problems. i can eat anything i can tolerate. what i know is that i can not tolerate sugar. last night i was very hungry for spaghetti and meat balls. wow was that a mistake. i have almost dumped 3 different times. but i know that my chest pain is the first clue that i should stop immediately. i finally learned that last night. i have never dumped but have come close. i guess i should listen to my nutritionist. she knows best.
right now my favorite meal is a shrimp cocktail. i eat 10 small to medium shrimp. i can eat them with no ill effects. i eat grilled chicken and grilled fish. i am sorry the hear that you can not tolerate protein drinks. that is the only thing that gets me through. i have great tasting drinks and the value is eithe 25g or 15g of protein. the higher protein grams is only in vanilla and chocolate. i really love the chocolate. the smaller grams of mix is peach mango,orange,berry berry,strawberry kiwi. sometimes i mix two of them. they are all great. the packets cost about 2.25 dollars each but are really worth it. supposedly i can only get it through my nutritionist but i have gone to the manufacturers website and some of them are available there. the email address is as follows r-kane@mindspring.com check it out. good luck

Suzie I know it's hard but you need to try as hard as possible to get as much protien and fluids in that's what will increase your weight loss, try sugar free peanut butter on a spoon, or oatmeal if you can tolerate it, I wish you luck

Hi,
I'm 6 weeks out from surgery and very discouraged. It seems that nothing I eat will stay down- even a bite. Meat of any kind (even pureed) is a no no. Soup makes me sick, mashed potatos make me sick, scrambled eggs make me sick....the dumping is a real problem. I've tried a few of the lean cuisines with the softer food, but it seems everything balls up in my chest. I'm sorry you guys are having troubles too, but it does make me feel better to see that I'm not the only one. I can't even take the chewable vitamins..crushed up, with applesauce, etc. As far as protein drinks, the only one I can tolerate is muscle milk light. I mix it with plain yogurt and a few ice cubes and splenda to make a smoothie. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated......we're going to make it, just gotta to try to stay positive. Barb

Wow, I have been blessed to not have some of the issues you are having. If you can't tolerate the Protein shakes, try Isopure, it's a clear protein drink. It has 40 grams of protein per 20 ounces of liquid. Counts for both your protein and liquid intake. Next, are you logging your food intake? That helps a lot and will allow you to see what your eating. I use myfitnesspal.com. Also my doctor said to only try one new item per day, that way you'll know what your problem is. Also I would highly recommend a support group, being able to talk face to face with someone who's been where you are may really help. If you still cannot get enough protein in, please contact your doctor. I will include all of you in my prayers. Keep us in the loop, stick with it and Good Luck

:cool:

Suzie-Sorry you are having so many issues with getting in your protein. You mentioned that you can't tolerate protein shakes and they make you gag before you even drink them. Is it the smell that is bothering you? Unjury carries a plain and a chicken flavored protein powder that you may be able to tolerate. I believe you can order a sample to try so you don't waste money on a larger container. You can use the plain in oatmeal, in warm or cold beverages and even mix with foods like fat free refried beans and cottage cheese to increase the protein value. The possibilities are endless. The taste is undetectable unless you mix it in plain water, which is not recommended for just that reason. If you can tolerate the Unjury protein powders and are able to increase your protein to a minimum of 60 grams a day you will start losing weight MUCH more rapidly. Protein is the key to successful weight loss. You can order it at Unjury.com There is a phone number on their website that you can call to ask about samples if you don't see them available.

Polo-There is a brand of pasta called Dreamfields that has very few digestable carbs and is well tolerated by bariatric patients when eaten in moderation. You can buy it at Walmart for sure and I'm sure there are other places as well. It's also available from the on-line store that is on this forum. You can look up the nutritional information from store on this forum and also at dreamfields.com The other issue that remains is the sugar in the spaghetti sauce. If you use store bought sauce it usually has quite a bit of sugar but there are some that have an acceptable amount. I suggest making your own simple sauce with tomato paste, water, garlic and italian seasoning or oregano. It makes plenty, enough for several meals. Store bought meatballs are very high in fat and also carbs since most brands add fillers so it's best to make your own.

Pasta used to be my favorite thing pre-surgery but I have lost my craving for it. I have had it only a few times using the Dreamfields brand and have not had any issues with dumping. Spaghetti and meatballs is one of those things that I would make only if there was someone else to eat it besides myself but it probably freezes well, at least the sauce and meatballs. If you were my neighbor I would whip us up a batch now and then :) :) :)

I love this support group! I appreciate all of the tips and stories, and support from everyone.

blwsaw, it sounds like you are having a much harder time than I am, since you can't even keep down soft, non-protein foods like applesauce and soup. I'd really talk to your doctor about that one. The exit from your pouch into your small intestine could be TOO small...just a thought. I've heard that it's a quick and relatively painless procedure to have that fixed. Just a thought.

fkrebs, I tried a sample of the isopure last night (my mom works at a gym that sells it), and it didn't make me gag. She gave me 2 baggies, each with enough powder to make 1 full serving, so I can try them out. 50 grams of protein per serving!!!!!! I'd only have to drink 12 oz. of the stuff daily, with a little cottage cheese or yogurt during the day, to make my 60 grams! WOOHOO! (Can't tell how much that thought excites me, can you? lol)

Pat, thank you so much for the advice on the unjury. I had tried their vanilla and chocolate, and was only able to get a sip or two down. I'll have to see if I can get samples of the chicken and unflavored that you mentioned. I think that the reason I sometimes gag at the smell of some drinks is because I'm remembering the nausea from others. I know that's a mental thing, and I'm trying to get over it. Working on keeping the mindset that this is something I'll be doing for the rest of my life, not just until I reach my goal weight. That mindset is helping, but it's a work in progress.

Last night, I had 3 bites of soft salmon. I had to spit out the fourth bite, because I could feel the pain starting. I guess I'm just going to move backwards, and concentrate on the protein shakes, and very soft foods like cottage cheese and yogurts, and stop trying to push the meats. They are just causing me frustration. I'll try them again at a later time. Again, thank you all for your support and suggestions. Have a Merry Christmas!

Hi, Suzie,

It's good to hear you have found a protein supplement you like.

Be careful of accidentlally shorting yourself on your protein requirements without even knowing it. There's a reason the vast majority of protein supplements have from 15-25 grams of protein per serving.

It's all fine and well that Isopure states it has 50 grams of protein per serving.

However, most nutritionists, and some other medicos, argue that the body can only absorb 15-20 grams of protein at a time, with the possible exception being hardcore bodybuilders.

Limiting yourself to the 50 grams/serving Isopure might work if you divide a serving in half and take each at separate times during the day. Then, later, a third drink to make up your 60 gram minimum.

Be safe.

Be well.

And a Merry Christmas to all!!!

Last edited:
Back