• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2 weeks post op

Jane

Its been 2 weeks and i've lost 14 pounds...The first week was hard but it is beginning to get easier. I am having trouble getting my water and protein in every day. The protein drinks are too sweet for me so I got some unflavored protein powder to put over my food...hope this helps. Being really tired is the only thing bothering me right now. I'm not in any pain, and (knock on wood) have not been nauseated.
So far so good:)

Hi Jane, you are right on track, I found it very difficult to get my fluids and protien in but remeber the water you use in your shake mix or fluid ozs if pre made shakes count toward you daily fluid intake so you may be doing better than you think. Keep up the good work it gets easier. :cool: Tom

Right behind you, Jane. My surgery was 8 days ago. Still slightly sore (especially if I Sneeze, lol), and no energy, but things are getting better. I too have trouble getting in my water and protein, but do the best that I can. So good luck to you, happy weight loss, and keep drinking. :)

I remember the sneezing pains :( but the laughter pain was the worst because when something was funny it hrt to laugh but I had to:p, it will go away slowly, just hang in there. :cool: Tom

Tom, I couldn't laugh either at first. I even got annoyed with my wife for saying something funny that caused me to laugh, lol. I asked her to stop making me laugh and get serious until I healed up. Well, she told me to stick it in my ear, and I have been painfully laughing ever since!!

Jane-Congratulations on your 14 pound weight loss!!! Being tired all the time is normal for now and will start to improve after 2 months. It took me about 3 months to get my normal energy back. Keep in mind you just had a major surgery so between your body healing itself, lower calorie consumption and wieght loss it's going to take time to feel normal again.

Try using half flavored and half unflavored protein powder to make your drinks less sweet, throw in a few ice cubes and mix in a blender to make a thick slurry, great for this hot weather. Like Tom mentioned, your protein drinks count towards your fluid goals as does sugar free Jello and popsicles :) Keep up the good work.

Congratulatons. I am 16 days post op. I have only lost 9 pounds, which is a bit discouraging. I am unable to use the flavored protein. I am using Unjury unflavored and it disolves well in skim milk. I tried it in broth, but you can't get the broth too hot so drinking cold broth didn't work for me. I am not really feeling hungry so I am content with 2 protein shakes a day and unflavored yogart. Thats just around 60 grams of protein. Some days I get in more water, which is my only beverage, than others. I can't eat anything else due to another medical problem. I think at the end of week 4 I can add a few things. Well good luck it sounds like you are doing great.

im new to the site been 6 days since surgury the only thing is a mild headache which i have been taking liquid tylenol for. its tough getting the water requied this is great to be able to share the experience

Hi Rich, Welcome. You are doing great on the weight loss, I know it is difficult to get all the fluids in you need but keep trying, remember your protien drinks also count as fluid intake. Fluids and protien greatl aide in the healing prosses, the headaches may be from dehydration so if you can keep the fluid intake up that will also help get rid of the headaches, I always kept a water bottle with me full of chrytal light or just plain water, so just keep sip, sip, sipping the water. :cool: Tom

Welcome, Rich. It is hard for me as well to keep drinking all the time, and some days I fall a little short on the water requirements, but I just keep plugging. So just keep sip sip sipping yourself. Sounds like you're doing good.

Back