• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

20 Years Old & Have A Brand New Life! :)

Hey Everyone,

My name is Laura, I'm 20 years old and I recently had RYN/Gastric Bypass on October 29th, 2012. The day after my birthday! I always told myself it was the greatest birthday gift to myself, I'll ever have. I'm new to the support group and I was wanting to find other people that might be in the same situations that I'm in. I'll be honest, at my support group, many people give me dirty looks, or rude remarks due to my rapid weight loss. I understand that I am young and I have a lot going for me with my age but I honestly feel so embarrassed about my weight loss. Being now 3 weeks post op, I feel as though I'm needing just some more support from others. I am a full-time college student while enduring this crazy life change but it would be GREAT to see if there is anyone my own age going through the same issues that I am, also anyone who can relate no matter the age. I go to school at West Virginia University studying Geology & Petroleum Engineering and I would love to have a boost reminding me that even though my situation is more challenging then most that I'm not alone.

Anyways, I'm off to scope some more forums, but most definitely to make more friends!

Hi Laura, Congrats on doing a great job on weight loss. How much have you lost? My name is Carla, I am 57 but don't feel that old. My surgery is next Wed Nov. 21 the day before Thanksgiving. I was at the hospital Monday for some tests. Any one of the x-ray tech got real nasty with me because She didn't think I was big enough for the surgery, and i was wasting the Dr. time. People are just rude. Hope you are feeling well. And, drinking your water, and protein. LOL I'm here if you ever need friend. Hugs

Thanks so much Carla! You seem like such a sweetheart :) Also it is how young you feel, never how old you are. I've lost a complete 30lbs in 3 weeks post op. I'm proud of it, especially when a woman that had her surgery the week before mine had only lost 15lbs. I lost double her, makes me proud. However, people are extremely rude! It makes me sad that people who are to support you just turn their heads and talk. However, I take it as a push to work harder. Good luck on your surgery! It's so exciting and such a fun time up until the surgery. I'm here if you ever have any questions post op as well. I've had a ton, and I've had to figure them out on my own with my support group here at WVU and also my surgeon. I'm always here for help as well. :)

Hi & Congratulations....just remember...everyone is different! Do NOT compare your experience with anyone elses...take the knowledge as a guideline...you may never experience what others have on your journey, so don't be anxious about it. Remember there may come a day where your weight loss will taper off or stop...don't let this discourage you because you were doing so well in the beginning...Scales are for fish! Concentrate on your health! The weight will get there! Good Luck!

Laura, any advise for the surgery, or right after would very helpful. I want to work hard and lose the weight like you. Did you walk a lot? What about your protein? We don't have a support group close to me so I am using this site. And I'm really loving it here. Take care. Hugs

Firstly, thanks Jules. I've really learned that over the past few days and I kinda have the brush it off attitude since I encountered that support group meeting that I was not happy with. Thanks so much for the support, there are days I doubt myself but I'm truly put back into place and go back to working hard and working out.

Carla, okay well I will tell you this. Before I went to surgery I did work out. I walked a lot, however I walk a lot normally on a daily basis being on a college campus in the mountains of West Virginia. Haha, however, I walked and walked and walked! Can't reiterate that enough. :) I had family just walk causally with me, or walk on a treadmill with my sister. She is my rock on this whole journey. Also make sure you have a STRONG support system. My surgeon said it on the first day he met anyone at the inquiry meeting, "Your weakest relationships will NOT make it through" and that he was VERY true about. My boyfriend who is a Special Forces Army, where distance is always a factor with us, has tested us. He doesn't like that guys are starting to notice my clothes are looser, but just always reassure that you're not going anywhere to anyone who is your significant other. Best advice I can give on that! hahaha :) Okay, so surgery! Well firstly you will probably be on a pain pump the first day, enjoy it! hahaha I was put on liquid loritab, which is a liquid version of the morphine. I can tell you that you should get up and walk after surgery as much as you can. The gases in your stomach will make you feel so uncomfortable that it will ache. The best thing to do is walk as much as you can! It releases thee gases from your stomach and lets you pass gas yourself. The more gas you pass the better! :) Post op dieting will be rough, you won't know when you're full right away but make sure you intake all the water you can! It will prevent dehydration and also will let your bowels properly work. I'll be honest I had constipation and then diarrhea issues, it's perfectly normal. My surgeon is actually one of my best friends so if you ever want questions answered I can always give you his name and number. :)

Hi there Laura, I just had my surgery on Tuesday 11/13. I am 46 years old and I had 2 nurses tell me the same thing that I was not large enough for the surgery, little did they know that I am a diabetic and that is exactly why I am having the surgery to cure myself of such a horrible disease!! But at the end of the day we know what we are doing and why and we DO NOT have to answer to anyone!!

I am very proud of you, continue the good work and hold your head high and do not be embarrassed but be proud of your accomplishment and the healthy life you have a head of you!!!!!

Thank you so much! Being at my age, I had many remarks because I "walk on campus all day" or I "wasn't at the same level" however I did have a nurse who was a 23 year old hit on me while I was in the hospital. He got me up walking the whole time I was there and it was nice to talk to someone who completely understood and was judgement free. My surgeon did it for preventive matters, I told him on my 21st birthday I wanted to be wearing clothes I've never worn before in my life and he made me that promise. Thanks so much for your support and don't hesitate to talk to me ever. I'll keep posting how I'm doing...that's when I stop weighing myself everyday lol.

Hi Laura, Welcome. Congratulations on your weight loss:D Like somone else said don't compare weight loss rates with each other we are all so different and it just isn't fair to any of us. There is absalutly no reason at all to be embarased about your journey, it is yours and no one elses to judge, be proud of yourself! I take it from your post you have struggled with weight most of your life, don't worry most if not all of us here have. You have more than likely escaped high blood prssure, dibetes and a host of other weight related issues that come about from morbid obesity. You will have to be diligent about taking your vitamin supplaments and taking annual blood work once you get all your vitamin levels to stabalize but that is much better than dealing with all the other health issues that come with obesity. So don't worry about the folks in that support group and try to find one with a more understanding group of people, and we are always here to lean on too. :cool: Tom

Hi Laura,

I am 69 but I feel like I can relate to you like I do to my Grandchildren around your age. In the first place, it was not only rude of hospital workers to question your motives or desires, but also very unprofessional. I would report someone like that to the Supervisor of that department and to my surgeon as well.

My story goes this way, another lady who had surgery two days after I did and who went to the same support group I did had lost 48 pounds while I had lost 28 pounds. They all clapped as much for her as they did for me. She was 20 years younger, working, and was able to exercise much more than I am. Fifteen minutes on the treadmill is about all I can manage at one time in Winter but I swim about an hour a day in the summer. So, you have to accept the fact that some people will lose faster than others for different reasons.

Also, the different surgeries will lose weight at different rates. My lapband is slow but I am averaging better than 5 pounds a month which is good for someone of my age and physical ability.

Just remember to take your vitamins, drink your protein shakes or get in your protein and water. I hope you carry your water with you as you walk around the campus. And, keep all your followup appointments.

The idea is to get healthy. It isn't a race. You sound like a very together young lady and I admire your decision to get healthy. Take care and Goo luck. Come back often and keep us posted on your progress.

Joy

Welcome to the forum, Laura and congratulations on your weight loss and your good attitude. Everyone above posted what I want to say, so I'll just say welcome, and BTW, dump the boyfriend. No one needs a jealous idiot at any age. :)

Hi Laura! My name is Erin and I know you posted this a long time ago, but I am 19 and going to have surgery in a few months. I'm really excited about it because I have been overweight most of my life. I'm a full-time college student at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland. The thing you mentioned about being embarrassed by your weight loss - I have been feeling the same way and I haven't even started loosing yet! How did you battle that? Also, did you have any luck finding other people our age in any other online groups or anything? I just feel like doing this in college is a completely different experience than a lot of people have when having surgery.

I'd love to hear from you! :)

Back