• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

23yr male old new to Forum

Tyler

Hi, i am a 23 yr old male that has been fat my entire life. Its tearing my body apart, I have 3 herniated disks in my lumbar and due to an accident over the summer i now have severe left knee trouble. I have lost weight on my own before but never succeeded in keeping it off. My freshman year i was well over 400lbs but by time i graduated i was down to 272lbs. I had never felt or looked so good in my life. Over the last five yrs i have put several pounds back on. I guess why im coming here is i freaking out, my surgery date is right around the corner and i am having major second thoughts about it. My mother is actually two weeks out of surgery and doing very well. She had the surgery due to her severe diabetes, which does run in my family and is just one more reason i guess. I would like to get any feedback possible maybe from someone around the same age. Thanks. I know i am the only one that can make that decision but i could use a little reassurance!!

Congratulations on your decision to get healthy. The roller coaster of emotions you are feeling right now are perfectly normal. I think we all regardless of age have felt pretty much the same way. I don't know the ages of most people here but I am sure there are many younger than I am. Take care and good luck.

Tyler-I'm double your age plus 12 but I'm going to give you feedback anyway. First off, welcome to the forum and congratulations on considering WLS. Rest assured that freaking out over having surgery is a normal reaction. There are dozens of posts on this forum regarding just that. It's called the emotional roller coaster ride. You and only you can decide is WLS is right for you. You just need to ask yourself a few questions like: Do you want to be overweight your entire life? Is your health being negatively impacted by your weight? Are you happy at your current weight? Can you lose weight and keep it off on your own? You have already asked yourself some of these questions. Ma I suggest that you at least attend a weight loss seminar that a bariatric surgeon has set up. Once you attend the seminar and learn more about the types of surgeries available set up a consult with the surgeon and take a list of all of your questions with you. After that make a decision whether or not to proceed with surgery. You will be so much more educated that you will be able to make an informed decision. Knowledge is power!!! You have your entire life ahead of you and you need to decide how you want to live it.

Please come back to the forum and let us know how you are doing.

Hi Tyler, Welcome to the forum. You'll find that the emotional roller coaster you are on continues for a while after surgery, but it does even out once you get used to your new life. The best thing you can do is go over your reasons for having the surgery in the first place and use that to relax you when you get nervous. I keep a photo of my 5 year old grandson as my inspiration and look at it when I'm feeling frustrated, confused or whatever. It reminds me of why I chose WLS in the first place. Good luck and keep us in the loop.

:cool:

Tyler, congratulations on reaching out. It's a difficult thing to do. I haven't had my surgery yet. My paperwork is being submitted to the insurance company today or tomorrow. I'm on pins and needles. Maybe God is teaching me more patience. Continue sharing your journey. It helps not only you but others who are experiencing the same thing.

Well I just had my surgery not to long ago I had it on 12-12-12 and I was convinced that was either a lucky date.....Or a very bad day to have surgery! lol I was so scared even as they wheeled me back for surgery but I kept thinking "If I keep living the way I am, I won't be around for long or I won't be living a life I want, so just do it, and if the worst happens I guess it just happens a little sooner then it would have if you hadn't done it at all" I don't know if that helps? but like they say in the movies "Get busy livin, or get busy dyin." Good luck I know it will be good for you!

Hi,
I'm glad you're not waiting any longer to consider surgery. I'm 54 and had my surgery last month. Don't give up or feel that you should try to lose the weight all on your own- trust me, it's a lot of frustration. Please come to the forums with ANY questions or fears you might have....you need all the support you can get. You should be proud of yourself for taking this steps. Any encouragement I can give you feel free to ask. It's scary but just think, you'll be giving yourself the best gift possible. Barb

Thanks everyone i have a surgury date!!! 2/11/13 a week after my 24 birthday. I am excited but full of anxiety as well. I have several things going on and its making my life very hard. I am unable to work due to my knee and back problems and am struggling to get some sort of disability. Can anyone help me on that??

Back