• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

3 1/2 years post op RNY

faith

Hello everyone . I had the RNY Dec.2008. It was the best decision for me. I wished I would've done it sooner. I would've if my insurance would've coverred it. By the time I had it I had multiple health problems.. and insurance still wouldn't cover any of it. It was worth every penny.

I lost 130 Lbs. and kept it off for 2 1/2 years... then habits started coming back. The stress in my life quadrupled (emotional eatter) and the weight piled on. I am now 30 lbs. heavier than my lowest weight. This so so discouraging to think that I would allow this to happen. My clothes have gone up 2 sizes and I was so good to purge my closet of clothes that were too big. So now I need to shop!...for BIGGER clothes..:eek::
I've read posts on here that have been inspiring. The five day pouch test is something I may try. I am able to eat sugar. I have just recently been unable to eat ice cream although I can eat yogurt and drink milk. I am glad that I am unable to eat the ice cream. I wish I had dumping everytime I ate sugar laden food.

I was involved in a support group where I had my surgery but moved 3 hours away. I've tried attending a local support group but it is bascially advertisement for the surgery. When you've had a great support group which included a dietician, nurses, doctors, special speakers and a psychologist lead the program you just can't top that.

I would welcome any encouragement as far as getting back on track. Who has been there done that and successfully relost the weight? I know there are people out there who have been diligent in redoing the program.
And people who are this far post op.. how many grams of protein are you eatting a day? What are the habits of successful losers? I do know that I need to beef up my exercise. I am consistent about half the time. YIKES!

Thanks for listening.

Hi Faith, Welcome. It sounds like you know where you need improvement so you are one step ahead of the game:D! Sorry to hear you can't make it to your old support group, it sounds very much like my local support group, it is part of the bariatric cenbters after care to help us keep it off after we take it off and they help us in so many other ways also, they are also open to any bariatric patient no matter where they had ther WLS. Give the TOPS a try like Pat mentioned and start that 5 day pouch test to get yourself back on track, it is only 30 pounds so once your in the groove again it will become old hat. Let us know how you are doing, we're all here for you. :cool: Tom

thank you for your replies

Pat, I have attended TOPS in my local community a couple years ago but couldn't seem to feel like I was part of it. I don't think it was the people there, I think it was me. Years ago I was living in another community and really enjoyed TOPS. I may need to give another group a try. The one I went to is on a night that I can't make- that may hav been the reason I didn't feel connected- I could only make the meetings half the time. So..no wonder..

Tom , I am starting the five day pouch test today! I have started it in the past and never finished it. I will post an update or two each day for the support and encouragement that I need to get me through this. I am committed to journaling each sip or bite and to exercise daily- even if it is for 10 minute spurts.

I appreciate the support of this group and hope that I can offer support in some fashion to others as well.

Kim

I did the 5 day pouch test and discovered that my pouch is still there and functioning! I've lost 5 lbs.! This has really helped me to get back on track. I did go to a picnic yesterday and have a piece of pie.. then I got right back on track. I did not allow myself to continue the downward spiral. I can't wait to be in new numbers!!!
I have started using the protein supplements again to help me thru slump periods. I used to eat almonds every day at 3pm. I am going to start this again. I am using Protein Ice that I found at my local Nutrition Pit. A bottle has 42 grams of protein and no carbs! I just sip it in intervals throughout the day. I now like it better than the Isopure liquid that I used to buy.

Thats wonerful:D!!! Protien and a regular meal schedule are two key things to help keep us on track, have a wonerful Labor Day! :cool: Tom

Faith,

You have kicked your weight gain Bugga Bear in its posterior portion and sent it running!!! YOU did it. Congratulations and Kudos to you.

How are you coming with a support group? And an exercise plan?

Please check in and let us know how you're doing.

Well I am not as consistent with my exercise plan as I would like...and need to be. I am working on this. I have scheduled a personal eval with a trainer to get me restarted on the right program for me. I started Weight Watchers in Nov. and have lost 2 lbs. The support has been good and I would've gained had I not had a support group. I am thinking that I need to stick closer to a bariatric diet as opposed to WW.... so many choices gets me in trouble. I plan to check in here more frequently to give and receive support. I am looking forward to starting the downward curve of losing weight..weigh down!

Back