• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

3 days Post-op - Did any of you not want anything but water?

I had my surgery Monday and I'm feeling good but have no desire to "eat" as in jello, broth or popsicles... I am drinking my water though and like it... I did have 3-4 bites of jello in the hospital that was fine... and one sip of broth that made me sick. Did anyone else have this issue? The not wanting to eat anything? The doctor said I didn't have to this first week... still curious on others experiences???

Dragonfly1993-It was the same way for me. The worst part was the stuff I had to drink for the swallow test the day after surgery :( I swear I can still taste it sometimes *LOL*

I was the same way for the first week. The most I got down was a couple of sips of diluted cranberry juice. Not broth or jello or anything else. It got better the second week. I wouldn't sweat it. You should start drinking the protein shakes when you can, but the first week is not that important. Good luck and feel better.

Dragonfly1933-It's important to stay hydrated so just make sure to keep drinking water. Keep it with you at all times and sip, sip, sip all day long. One sign of dehydration is nausea so if you feel nauseous you need to drink more water to keep youself out of the ER with a fluid IV sticking in your arm.

Absolutely felt the same way. It was a week or so before I could even think about trying anything. It gets easier. The fluid intake is still hard for me, I have to push myself. Its been 4 weeks for me. Good Luck.

YUp it happened to me, I had to remind myself to eat for the first year or I would forget:p Eventually towardthe end of my first year I got my appatite back. :cool: Tom

Tom-I hate you every time I read a post from you about not having an appetite for a year *LOL* Just kidding of course. I started scaling back on the number of small meals I eat daily to see if that will boost my weight loss. Due to having issues with sleeping I tend to eat 1 or 2 small "extra" meals on the nights I can't sleep for more than 2 hours. Although the calorie amounts are relatively small I tend to use them for carbs instead of protein sometimes :( Hopefully this modification will work for me.

Hi Pat, have you tried subbing a protien bar or shake with a little pop corn for that carb satisfaction for a snack or meal, it will boost your protien intake and it should satisfy you until the next meal. :cool:

Yep!! I'm new here. Just had my surgery on the 24th of Sept. and I just want to drink (Gobble) water all day! just unsure of how much at a time shuld I be drinking. Yikes

Hi Pat, have you tried subbing a protien bar or shake with a little pop corn for that carb satisfaction for a snack or meal, it will boost your protien intake and it should satisfy you until the next meal. :cool:

Tom-About 2 months ago I added popcorn or a protein bar to my meal plan in place of a half sandwich or some soup because it gave me more protein. I used to eat a lot of popcorn (2-100 calorie bags a day) a while back but stopped because of too many carbs. Adding back the popcorn or a protein bar didn't increase my weight loss. Since I started journaling again I can see where most of my calories are coming from and can scale back on these particular items or maybe even eliminate them completely. I love cheese and have been eating it several times a day (block type cheese). Even the 2% has a lot of fat and calories in a small serving. If I can cut my cheese portions in half that should help a lot. The other thing that should help is not to eat during the hours I should be sleeping. This is going to be a tough one since that is when I feel the most hungry for some reason (like right now). I need to make sure I always have fresh salad greens on hand so at least I can have them with some fat free dressing at times like this. But the shake and popcorn idea sounds good for a meal combination and it's funny you mentioned it because that's what I had for dinner last night :) It stayed with me a long time so I'm going to try that for dinner for a week to see what happens :)

Hi Pat, I love cheese too I have it once a day sometimes twice with my taco's, love them taco's:eek: I like to have a shake for breakfast everyday and I try and have a little carb of somesort with it just so I feel full a little longer, otherwise I am hungry again about an hour later and that is way to soon for my snack:rolleyes: Let me know how the popcorn and shake goes I might start having that for a snack this winter when I am not burning as many calories. :cool:

Since starting to journal again I have lost a couple of pounds. Got tired of the popcorn and shake already and switched over to a grilled cheese on Aunt Millie's 35 calorie bread and 1 or 2 slices of 2% American cheese singles, usually Borden's brand. I lightly mist the bread with a spray oil, just enough to know it's there and cook in a teflon pan.

i will probably be switching between the grilled cheese and popcorn and shake for my dinner. Been eating apples too, I found some really small Gala apples (2 1/4 inch diameter) the last time I shopped. I find apples the perfect thing to stick in a baggie and kepp in the car when running errands or keeping appointments. I also like to take along one of those Ostrim BBQ flavor meat sticks.

Back