• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

30 Day BACK TO BASICS Challenge

Is dancing a form of exercise? I have a playlist I use and just dance around for about 45 minutes. It's fast dancing. By myself I can dance like a fool!! But does it count as exercise or do I have to go walking? Also, people are posting "Tracking", what is that? Writing everything in a journal? And I never count calories, I count protein. I guess I need to start doing both. But I'm only close to 3 months from surgery so I have just been counting protein.

Is dancing a form of exercise? I have a playlist I use and just dance around for about 45 minutes. It's fast dancing. By myself I can dance like a fool!! But does it count as exercise or do I have to go walking? Also, people are posting "Tracking", what is that? Writing everything in a journal? And I never count calories, I count protein. I guess I need to start doing both. But I'm only close to 3 months from surgery so I have just been counting protein.
Hello Linda

I do not count calories I just find that information on my Baritastic app. I was only told to count water and proteins. I also would say if you are getting your heart rate up with dancing it would be exercise.

Day 28

Water: 72
Protein: 85
Calories: 1318
Exercise: no
Weekly Weigh In: -1.1

We're coming up on the end of the month tomorrow but I decided to use my regular weekly weigh in as my final for the month as well. I am thinking of doing another challenge next month with different goals. Let me know if you have anything you'd like to add, if you're planning to join in.

Absolutely yes! Any additional activity can be counted as exercise. When I refer to tracking, I am putting all my food into an app, that counts all those number up for me. I definitely cannot be tracking all that by hand. You don't have to count calories this early out. I am at about 16 months post op and need to keep better track of what's going in and out.

Day 28

Water: 72
Protein: 85
Calories: 1318
Exercise: no
Weekly Weigh In: -1.1

We're coming up on the end of the month tomorrow but I decided to use my regular weekly weigh in as my final for the month as well. I am thinking of doing another challenge next month with different goals. Let me know if you have anything you'd like to add, if you're planning to join in.
I also would like to start a new Challenge.

Linda, I've been calling what I do dancercize, as I twist, step, wave my arms around, etc. It puts me in mind of all of those 80s aerobics classes (that I never took) and Richard Simmons' Sweating to the Oldies tapes that I used to do. Any movement to music or movement in general burns calories and helps work your muscles. That's why I count that as exercise daily.

Missy, I am perfectly happy continuing tracking protein, water, and exercise, and I hope you'll continue this part of the challenge each month please. It really helps me make better choices, especially including getting my exercise back on track. Anything else that you'd like to add to the challenge is ok fine by me.

I'm thinking the following work for me:

Tracking - more days than not -
Water: At least 32 of my daily ounces from plain ol' water. (I drink mostly flavored.)
Gratitude: I will list 1 thing I am grateful for each day and how it improves my life.
* Once a week, the thing I'm grateful for will be something to do with ME! (example: I'm grateful for my .. stubbornness lol)
Movement: at least 15 minutes, in addition to my regular activity, every day.
Food: One meal/snack per day will be veggie based.

You can make your own goals to go with the BOLD topics, to fit your situation. For example, if you already drink nothing but plain water. You can change food to your protein goals if you are still not meeting them etc.
But I particularly like the gratitude one, so I hope you'll all stick with that. It's easy to get caught up in our lives and where we're struggling. Which makes it easy to forget to be grateful for not only those things we love and value but especially the things we love and value about ourselves.

I'll post a new thread challenge on the 1st. If you would like me to add anything for this month, please lemme know.

Water: At least 32 of my daily ounces from plain ol' water. (I drink mostly flavored.)
Gratitude: I will list 1 thing I am grateful for each day and how it improves my life.
* Once a week, the thing I'm grateful for will be something to do with ME! (example: I'm grateful for my .. stubbornness lol)

You can make your own goals to go with the BOLD topics, to fit your situation. For example, if you already drink nothing but plain water. You can change food to your protein goals if you are still not meeting them etc.
But I particularly like the gratitude one, so I hope you'll all stick with that. It's easy to get caught up in our lives and where we're struggling. Which makes it easy to forget to be grateful for not only those things we love and value but especially the things we love and value about ourselves.

I'll post a new thread challenge on the 1st. If you would like me to add anything for this month, please lemme know.
Oh Wow Missy, HUGE hugs from WV for coming up with this list. I'm gonna start a little early for next month's 1st gratitude acknowledgement with a shoutout to you, Missy, for your thoughtfulness. ❤❤❤❤

Absolutely yes! Any additional activity can be counted as exercise. When I refer to tracking, I am putting all my food into an app, that counts all those number up for me. I definitely cannot be tracking all that by hand. You don't have to count calories this early out. I am at about 16 months post op and need to keep better track of what's going in and out.
What app do you use?

I would be interested but I know that I won’t track calories anymore. I hated doing it while I needed it, and until I feel like I need it again, I’m not going to put myself through that stress with everything else going on in my life. I would track water, protein, and exercise because right now I dont exercise at all I know I should. And I love the idea about gratitude. I do a 30 day gratitude challenge on Twitter every year in November, so I’d totally do that for 2 months straight because I have a lot to be grateful for!

Love adding in the gratitude, that is something I make sure I acknowledge before I pray but sometimes I get busy and forget, or sleep late and my whole routine gets messed up. I will give thought to anything I might add for October

I would be interested but I know that I won’t track calories anymore. I hated doing it while I needed it, and until I feel like I need it again, I’m not going to put myself through that stress with everything else going on in my life. I would track water, protein, and exercise because right now I dont exercise at all I know I should. And I love the idea about gratitude. I do a 30 day gratitude challenge on Twitter every year in November, so I’d totally do that for 2 months straight because I have a lot to be grateful for!
I get it. I wasn't tracking calories necessarily, they just come up when I track the rest. And for October, I'm only acknowledging that I'm tracking more days than not, without worrying about the actual numbers. So feel free to join in. You can pick and choose which topics would help you or that you would enjoy. Let us know where you get your twitter gratitude challenge. That sounds like fun.

Day 29

Tracking: Yes
Protein: 80
Water: 48
Calories: 1501
Exercise: No

Congrats to all of you who made it through the September challenge. I am down about 3.5lbs and have made better choices throughout the month. I'm discovering that I am a "I DID IT!! and now I don't have to do it anymore!" type of person :oops: .. which doesn't work for weight loss or maintenance Just knowing we're all in it together and that I'm going to have to "show my work" makes me try a little harder. I appreciate every one of you and hope to see you next month.

Back