• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

30 Day BACK TO BASICS Challenge

Do you realize that you burn off 100 calories in a 1-mile walk? You burned half your daily calories by walking.

If you're burning calories like this, you may be losing important nutrients.

Because you can't tell your body to only burn fat, you may be worse off than when you started.

I don't have any wisdom about this, and the dynamic applies to everyone on this thread. I don't walk for exercise. I do repetitive exercises, targeting muscle groups. The energy transfers into muscles as you move.

In truth, I don't exercise very much. I sit on my ads and watch tv, think. write. But if I did, I'd focus on muscle groups like lats and the gluteus maximus! I'm lucky to have a pretty well-proportioned body below the hip, but that belly... This will be addressed with my panniculectomy somewhat. But I'm going to have a whole new figure problem after that.

The question for me is always do aerobics, or is it time target muscle groups? Only I can answer that.

My dad and mom passed down a lot of athletic genes to us. But it's still possible to smother muscle with fat.

Sometimes I walk with my palms covering each cheek, and study the muscle movement. It's amazing how much they're hidden by fat.

I guess if I walked, I'd eat first, planning to use food for energy. Then I'd eat again when finished, and take supplements. When I finished.

A calorie is a unit of heat. That's why you feel hot when burning them. Trivia.

This is so smart. My dad used to snack between meals, even minutes before supper, and I asked him why he couldn't just wait five more minutes. He said the snack "took the edge off" his sense of painful hunger.

But he could have dipped into the salad bowl or pinched a bite of the entree. Instead, he'd eat a bowl of cereal or have a sandwich.

There are great strategies like putting a clock on eating, that help curb irregular eating. You did make a SANE choice, Judy, and I salute you. With all you have going on in your life, your instincts to save your life are stronger than sabotage.
Thank you Diane and EVERYONE in this group! Being here keeps me accountable, and I sure need that!

Well, I had my Sunday Funday .. which involved a lot of wine tastings, as you can imagine, since we were driving through Michigan!!
And since I can't keep track mentally, it's anybody's guess. I did only take a taste when hubby hit the fudge shop though, so WIN! And also, I had a great, fun day and bought the WEIRDEST pants I have every seen. The lady who made them said her BFF was wearing them to complete her pirate costume. I said I'm wearing them Tuesday lol

Attachments

• 1632749409197111485094.jpg
    1632749409197111485094.jpg
    895.2 KB · Views: 45
Well, I had my Sunday Funday .. which involved a lot of wine tastings, as you can imagine, since we were driving through Michigan!!
And since I can't keep track mentally, it's anybody's guess. I did only take a taste when hubby hit the fudge shop though, so WIN! And also, I had a great, fun day and bought the WEIRDEST pants I have every seen. The lady who made them said her BFF was wearing them to complete her pirate costume. I said I'm wearing them Tuesday lol
Glad you had a good day Missy. Kudos for only having a taste of the ice cream.!

Let me preface this by saying, I truly LOVE how much we share on this site and how much feedback we give whenever anyone has a question.

That being said, this thread is for a 30 day SELF challenge. Unsolicited feedback on other people's stats is really not helpful. This is not to say you should not share your daily details or dish about whatever is going on in your life. But, when we comment on others statistics, it can make them uncomfortable. I would not appreciate anyone commenting on my stats, and doubt anyone else is feeling open to it either.

In the interest of honesty, I've thought "WOW! That's a LOT of exercise!" or "WOW! That's not many calories!" Which then leads me down the "Am I doing this right?!?" road that we've all been on at some point. But I feel good at the amount of calories I am eating and the amount of exercising I am getting. And only i can be the judge of that.

The point of this thread is to hold ourselves accountable in a judgement free zone. Unless a poster asks specifically for feedback, let's try to keep thsi an encouragement only zone. Thank you.

Let me preface this by saying, I truly LOVE how much we share on this site and how much feedback we give whenever anyone has a question.

That being said, this thread is for a 30 day SELF challenge. Unsolicited feedback on other people's stats is really not helpful. This is not to say you should not share your daily details or dish about whatever is going on in your life. But, when we comment on others statistics, it can make them uncomfortable. I would not appreciate anyone commenting on my stats, and doubt anyone else is feeling open to it either.

In the interest of honesty, I've thought "WOW! That's a LOT of exercise!" or "WOW! That's not many calories!" Which then leads me down the "Am I doing this right?!?" road that we've all been on at some point. But I feel good at the amount of calories I am eating and the amount of exercising I am getting. And only i can be the judge of that.

The point of this thread is to hold ourselves accountable in a judgement free zone. Unless a poster asks specifically for feedback, let's try to keep thsi an encouragement only zone. Thank you.
Hi Missy. I will try to comply with your request. I am not sure if I'm misinterpreting feedback as encouragement, so I'm a bit confused. When you discussed your Sunday Funday, would you have preferred no comments on your experiences, or are you referring to no comments on how many grams of protein, ozs of water, amt of exercise, etc.?

I am asking about this with complete sincerity. I sometimes feel I'm missing some social cues at various times, and I struggle to find the correct response. Please let me know, bc I truly love this thread that you started, and I hope and pray that you will continue this. ❤❤❤❤

I'm not understanding what you're saying. I just re-read all 191 posts and didn't see any judgment.

A few days ago I wanted to respond to someone on this thread, so I popped it out and created a new subject line. I did want to allow this thread its original focus.

If I'm the problem here, so sorry. I haven't even been posting to this thread because I don't need the challenge.

I think it's pretty typical, though, for threads to go off course pretty quickly. I've always wished it didn't happen, but I'd rather people talked than felt nervous about it.

Our group has guidelines. One that used to bug me was when people just posted to say "thank you," which is discouraged in the guidelines. I like to say thanks in a private message for extra love and support.

But to address judgment: it's rarely been a problem, but it's extremely important NOT to judge. Sometimes praise is a judgment. That's when i hit an emoji. I always hope the poster notices it.

Opinion, fact, support, sharing... all good things here. I'll go as far as to say if a thread is specific to a sort of census, neither criticism or encouragement should be included, just stats. But that's NEVER going to happen!:p

Day 27

Water: 72
Protein: 90
Exercise: 20 min walk
Calories; 1457

Specifically, questioning someone's protein, water, calorie intake or expenditure by suggesting that it's too high, too low, and/or out of whack in any way is not helpful in this thread.

None of us are going to have perfect numbers everyday. We also have a group here in very different places in their journey. My calorie intake at 16 months post op is not going to be your calorie intake at 8 weeks post op. Anyone posting any of these numbers is doing so to hold themselves accountable. Not for anyone else to go over them and make determinations on their validity.

Doing so may make a person uncomfortable posting those numbers, which defeats the entire point of this thread and challenge. I just want to make sure that everyone who is doing the challenge is comfortable being involved. That's it. Have a lovely day.

Monday

Protein 56
Water 76
Calories 1247
Exercise yes

Down 8 lbs! Actually that is a little bittersweet. While I am grateful for that loss, I still have to lose more against my weight gain during the funk I was in. Then I can start adding to my total weight loss. Lesson learned!

Last edited:
Oops! Copied my stats from the wrong day. Monday should read...

Protein 63
Water 76
Calories 1336
Exercise yes

Monday

Protein 56
Water 76
Calories 1247
Exercise yes

Down 8 lbs! Actually that is a little bittersweet. While I am grateful for that loss, I still have to lose more against my weight gain during the funk I was in. Then I can start adding to my total weight loss. Lesson learned!

Back