• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

30 Day BACK TO BASICS Challenge

I went to the zoo Thursday night for a Lantern Night and my knees just wouldn't make it. Didn't realize they were that bad. It was A LOT of walking and I had to stop a lot. Luckily my sister-in-law understood. My knees and legs hurt for 2 days after that. See a knee doctor but not until Oct. 15. I am going to try to walk more just around the house. My next appt with my gastric bypass surgeon is Oct. 5th. That will be my 3 month check up and I have only lost 40 lbs so I want to lose a little more by then. I have been having cravings like crazy and as I've said before, the death of my close sister is Oct. 7th and I think I am trying to use food for comfort. Not getting dumping syndrome but eating carbs along with my proteins. Say a prayer that I get back on track! Thanks for being here
Ouch about your knees, I've had both mine replaced and I know all to well that pain. I'm glad you have an appointment coming up to have them looked at.

So sorry for your loss and I will keep you in my prayers. I hope happy memories will comfort you. Sending hugs.

Day 22
Protein 68
Water 57
Exercise 1 hour
Calories 746 I will add this in also

I will add in the new stuff on my house guest. They needed to go to bed before we get home from work so they could leave at 1am. A note was left that we needed to both use my living room as the tv in my husbands would wake them up. Also how they need it quiet when they sleep. Well my husband did use his tv because they have done nothing but make noise until about 2am every night when we do have to ge up and go to work.

Now to the good part we have cameras in/out of our house we have them on at night and when we are not home. The wife had dug in my work bag and took $1,000 out. I had $3,000 to take into work today for the petty money. When I was packing my work bag I could tell things were moved than saw I was missing money. Woke my husband up he first told me I was wrong no one would take this. He went and looked on the computer at the cameras and what does he see but the wife going in my bag and something being taken out and put into her pocket.

My husband now at 5am calls his brother on the phone to ask if they know anything about money being taken out of my work bag. They both say no and act all offended by this.

Now he asked who was driving and asked his brother to pull over he would like to send him the video. Now they had to turn around after driving for about 4 hours to bring the money back that the wife did not take. She was telling her husband that is not what happend, how can you say what is on video is not what happend. Now they get to come into my work to bring the money she took. The husband did not know this happened he was not around.

In the end I now get my wish she will not be at my house again.
UNBELIEVABLE!!!! As if the nonsense about the TV wasn't bad enough!!! I would have said where the nearest hotel was.

Thank goodness you have cameras that backed this up. I just can't even imagine. Makes me glad that I have a small home that can not accommodate guests!!!!!

Wednesday:

I kept repeating that mantra all day.... "I will not eat my feelings, I will not self-medicate", and it worked!

While we did go out for lunch yesterday because we had a previous lunch date with my brother in-law and another family member, I don't normally eat fried food but had coconut shrimp and ate maybe 10 fries but I also had a small cup of potato soup. So my calories may have been high but I didn't let that meal lead to bad thinking such as "I already blew it, so I will eat whatever the rest of the day." I did none of that and ate well the rest of the day. I am proud of myself for that, especially after being in crisis that very morning.

I know I hit my protein goals because I had at least 53 g without counting the lunch.
Water: 74
Exercise: no because after the stress of the morning, my fibromyalgia kicked in and I was physically hurting, instead I took a nice nap in the afternoon.

So far today is quiet (knock on wood) and I am on track.

Day 23
Protein: 95
Water: 80
Tracking: yes
Exercise: no, dammit!
Calories: 1503
It's gotten chilly here and so I haven't been taking my walks. I am going to have to join a gym or start doing my Sweating to the Oldies DVD's lol
What do you guys do for exercise when it's cold(ish)?
Day 23
Water: 80
Protein: 30
Exercise: 25 min walk
Tracking: yes

Oh my, that reference to Sweating to the Oldies brings back some happy memories of my mom & me dancing our butts off to those videos. I sure do love me some Richard Simmons now. He had the most joyful & positive take on exercise and dealing with obesity issues. That was a beautiful trip down memory lane for me. P.S. does that "trip" count as exercise? :D

So far it hasn't been too chilly for outdoor activities here, but yesterday it was only in the high 50s or low 60s with a stout river breeze blowing, so IDK about long walks in the cold.

Luckily my apartment has safe hallways to walk; one round trip is 250 steps. I live on the top floor, so my goal this fall/winter is to start climbing the stairs. I figure that will count as weight bearing exercise, and I have some weights I can carry to strengthen my arms also.

They keep advertising Planet Fitness for about $10 or so to join, and I think it's pretty inexpensive monthly. I am so tempted on one hand, but I almost feel like a Howie Mandel germaphobe on the other. The thought of being inside a gym with sweaty Covid-spreading people & all of that unsanitized equipment makes my skin crawl. Eeeek!

What to do, what to do?

Thursday:

Water: 85
Protein: 80
Calories: 1381
Exercise: No because I went to two different grocery stores and hauled groceries. I don't have a garage so I get extra steps bringing them in. On grocery day I always count that as exercise because it tends to wipe me out.

I feel good about my eating choices. I really didn't have a problem avoiding my husbands junk food and wasn't even tempted, so I am making great progress. I can do this!!!

As for exercising when it is cold, I don't mind it being cooler as long as the wind isn't terrible. I hope I can keep up with my walks for quite a while longer. But what to do come winter? Not sure. I was brought back to memories of Sweating with the Oldies too! :D In fact when I hear certain oldie songs it immediately brings me back to the exercise it went too!

Last year I exercised to some YouTube videos for seniors and then started doing my own thing to music with the exercises I had been doing adding in breaks of walking from room to room in my house swinging my arms. It's better than nothing!!

I am not ready for a gym either because of Covid, though not sure if I would join anyway to be truthful. Our senior center does have a gym room, again not comfortable due to Covid. But I have no problem going to the mall and walking it during early hours before they get crowded.

Thursday:

Water: 85
Protein: 80
Calories: 1381
Exercise: No because I went to two different grocery stores and hauled groceries. I don't have a garage so I get extra steps bringing them in. On grocery day I always count that as exercise because it tends to wipe me out.

I feel good about my eating choices. I really didn't have a problem avoiding my husbands junk food and wasn't even tempted, so I am making great progress. I can do this!!!

As for exercising when it is cold, I don't mind it being cooler as long as the wind isn't terrible. I hope I can keep up with my walks for quite a while longer. But what to do come winter? Not sure. I was brought back to memories of Sweating with the Oldies too! :D In fact when I hear certain oldie songs it immediately brings me back to the exercise it went too!

Last year I exercised to some YouTube videos for seniors and then started doing my own thing to music with the exercises I had been doing adding in breaks of walking from room to room in my house swinging my arms. It's better than nothing!!

I am not ready for a gym either because of Covid, though not sure if I would join anyway to be truthful. Our senior center does have a gym room, again not comfortable due to Covid. But I have no problem going to the mall and walking it during early hours before they get crowded.
I don't like driving very far in the winter, so mall walking is out for me. But Wal-Mart is about 2-3 miles from here, and I'm thinking that would work for daytime indoor walking. That is, if I don't bring my money or debit card along.

I don't like driving very far in the winter, so mall walking is out for me. But Wal-Mart is about 2-3 miles from here, and I'm thinking that would work for daytime indoor walking. That is, if I don't bring my money or debit card along.
Yes, leave the money and/or credit card home and skip the shopping cart as you will be able to do a better job at walking and not stopping for people in the way!

We have my old comfort bike in the basement attached to something that converts it to a stationary bike. My husband and I just switch out the seat and use the same bike.

But my winter exercise of choice is still lap swimming at the Y, believe it or not, I just learned how to swim about 2 years ago, and before covid I was swimming around 3000 yards three times a week. I really miss my time in the pool.

I started out just doing water aerobics on my own, and got to know the life guards really well. They eventually convinced me that I could learn to swim, and I was quite amazed that I did!

But my winter exercise of choice is still lap swimming at the Y, believe it or not, I just learned how to swim about 2 years ago

Me too! I tried and tried to learn along with my siblings, but learned from a doctor that I had more muscle mass than fat, so when I tried to float, I dropped like a rock.

An old boyfriend was horrified that I was going to the Y and using floaties in the pool, so he paid for swimming lessons. I was the only adult in the pool, clutching the edge.

I could never do more than 2 laps, but it was amazing I could even do that.

Me too! I tried and tried to learn along with my siblings, but learned from a doctor that I had more muscle mass than fat, so when I tried to float, I dropped like a rock.

An old boyfriend was horrified that I was going to the Y and using floaties in the pool, so he paid for swimming lessons. I was the only adult in the pool, clutching the edge.

I could never do more than 2 laps, but it was amazing I could even do that.
I chose the toughest person to teach me, the one person I knew would not cut me any slack. I was determined to learn she pushed me until I did. She continued to watch me and coach me from the side of the pool after my lessons ended, as did other life guards there.

They keep advertising Planet Fitness for about $10 or so to join, and I think it's pretty inexpensive monthly. I am so tempted on one hand, but I almost feel like a Howie Mandel germaphobe on the other. The thought of being inside a gym with sweaty Covid-spreading people & all of that unsanitized equipment makes my skin crawl. Eeeek!

What to do, what to do?

Planet Fitness, like every gym, has joining fees. But you can get their basic gym membership for $10 a month. If you want to be able to bring a friend for free and use their massage and/or tanning beds, it's $20 a month. It's no frills but they do keep cleaning supplies everywhere. Supposedly for people to clean up AFTER themselves, but I always cleaned before and after. People are gross, I agree lol

I am thinking of joining the Y though, because they have a sauna, hot tub and a pool. But even the Y is quite a bit more expensive than PF.

Last edited:
Day 24
Nope, no tracking so I'm not sure what went on. I do know I was hungry all day and didn't make the best choices.
I did get some exercise and got ahold of myself early evening, so there is that.

Tomorrow is Sunday FUNday. We're taking off for an all day road trip up to Michigan for . whatever the road brings. (except food, since I'm already planning snacks lol)

Back