• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

4 Days Post OP - Cellulitis at Incinsion sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

robergnm

Trip to the ER today; probably should have gone yesterday. 2 of the 6 incision sites are angry, red, warm and 4-5 or 6" in diameter. Incisions look fine; no drainage to date. The larger, I was informed this is the incision for the stapler has a hard lump the size of a med, hard cooked egg. The other, maybe a gulf ball.

Was given IV antibiotics, then after the blood test, maganesium via IV along with a pill crusher, an individual size applesauce and 2 - 20 mg magnesium. Blood test revealed no problem w/white blood cell count but magnesium at a 3.

Issued Rx for Levaquin; I'm going to follow up to find out if this antibiotic or another that I'm not allergic to so I don't have one more pill to crush & work into meal plan. My husband told me that I was a 3.8 after surg so they gave me some via IV then. This concerns me.

Has anyone else had any of these types of problems?

My first follow up visit is scheduled for 06/25/12 though my surg date was 06/06/12. I think 19 days between surg & first follow up post surg is far too long. When I call tomorrow I'm going to request an earlier date.

I'm finding out more about myself, what's needed on this journey, what's working, what's NOT working.
Complications, yes, I'm going to have some - expected I would; had complications during surg back in 2001 for Ovarian Cancer.

Any responses in regards to post surg issues, cellulitis, liquid non-pennicilin, low magnesium, etc. - greatly appreciated.

Hi Mary. My first follow up was at one week and then 3 weeks after that then one mont then 3 months I think then at 6 months, so you are right in my opinion 19 days is to long. I healed up fine with no issues thankfully. I didn't have any vitamin deficencies until I was 1 and 2 years out, at one year it was D3 and this year it was D3 B12 and a low white blood count, not sure what theat is all about my my doctor said not to worry so I wont. Keep listening to your body, it will tell you if things aren't right and hound your doctor for a quicker follow up. Hopefully the antibiotics work. :cool: Tom

Mary-Cellulitis can become serious quickly so please finish all of your antibiotics even if you are feeling better. You may have picked it up while you were in the hospital. I used to get cellulitis almost every summer on my abdomen just above or next to my navel. It started 6 or 7 years ago and I have a theory as to why I was getting it. I used to rent a permanent camp site at a private campground so I could just keep my camper there all year. The first tme I got cellulitus was several days after I used the public showers at the campground, and so it went for the next three years. When I stopped using the showers I never got cellulitus again so I think someone else who was camping there was infected and passing it around. Let us know how you are doing.

Thanks, I'm very aware of its severity; started on levaquin at ER last night & just ground one down and sprinkled the whole, nasty caplet into some plain greek yougurt to get it down.

Is there any know way to get these nasty-tastin' meds down into the stomach.

Along with the pain I'm experiencing I'm not sure I made the best decision for me uet; jury is still open on this one.
Weighed myself before surg & when I came home same if not a few lbs great, yesterday - heavier - I do understand.
The lower back pain, pain from cellulitis site, incisions combined - most UNFUN.

I knew it wouldn't be easy but never imagined this --- this too shall pass but anytime now is just fine.

Robergnm-I didn't have to crush any of my meds as long as they were no larger than an M&M, if so I just broke them in half. The surgeon said the opening was the size of a dime so I was grateful that I never had to go through tasting any of my meds. Some of them taste nasty just touching my tongue whole so I can't imagine having to go through what you are doing.

It's common to weigh more when you return home because you were on IV fluids. Your nurse probably over hydrated you per doctor's orders to make sure you had some fluids to fall back on for your first couple of days back home. Dehydration is responsible for over 80% of weight loss patients returning to the hospital through the ER within the first few days after surgery. I weighed 24 pounds more my first day home *LOL* I can laugh now but my legs were so swollen the day I was released that I couldn't bend my knees. I couldn't even fit into my shoes or slippers and had to wear my hospital socks home then walk through slush and snow to get into the house. It was extremely difficult for me to get into my car for my trip home. I had to depend on my niece and a security guard at the hospital to help me. I sort of had to "fall" backward into my seat as both of my legs flipped up like boards. My niece made sure my butt landed on the seat while the security guard made sure I didn't hit the back of my head on the door opening. I don't know how we managed to get me in there but it all worked out.

Give it some time. When you see the numbers on the scale start dropping you will know it was all worth while :) :) :) Just make sure to come back to the forum to let everyone know how you are doing. I know you will do great!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back