• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

5 days post op sleeve, going crazy!

reylr67

Omg, i feel like i am a recovering crack addict, and my whole family is doin crack,, and i just have to sit and watch. I can drink eight ounces of water in about 45 minutes, no.problems. I can eat those 4 ounce jello or pudding in about twenty our thirty minutes, to comfortable. I want some real food soooooo bad. I get full with the Jello and cream soups and pudding but i am not satisfied at all, so i keep thinking about the delicious good my family is eating. So last night i figured since i can eat cream soups, well cream of potato should be ok. I made it myself,, delicious but,i think it was too heavy, it was pureed but not watery, so i ate about 4 tablespoons and i got an upset stomach. I didn't vomit but i just felt sick, so i was satisfied but the upset stomach ache wasn't worth it. I won't be able to start pureed stuff until around 3 weeks post OP,, any ideas of more satisfying liquids. I am on full liquids for two weeks post op,then i get to start pureed foods for a week or two then real food,very slowly.

welcome reylr67,

My problem was my eyes were bigger than my stomach. I thought I could eat like I could before surgery. I would try but ended throwing up almost every thing. The problem really wasn't my eyes nor my stomach it was how I thought about food. The real problem was between the ears. In a sense my stomach ended up teaching my brain how to think about food. Portion size and calorie count helped me to make friend between my stomach and my brain. Make sure you are not exceeding your 800 calories a day, find foods in which the portions are big enough but just so. Most important of all, find enjoyment and fulfillment in things other than your meals. Family, music, art, writing, church, friends, exercise and etc., to take your mind off food. Soon you will find that happy place where you want to be and your mind and your body will be at peace with one another.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

What are your choice of protein? Just wondering you seem so in control. Good for you! Lori

Hey Lori,

Thank you! I like anything I can stomach as long as it isn't chicken. The protein bars and shakes as long as the shake is not chocolate, are easy for me to digest. For real food extra lean ground beef is good in a tomato sauce or chili, I like lean pork loin chops fried in a little olive oil and garlic and any fish that is steamed or poached, my wife makes a fresh mango salsa that is really good with fish (or anything really). I also like cheese especially strong flavored cheeses but they tend to be fatty so go easy. I also will make a quiche during the weekend and have that for lunch during the week. I always try to have my diet in at close to a 1000 calories a day ( for a male of course). Savor the flavor.

Cheers

Thanks. That helps. I was reading that after surgery my pouch should hold an ounce or two tablespoons. But just now for dinner i ate a half cup cream of broccoli soup, blended, and i am contently full. Is my pouch holding to much? Is it ok that i an able to take in four ounzes? I thought maybe i am over eating because my menues say two tablespoons and i can eat for ounzes of Jello or pudding, or soup and i don't have pain or feel like i stuffed myself.

My problem was that I didn't know exactly if I was hungry or what. My stomach "growled" a lot in the beginning. I could "feel" it rumbling. My dietician told me not to associate that with hunger. She said it was actually my intestines trying to process whatever I was sending down and it was learning just as I was. I learned to just ignore it and drink more water and it would go away. I don't notice it as much now.

REYLR-The reason you are able to eat more blended soup is because it empties VERY quickly from your pouch because if its high liquid content. Because you are eating very slowly, these types of food are leaving your pouch before you finish eating them so you are able to eat more before feeling too full. Foods that have a more solid content, like pureed food, stay in your pouch longer and are much slower to leave so you can't squeeze too much more of them in there. On the plus side these types of food also make you feel fuller longer :)

If you eat / drink foods with a higher protein content you will feel fuller longer and therefore not have strong cravings to eat the things you shouldn't have. You need to stick to the foods outlined in your meal paln otherwise you WILL get nauseated and throw up. There is a reason the meal plan was developed and it's best not to fight it. It's normal to crave things you shouldn't be having but that will get better in a short while. And when you see those numbers on the scale dropping off you won't want those "bad" foods so much :) :) :)

I follow Pat99's suggestions too. I put just good protein in first and finish up with veggies/fruit if I still feel the need, which doesn't happen too often. I just had this discussion with my awesome dietician, Chris, and since I'm just barely 7 weeks out from my sleeve, she isn't concerned about the "intake" as much as the control - 3 meals a day - which is teaching me to eat correctly and not have a need to snack for the life long change. She said my "stored fat" is still providing me with all the energy I need and I 100% agree with her. I feel great and don't experience any hunger at all. Haven't heard the tummy growl since date of surgery. I would suggest you diary your foods, make an appointment with your dietician, and go from there. Sleeve 3/05/2013 and 54# lighter! Tina

I think when on thick liquids such as protein shakes you will feel full. It would take me at least 30 minutes to get 4 oz down. In the beginning not being able to chew something is hard. It really isn't that I was hungry or cared what everyone else was eating chewing is just part of eating. The next step will come and believe me you wouldn't think it would take so long to chew a scrambled egg. All part of the process. Just hang in there this phrase will pass. I hardly remember it and it hasn't been a year yet. Wishing you all the best.

Back