• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

6 Month Structured Diet

Hello all... well I have officially kicked off my six months of a structured diet program. I am concerned though. I have heard that I need to take this dieting process seriously because if I don't I will regret it. Then I have also heard, don't lose too much or your insurance will deny you the surgery. I'm conflicted. Yes I can lose some weight, however it never seems to stay off. It comes back as quick as I lose it. I feel that the six months is good for me because it allows me to start watching what I eat and learning to eat better, that way it's not such a shock to my body post surgery. I have went through a lot of the post surgery stuff as my mother had the surgery herself. I know that you have to be mentally prepared for this surgery and I know it's not a quick fix. The surgery is just a tool and it is ultimately up to me to use it wisely. So I feel the six months is great. Now to my question... how much weight is too much to lose in 6 months. I mean I've lost 3lbs in 4 days but I know that is because of the shock to my body with the decrease in calories. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the worry with, "Am I going to lose too much to be disqualified for the surgery?" I mean right now my BMI is 42 and if I lost 20lbs in 6 months my BMI would be 39.1, however, I do have the co-morbidities that would still qualify. Just nervous and need some support on this.

Holly-You need to contact your surgeon's office and get the answers straight from them. They do this for a living and deal with this day after day and can advise you better than anyone else.

Hi Hollie, That is a very tough situation and a valid question, a friend of mine lost to much weight during the pre op diet phase and was almost denied because she went down to a 39 bmi but was able to qualify after some more testing for co mobidity factors, so I agree with Pat talk with your doctors at the Bariatric center and make sure you will still quaify, let us know what you find out. :cool: Tom

Back