• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

6 years since gastric bypass

8833maryellen

I am starting to eat more and hungry all the time Anyone have any suggestions what to do to get back on track. I still dump with sweets but find myself eating fast again and unable to redirect my mind to eat slow

I am right there with you. Although I don't get dumpin syndrome, which is a curse. I think if I had the dumping with sweets it would curb my sweet tooth. I eating faster, drinking with my meals, trying to eat smaller portions and eating on smaller plates with baby forks. I am trying, not whole hardily.

If you BING 5 day pouch test you will get tons of sites. I found one last year that gave receipes and a tracker. Just can't find it right now. Good luck.

Hi Pat, check your 5 day pouch test link if it is bookmarked, this one is broken:eek: Tom

Last edited:
Hi MissK, it looks like you have nailed down why you are finding it hard to stay on track you said it better than anyone else could. So start trying whole heartedly, and go back to not drinking 30 minutes before your meal and 45 minutes after your meal thatwill healp out a great deal. It was explained to me thi way, if we don't drink anything 30 min before and 45 min after the food will stay in our pouch and we will achieve the satisfaction of being full, however if we choose to drink with ouyr meals then the food will pass through our pouch and we will feel hungry in short order making us want to eat again, I do agree with you on the not dumping, I no longer dump with sweets any more unless it is really starchy so I really have to watch it when I have a cookie or something like that. so keep trying the smaller portions and also try substituting a meal with a protien shake each day and see if that help, and don't forget to get at least 30 minutes of exercise 4 to 5 days a week. Let us know how you are doing, I know you can do it. :cool: Tom

They should rename the 5-day pouch test to something else. Everyone should read it whether they have a pouch or a sleeve or a band. It has a lot of good information in it.
My concern right now is that I'm allergic to a lot of the proteins. Eggs, fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts. I hope my dietician can come up with alternatives that aren't slider foods. I was planning on relying on cottage cheese and yogurt.

Hi, Karenina,

You still have: whey protein drinks and puddings, milk, soy milk, tofu, tempeh, seitan. You should do just fine.

Karenina-It sounds like you're facing a big challenge. If you can eat beans you can make a lot of things out of them. Wendy's chili is also a good source of protein and tastes real good. I buy a couple and stick them in the freezer. Also, MorningStar Farms makes a line of wonderful vegetarian foods offering moderate to high protein. You will find them in the frozen food section. My favorite is the tomato basil pizza burger :) :) :) The riblets with BBQ sauce are also very tasty but high in carbs so I scrape off most of the sauce. I need to stock up again so I don't keep giving in to temptation.

Back