• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

A week from today!!

Kinny09

My surgery is a week from today (6/11) and I'm the first case of the morning @ 7:30am. I am SO excited but so very nervous! I'm still a bit confused about what it will be like drinking for the first few days, the nutritionist confused me a little...I know they said take a few sips every 15mins or so, but how can I stay hydrated like that (other than I'm sure they will have the IV in still)? Also I plan to stick to just the protein shakes for the first month rather than go the puree route (I will test the waters just to acclimate myself to them though), which my team said was fine. I have a stash of Slimfast high protein shakes (low carbs, only 2g sugar) and a big container of Designer Whey powder. I don't know how much to stock up on though, ykwim? Like I don't know how much I will truly consume daily and I would like to get an estimate because I order it from online (much more expensive in store). Anyone have an idea what I should do?
Also for Vitamins I have bought: Citracal Chewable (the 600 + D), Centrum Silver Multivitamin, Sub-lingual vitamin B-12, Fish Oil. I know I should get an iron one also, and is there really anything else I need? I got what was on the list but I've heard of others as well...

I will be having surgery on June 10th we are both almost there! I ordered all my MVI's and supplements from Celebrate online. I wanted to have a three month supply of bariatric friendly chewable vitamins so it wouldn't be something I would need to think about. I got a plan MVI, Iron, and Calcium Citrate and it was about $85 with the coupon I had. I might try other brands later but my dietitian warned me that bariatric vitamins can be costly. I wish I knew how much I will eat the first month post-op because I don't want to be running to a grocery store... I am afraid the smell of all the food would be off-putting. I just want to be prepared and have everything in place. ;-)

Hi, in order to get in your fluids, you need to sip sip sip all day long, except the 30 before and after meals. Of course at first there are no meals, so no problem. Don't worry if you don't get all the protein and liquids in at first, few of us do, just get as much as you can. As time goes by, you will heal and it will be easier to get it all in. Also, just so you know, expect to gain about 10 pounds or so while in the hospital, from the IV's. It's normal and goes away quickly. Stick to the plan given to you and you will do great.

Frank

:cool:

Hi Kinny,

Congratulations on your surgery date. Excitement and nerves go together and you are experiencing what we all have been through.

Make sure your calcium is Calcium Citrate and chewable. Don't stock up too much on some of the shakes because most of the time your tastes may change after surgery. I use the Centrum chewables (orange flavor) and make sure they have iron.

As far as drinking I figured that I would be awake at least twelve hours a day and if I divided 12 into sixty ounces that I needed to drink at least five to six ounces an hour and found that quite manageable. It sounds so hard when you look at the total amount but when you divide it up it really is not that difficult. Remember your shakes, jello, popsicles, and broth all count toward your total fluid intake. I brought some medicine cups home from the hospital and was able to drink more than six ounces in an hour.

Bariatric vitamins are a bit expensive but there are good ones out there and you can often find sales.

Hi Kenny
I have my surgery Friday and here are the things I was told to have in the house by my team.

caffeine free tea
instant mashed potatoes
unflavored protein shake
sugar free peppermints (for nausea )
skim milk
low-sodium broth
sugar free drinks (freeze some to Popsicle)
They said you would probably drink between 2 and 3 shakes a day. If you want an estimate just divide the number of shakes per container by 3 and multiply by the number of days you want stocked. I hope this helps. I know where you are coming from on this one.

Best wishes
Sharon

Question for those who have been there done that

Will I need to stock up on bandages and tape? I keep thinking where these is stitches a person will need gauze and tape. If so what size or does it matter?
thanks all

Thank you so much for sharing everyone! I have a case of Unjury packets, my vitamins that I ordered came in (Centrum Silver chewables, Caltrate chewables for calcium), I also have some cream of wheat and oatmeal (not instant) for when I come home from the hospital. I'm already a big water drinker, so getting flavored drinks, outside of my shakes, isn't my thing (I guess I have that on my side already!).

Back