• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Abdominal pain, I need a little help or info

NanaMango

Okay I am exactly 16 days out. And as of yesterday I've started having major abdominal pain. I'm having a hard time finding information . I don't know if I should be worried. On a pain scale I would say I'm at a 5/6. Considering in the hospital after surgery I was at 4/5. I am concerned. It hurts more when I bend. I went in yesterday for a nurse check they didn't seem to interested in the fact that I hurt. My next appointment with my actual doctor isn't till the 17th. Does anyone know where I can look for more info on abdominal pain. The pain is located deep under and around the incision that had the biggest things pass through. Any help or information would be appreciated.

Hi Nana Mango, Welcome. Is there any heat and or redness in the painful area, are you experiancing any fevers, is ther any bad smelling or off color fluids coming from the incision site, those are all questions that should have been asked, if they weren't or there is a yes to any of those questions you should talk to your doctor or get doctor at you bariatric center to listen to you, if there is a fver and red tenderness ther get to an emergency room ASAP. If it is a problem with the pouch internally the pain should coincide with your meals or fluid intake and that too should be dealt with ASAP also. I had abdominal pain for about a month or so that only hurt when I laghed, sneezed, coughed, rolled over, sat up from a chair, or bent wrong, that pain started at a 7 and slowly subsided over the weeks. Let us know what you find out. :cool: Tom

Thank you

Nope, none of the stuff that would indicate an infection. And the pain isn't just there when I eat. It gets much worse when I bend. In fact, When I woke up this morning I felt great until I bent down to get something out of the fridge. Thanks for sharing your pain, it makes me feel a little relieved. :D

Hello Nana Mango Welcome!! I just got out of Hospital September 9TH which was a Sunday,I had a Sleeve surgery. I felt great that morning and Dr dismissed me. By noon or one O'clock I thought I'd pass out from the pain,I have the option of calling my Bariactric Nurse Practioner. She got me help right away,put me on liquid Loritab and told me to double the dose until I was on top of pain. Thank God she is available 24/7. I agree with Tom also about redness and or infection too. My Surgeon is very much on his toes,last Tuesday I had to go thru a bunch of blood work and a Cat Scan for an annoying wheeze only on exhalation. Keep very close eye and go to ER to find help if nothing else. Have a great day and once again welcome.

NanaMango-Tom offered good advice. Even though you indicated you are not experiencing any of the classic symptoms of an infection the fact is that there seems to be something going on here. Any persistent or increasing pain is an indicator that something is wrong and needs medical attention. It's a shame this wasn't addressed during your office visit. I think you need to get on the phone and insist on being seen immediately. If they can not accomadate you then you need to go to an urgent care or ER if you are still having the bad pain you described. Just make sure you aren't exceeding the lifting requirements you were given or overdoing any other physical activities. Please let us know how you are doing.

Welcome...sorry you are experiencing pain. Have you had a bowel movement? Agree with everyones comments....you need to get the medical attention. You need to have someone listen to you and see why you are having so much pain. They should of given you the liquid Loritab to have at home after the surgery. The problem with all pain is that you need to get on top of it, before it becomes too much to handle. Remember that our pain tolerances are also different in every individual. A "7" to you may mean a "3" to me and a "10" to someone else. Either way, it needs to be checked. Make sure you call the surgeon's office and demand to speak to the surgeon...obviously not the nurse again. Make sure you get the attention you need.

Back