• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Abdominal Pain.

fkrebs

Went to the emergency room Saturday night, with severe abdominal pain. Could not stand up straight. I thought it might be an internal hernia or a twisted section of intestines. I had a cat scan and blood work, everything is normal. The Dr thought it might be a "Peri-umbilical Hernia" but was not sure. It would explain why my belly-button was tender at times. Has anyone dealt with this? I'm seeing my surgeon tomorrow, but any additional info I can have going into the session would be helpful. This is the first real issue I've had since surgery, so I have no answers and could use some help.

Frank

:cool:

Went to the emergency room Saturday night, with severe abdominal pain. Could not stand up straight. I thought it might be an internal hernia or a twisted section of intestines. I had a cat scan and blood work, everything is normal. The Dr thought it might be a "Peri-umbilical Hernia" but was not sure. It would explain why my belly-button was tender at times. Has anyone dealt with this? I'm seeing my surgeon tomorrow, but any additional info I can have going into the session would be helpful. This is the first real issue I've had since surgery, so I have no answers and could use some help.

Frank

Hi Frank, Sorry that you are feeling so bad... I have an Umbilical Hernia. It appeared about 10 yrs ago. At first it hurt some of the time. It was because I layed on my side and stomach to sleep. Sometimes I'd wake up and my stomach would be so sore, and sometimes it would be super painful. So then I tried sleeping on my back, it was very hard to get used to but no more stomach pain. Before I had bariatric surgery the doctor said he might fix my hernia while he was in there but he didn't and I never did ask him why, but it really doesn't bother me as long as I sleep on my back. Hope you are feeling better. Keep us posted!

Cheyenne :)

Frank

Best for the surgeon to handle this and quickly. Don't let pain go unanswered for any length of time.

I hope you have talked to him by now.

They should check you out.

I had an umbilical hernia. However, back in 2009 when I had my prostatectomy my surgeon then repaired it. No problem since then.

Also this time when I had my bariatric surgery my surgeon repaired a huge hiatal hernia that I had and never knew about.

Don't sit around. Get someone to examine you and assess your situation.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Update, my doc confirmed the hernia, I'm having laproscopic surgery tomorrow to repair it and make sure there are no others. Will be home tomorrow night.

Frank

abd pain

Hope you are better...... your MD was quick in dealing with this. My surgeon repaired mine unexpectedly when he did my RNY 3 weeks ago. The pain was worse than the actual RNY was ! I didn't expect that. Had to lay on my back for over 2 weeks, but can not lay on my side. Take your meds!!!!

I had a hiatal hernia they discovered while doing my sleeve procedure and he fixed it right there. It is what is causing me the most discomfort. I have been trouble finding info on post op for the hernia. Certainly wasn't what you expect, even though he said it is common to discover them during surgery.

Hi everyone, thanks for the well wishes. The surgery went well. Turns out the umbilical hernia probably contributed to, but was not the cause of my pain on Saturday. It was scarring tissue that the Doc removed, he also repaired the hernia. He said that the hernia was very small, so there may have been some pressure and was the most likely cause of the tenderness that I experienced on occasion. The surgery was at 4pm EST today and I was on my way home at 6:30. I need to thank my biggest fan and supporter, my wife, Amalyn. She was fantastic and without her I would not be where I am today.

Again, I really appreciated and needed all your feedback. This is why I love this group. Thank you.

Frank

Hi everyone, thanks for the well wishes. The surgery went well. Turns out the umbilical hernia probably contributed to, but was not the cause of my pain on Saturday. It was scarring tissue that the Doc removed, he also repaired the hernia. He said that the hernia was very small, so there may have been some pressure and was the most likely cause of the tenderness that I experienced on occasion. The surgery was at 4pm EST today and I was on my way home at 6:30. I need to thank my biggest fan and supporter, my wife, Amalyn. She was fantastic and without her I would not be where I am today.

Again, I really appreciated and needed all your feedback. This is why I love this group. Thank you.

Frank

Please Thank Amalyn for being the awesome and wonderfully supportive best friend, partner and wife...
I am so glad you did well and that it was a very quick procedure....

Merry Christmas....

Back