• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Alittle nervous about food...

Time 4 me

Happy New Year to all!!! Wanted to get opinions on being nervous about food, I am 7 weeks out and I believe that my total weight loss is 40 lbs since pre surgery. I really have not had to much trouble eating anything except for chicken, which causes horrible pain. Granted everything I eat is in extremely small portions. I am worried because of "not" having too much trouble and therefore I am getting braver with my food choices. I am getting my protein through yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese and nuts...yes nuts I absolutely love them and have NO problem eating them. I also found that during the holiday I can eat "sugar' cookies which I made for the family, rolled especially thin and baked crisp as well as one slice of pizza hut thin and crispy cheese pizza...I know that this was an absolute NO NO but I ate them anyway!!!

I am so worried that food will become the enemy again and I want to eat to live and not live to eat!!! Is anyone else having nervousness about food?? I am feeling really good being 40 lbs lighter and enjoy exercise now because I don't feel like I'm going to die walking a mile, however I don't want to go back there--losing is what I want but I am scared...

Pizza used to be one of my favorite foods and I could down a whole large by myself. But now I'd probably be lucky to finish 1/3 of a slice. But I've chosen to stay away from those foods that are super high in calories and fat. I've heard of people after surgery loosing a ton of weight and then gaining 40lbs back and I think to myself how the heck does that happen? Then it hit me that they carried over the bad eating habits they had before of gorging themselves to tring to gorge a stoamach thats the size of a golfball. My surgeon said yes it is possible to stretch your stomach back out by over eating. But it will never be to the size it once was. That would be impossible because there just isn't enough material there for that to happen. He's done over 500 of these surgeries without any complications so when he speaks I listen. Plus I have his cell#. I can call him anytime.

i have found that if i try something and it make's me sick i don't eat it again,i also know better then to eat real sugar that will make me sick right now. but i have had a small pice of pizza and haven't had it since,just depend's on what i eat.

Like Rhipsher, I am working hard and not introducing the bad food back in my diet. I did have pizza at my Grandson's 5th birthday, since that is all there was. I only ate the toppings and a couple of bites of the crust. I refuse to eat any sweets, cakes, cookies etc, even the sugar free ones my daughter makes, because I don't want to get in the habit. I found over the Holidays, I remembered Christmases past where I ate what I wanted, and missed the sweets for all of about 5 seconds. I haven't had sweets since 3 weeks before surgery and will not go down that road again. But what I choose as the best option for me, knowing that once I start, I won't stop, may not be right for others. I would only caution you that once you start with sweets of any kind, you could be on a very slippery slope.

:cool:

fkrebs- I totally agree with you and I have got back on track with NO sugar, I had to tell myself that just because something went down easily and didn't make me sick DID NOT mean I could have it!!! I really am doing well and don't want to blow what I have accomplished, mainly good health. Speaking of which it looks like you are doing wonderful 83 lbs is nothing to sneeze at...LOL. Keep up the good work and thanks for the pep talk!!:D

I am terrified of sugar. After having a "dumping" episode that was worse than the flu, I am very careful of what I eat. Fresh fruit has become my friend. Can't eat raw veggies yet but I eat lots of steamed ones. I stay as far away from processed foods as possible.

cmount 72 I have not experienced "dumping" and I too was so cautious of what I ate because I heard and read how absolutely horrible it is. Then I tried a sugar cookie and it went down and stayed down. I have myself on track again and doing very well. I guess when you fall you get back up dust yourself off and move onward.

By the way I am 7 weeks out and I cannot tolerate any raw vegetables, I love salads with everything and the only thing I can eat is grape tomatoes. Take care and "keep on losing"!!!

WHAT you haven't dumped yet? LOL LOL You lucky girl. Just mess'n with you. How are you doing? I'm ok, still trying to get that protein in. I'm down 41lbs..but the loss is becoming a lot closer now. Take care my friend. Hugs... Carla

Hi there Bamababy- I am doing good, down 40 lbs and only one insulin shot a day instead of 3, off all other meds. So things are definitely going in the right direction. No I have not dumped, what did you get sick from eating?? Are you still taking protein drinks or do you mean protein foods?? Alot of times I am not hungry at all and have to remind myself to eat and dinner normally gives me nausea most times it consists of yogurt and a string cheese.

I am glad you are doing well, did you enjoy the holidays and your company?? Take care and be proud of being a LOSER...HAHAHA:D Terri

dear time4me,
i am post op 7 weeks. i am having wonderful success. however when i went to my surgeon after week 5 i was told everything is ok. i said i had 3 pieces of oscar meyer pre cooked bacon and he had no problem with that. i started gettng off track eating what i wanted and my weight loss slowed down to a crawl. when i emailed my nutritionist and asked her for help,i told her what i had been eating.
her reply was WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING. ALREADY HAD 4 BYPASS SURGERY. BACON MUST NEVER BE IN YOUR FOOD PLAN AGAIN. FOCUS ON THE REASONS YOU HAD THE SURGERY IN THE FIRST PLACE.
this got me refocused and am now going down again. she was great and wasnt sure how i would take the shouting. i told her it was just what i needed. so be careful time4me. it is easy to get cocky and get off track.
wish everyone who reads this a happy new year and great wl success

polo4058- So true, it is easy to get off track especially when you are not feeling sick. I have it together now, staying sugar free!! I did have to refocus and remember that I want to eat to live!!! Thanks so much for sharing, take care and keep up the good work!! Time 4 me:cool:

You are lucky that you have not dumped. I would not wish that on anyone. I am on my 5th week out from surgery, my doc doesn't want me to start raw veggies until February and I too am itching for a good salad. Sounds like you are doing fantastic, you may be insulin free before you know it.

I'm another one who's lucky to not have experienced any dumping. I'm 3 months post op, and am doing so-so. My weight loss hasn't been even close to what other people seem to experience - only 25 lbs in 3 months. It's discouraging. I can't tolerate meats, except for things like ground beef. No more than 3 or 4 bites of chicken, salmon, ham, etc. Sometimes I can do tuna. Haven't tried pork or steak yet. I don't eat fruits or veggies since I'm trying so hard to get in the protein. I also have problems with most of the protein shakes. My protein consumption was wayyyyy below what it should be. Recently, I've done a re-vamping of my attitude, and made myself realize that this is something I need to do for the REST OF MY LIFE, and that I needed to stop whining, and saying I can't do it. Maybe I'm being harsh, but that's the only way I was able to talk myself into drinking those awful shakes and getting the protein I need. They still make me nauseated, but I found a brand at WalMart that I can get in 30 grams per 4 oz shake. That's right, so I can get in my whole daily protein ration in 8 oz of shake. I drink 1/3 of it, 3 times a day, because the human body can only process about 20 grams at a time (unless you're a massive body builder or something). Since I still have problems with meat, I've backed off to an earlier stage, and am eating 2 thick slices of provolone cheese for breakfast and 1/2 cup of fat free cottage cheese for dinner, and the shakes. Not much else. I find I'm really not hungry anyway, and if I have a craving for something, I try it and after a few bites, I usually find that it doesn't taste the same, and doesn't satisfy the craving, so I stop eating it.

Good luck to us all!

You guys seem to be doing well, I have lost about 12 pouns since surgery and since doing a week pre op protein drinks etc I have lost 17 pounds. Somedays this week, I gained a pound but do not know how, at most have had 300 calories and no much protein and water. CANNOT GET IT IN without feeling horrible. It seems to be abating this weekend so that is good. I have some serious weight loss to go, 65 more pounds!

Sandie- Hi there....remember you are 4 weeks out and I'm almost 8 weeks. It was the weekend before Christmas that I started to tolerate a variety of things and then bolt the door, thats when my sugar cookie rampage occurred. But I have pulled it together, I still enjoy nuts and believe that is where I am sustaining some of my protein. Still doing the shakes as well but have gotten more creative adding carrot and bannana with cinnamon, as well as blueberries and strawberries, really yummy. I still have 50 lbs to go but we will get there, enjoy being a LOSER.....hahaha:rolleyes: and be blessed.

Suzie-I am with you that meat is not an option for me, unless it is canned tuna, chicken and lean ground beef. I cannot swallow chicken and have not even tried steak. I agree that cheese sticks, cottage cheese and yogurt are my favorites. Couple tricks for me.....my family is big pasta eaters and my mother makes the best homemade meat sauce, so I warm green beans top them with sauce and parmensan cheese. The green beans are my spaghetti and it is wonderful. As far as your protein shake is concerned try adding frozen blueberries and/or frozen strawberries in a blender its great and I find it goes down much easier. The carrot cake smoothie is really good if you like bannanas and cinnamon:

Ingredients (makes two, so cut it in half if you only want one... or you can opt to chill the second glass for the next day!):
1 large banana, frozen (it will save you a headache if you peel it, then put it in a bag and freeze it... but if you forget, you can always peel it afterward with a knife and your very very frozen fingers)
1 cup milk (skim milk or unsweetened vanilla almond milk are both great, but any milk substitute will also work -- just be aware that slight flavor changes will come with any major substitutions!) **Caloric information compiled using unsweetened vanilla almond milk
2 servings protein powder (Just use the prescribed amount per persoof powder for one "serving" of your particular brand)
2 tsp pure Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 small carrot (or two baby carrots), peeled
Tiny dash of salt

Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender
2. Add a few cubes of ice only if your blender is good enough to chop them all up!*
3. Blend well and serve!

I'll put some quick and easy recipes on the recipe forum, give them a try. Take care and be blessed!!

Time 4 Me
I am new to the group but I have had the "dumping"......I have been very careful on what I eat but I have been trying a lot of new things. Like last night I had about 1/4c of sugar free icecream.....30 minutes later I was in the bathroom.....so now I know I can't have the regular sugarfree icecream. I've also had the pizza with out problems but when I use to eat a whole large regular curst pizza in an afternoon now I can have about 1/2 of 1 slice of pizza and it makes me so full.

when did everyone start eating salads...I miss them so much. and have you tried cereal?

Good luck all.

Good Morning Yvette-I noticed that our surgeries are one week apart, mine was on Nov 13th!! I have been very blessed not to have had a "dumping" episode and pray that I won't. I have notice that my appetite is picking up which bothers me, I liked it better when I wasn't hungry at all. I absolutely love salads and the Dr. said I can basically give anything a try, however I could not get the lettuce down. So I've been roasting my veggies-broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, carrots and baby red potatoes. Alittle olive oil, sea salt, pepper and garlic 425 in the oven for 25 min.....they taste soooo good and so much better for you then boiling all the nutrients out. Give them a try, take care, be blessed and enjoy being a Loser!!! LOL:D

Thank you Time 4 Me. I have tried some salad with a turkey meat taco...but I found instead of eating 4 tacos I can only eat 1 now which is fine and I have to remember that I can't be drinking any liquids during my meal or I don't eat. Right now since I had complications I am staying with my parents and they just sometimes don't understand. :( I will try the roasted veggies when I get back to my own home.
Thank you It's great to be a LOSER!!!!! ;-)

Back