• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Am I eating too much?

Jen72

Am I eating too much? Just had my Gastric bypass and gallbladder out 4/8/13. I was hungry last night and ate 3 chicken nuggets and 2 tablespoons of refried beans, and 4 pills. Shouldn't I feel full? Stuffed even. I dont feel anything when I eat at all. I posted about this before and most of you feel that my surgery went well and I should be glad that Im doing good. But I cant help to feel like maybe my sugery didn't go well if I can eat so much now.
What do you think? PS Im still down 19 lbs since surgery day. ],:confused:

I am so curious what others say. it is a HUGE concern of mine when I start eating solids in the coming weeks. Right now, I can feel the pouch full when I sip liquids. Will it feel this way when I eat?

@Jen72 - did you feel full with liquids? or have you never had that "oh wow my pouch is full feeling."

This is a great topic, thanks for bringing it up. I take for granted (since you did not say) you are not drinking before or after meals, and eating the food over the course of 20 minutes or so.

Am I eating too much? Just had my Gastric bypass and gallbladder out 4/8/13. I was hungry last night and ate 3 chicken nuggets and 2 tablespoons of refried beans, and 4 pills. Shouldn't I feel full? Stuffed even. I dont feel anything when I eat at all. I posted about this before and most of you feel that my surgery went well and I should be glad that Im doing good. But I cant help to feel like maybe my sugery didn't go well if I can eat so much now.
What do you think? PS Im still down 19 lbs since surgery day. ],:confused:

That depends, you say you don't feel anything do you feel hungry at all before or after? The best way to answer your question what is your total caloric intake per day <800 calories or >800 calories? What does your program say about calories or the type of foods you are eating. Are you in compliance with your program if yes then no worries if no then you have work to do. How you feel isn't the point, counting calories and following your program is.

cheers

I was told(from another forum) that when the dr cut my stomach he also cut the nerves that make us feel full. The nerves will grow back eventually, until then it is very important to measure all our food. If not we could have dumping or vomiting(very unpleasant). I think you are doing well with your eating. Everyone does this trip differently.

That depends, you say you don't feel anything do you feel hungry at all before or after? The best way to answer your question what is your total caloric intake per day <800 calories or >800 calories? What does your program say about calories or the type of foods you are eating. Are you in compliance with your program if yes then no worries if no then you have work to do. How you feel isn't the point, counting calories and following your program is.

cheers

Thank you so much, you know this is great advice. I thought about it and 3 nugets and some beans is a lot less than I used to eat. But you are right I am not following the program since Im only to have ground chicken and not nuggets. I have not counted calories yet but I am inspired by your reply to do so now. The work is just beginning.

thanks jackie for replying. I did feel full when I started on liquids. I do follow the rules of no solids with drinking. But I do not feel fullness or anything in my pouch when I eat ground foods, and slowing down to eat is a work in progress. I have a doctors appointment next week and I will bring it up then too.

You had RNY on the 8th of this month and you're eating solids already. I didn't get to solids until about 6 weeks post surgery. The big question is are you losing weight and do you feel hungry? I would talk to my Surgeon or his team and see if this is normal. A support group would be helpful as well. Let us know how it's going.

Frank

:cool:

thank you. I was woundering about the nerves too and this will be somthing I will talk to my doctor about at next weeks checkup.

Dennis, when I read your response, it stuck with me only because I am still in the pre surgery stages and I am being told that I will not have solid foods at all for 6 weeks. I also will be having gastric bypass. These are the things that make me nervous. Will I not be educated properly on what I am to be consuming once my surgery has been completed? xo

Dennis, when I read your response, it stuck with me only because I am still in the pre surgery stages and I am being told that I will not have solid foods at all for 6 weeks. I also will be having gastric bypass. These are the things that make me nervous. Will I not be educated properly on what I am to be consuming once my surgery has been completed? xo

My program had four or five 2 to 3 hr seminars in a six month period before surgery in which they gave us every thing we needed to be aware of i.e. surgery risks, and surgery information, Dietitians, coping techniques you name it and a manual two inches thick. I thought this was going on with everyone. I would have been fit to be tied if I hadn't been fully briefed. I can send you a copy of my manual electronically if you want it. I will have to scan it first.

Back