• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Anxiety and Panic attacks

I am having panic attacks and anxiety. I am obsessing about not being able to eat the amount of food they are telling I should be eating and getting the 60-80 oz of drinking I am supposed to do. I am 6 weeks post, I had a weigh in a month ago ( going in a few days) and at that time the nutritionlist said I needed to eat more and move to like ground meats, which make me sick as did the shrimp and scallops. I live on. Tuna fish, egg whites, cheese and cereal, peanut butter. I try some toast and that does not work well either. I have spoken to the nutriionlist and she says even my meals should be bigger. Does/did anyone have this problem? I needed to go on Xanax to get thru some of the most difficult panic attacks, it terrible.
Thanks, I have posted a few times here and you all have been great.

Cinderella

i personally haven't had my w.l surgery yet but i have read other's stories and your's is very normal from what i have read, everybody's body has it's own way of healing and i would think to try to force more food or intake it would be painful. I keep hearing that the protein is the most important factor.
I've dealt with anxiety attacks since my youth and i know how painful and scary they can be. If you feel your nutrionist doesn't truly understand your situation ask to speak to dr or another nurse. Others on here too may give you sound advice for they've already had there surgery
will pray you find peace and continue on with your new healthier life, you are strong and you are gonna make it, one day one bite and one pound at a time.
Be proud of what you have already done .
Donna

Cinderella, I have anxiety attacks too and sometimes my depression has me crying all day long. Can you handle the protein drinks? What has been easier for you?? Are you sick of eating the same old stuff?? That is how I was feeling when I was following the South Beach diet a few years ago.

Hi Cinderella, I remeber the first months post op, I was so full of all kinds of emotions, depression, remorse, what did I do feelings but I just kept telling myself I had tried everything else and this was what I needed to do for me to be healthy, the emotions are normal so do what you need to do to get through them. Eating was also difficult I did get bored with the same ole same ole and I had to keep drinking protien shakes because I just couldn't get enough food in me for protien. Hang in there. :cool: Tom

DO NOT USE XANAX...I can tellyou it has the potential for some terrible side effect. I have an anxiety disorder and talk with your Dr. There are much better tranquilizers out there and you may truly need something. For a person that has never experienced that crawl out of my skin effect of aniety and panic attacks they will not understand. send me privatee message patti

I know what you mean. I get panic attacks, not as often now, but I have tried Xanax and I don't like it. What works for me is Diazapan, calms me down. I lost my last bottle of it and had a really bad panic attack on my birthday this year. But it was a combination of things like not having my mom here, I had just quit smoking and nobody would give me a cigarette and the fact that I had a houseful of loud children and couldn't handle the stress.

Cinderella-I was about 5 weeks out from surgery when I started having a craving to eat. Before that I dreaded eating anything except fluids or thin hot cereal like cream of wheat. I still can't eat meat unless it's ground up and cooked until it's extra tender. What I can eat comfortably is "fake" meat like Morning Star Farms brand burgers and other entrees from the frozen food section. It's nice and soft and is comfortable in my pouch. It tastes good too :) I haven't been a meat eater for a couple of years so I use this for protein a couple of times a week.

Don't stress out or force yourself to eat but make sure you try to get your protein in with shakes and drink your fluids. The protein drinks count towards your fluids so if you drink the protein you will kill 2 birds with one stone!!! You will eventually come around to wanting to eat more. We are each different when it comes to this.

I was stressing over not being able to eat everything on the daily list, excercise which I have been diligent. I was not even get half the protiens or fluids in either. I had a nutriionlist appointment today. We modified my diet and added shakes back in. I am now 6 weeks post and lost 32 lbs and more importantly my BMI went from 53.6 Pre to 48 now! I have to just chill and stop getting caught up in "the schedule"

cinderalla. your nutritionist is right and you should let her manage for now. we come out of this surgery wanting all of that weight to be gone.unfortunately it doesn't work that way. all of us will be here to support your journey.Just keep on keeping on! I regained 50 lbs after five or si years and now within 39 lbs of reaching my goal weight again. Keep in mind that at the 5 yeear mark iti has shown tht our bodies seem to become immmune to some carbohydrates and we get into trouble slowly putting the lbs back on so learn now that this is lifelong. Ihad my bypass in 2003 and still havad to get back on track, good luck.patti

Hi all. I am just starting the treatment and just starting to change my menu options. I have anxiety and my doctor put me on klonopin 2mg. It works good. I tried some of the other medications for anxiety and they made me feel funny. Klonopin doesn't do that. I am scared a little bit about all the things that has to be done prior to surgery. This anxiety and panic can bring on a life of its own if I let it. But I am trying my best to keep it in check. I have major depression too and I am battling this.

Hi amenius321, When is your surgery scheduled for? I know that things can be hard, as I am close to a surgery date and I am worried about not being able to handle the liquid diet pre-op. Everyone assures me that when it is time, I will be fine. I've already completed everything that was required of me.

Hi Nana, I don't have a surgery date yet. I have started the physical testing and my psych test is coming up. It just seems like there is a lot to take in all at once. But I am hanging in there. I talked to my psychiatrist about the surgery and what is involved prior to the surgery and she is supportive and is watching my moods and anxiety closely. I see a therapist weekly and she is supporting me too. I go for orientation this week on the 25th to meet the surgical team and I will be able to talk to the surgeon them and hopefully he will answer some of the questions that I have. I will keep you posted on how thing progress.

Hi. I go see my surgeon this Thursday. I have met his surgery partner already, as she was the first doctor who actually saw me. I only have mild depression and my pcp has me on a mild anti-depressant. I also take diazapam for my anxiety, which I don't need very often. I am making a list of questions to ask that way I don't forget anything. Good luck

Biplordisorder and major depression

Hi I have bipolar disorder and chronic depression. i was wondering how my medications will work while I am cutting down my food intake or on the liquid diet. My medications work with my food to help them to work properly. I have no surgeon appointment yet but a I have started cutting back on food intake. I find that I am a little depressed and some mood swings. I am afraid of what will happen when I really am into the program.

Hi I have bipolar disorder and chronic depression. i was wondering how my medications will work while I am cutting down my food intake or on the liquid diet. My medications work with my food to help them to work properly. I have no surgeon appointment yet but a I have started cutting back on food intake. I find that I am a little depressed and some mood swings. I am afraid of what will happen when I really am into the program.

PLEASE contact the prescribing physician immediately and discuss this with him or her. You don't want to mess around with this. My sister takes meds for the same reason and I can tell you from personal experience it doesn't take much to throw things off. The trouble is that other people notice the change in her long before she does and it ain't ever pretty!!!

Hi Amenius, please heed Pat's advice, your mental health is just as important as your physical health, make sure your prescribing physician is in the loop with your persuit of WLS. I discovered I had mild depression when I wasn't getting any happier and I was losing weight and feeling physically healthier, I am doing better now after some counceling and behavior modification. Take care. :cool: Tom

I completeley understand. I have had the battles like you for years and I take1 mg of klonipin a day and it works well. I am under Dr. supervision of course. He explained it it this way. Klnipin has a 24 hr half life wich means that a single dose is effective for 24 hrs. Depression is also part of my isses so herein you have a friend you cantalk to any time and you cansend me a private message if you want to keep it cofidential. good luck in your journey.patti

I only get anxiety attacks but do have minor depression. I know about dealing with bipolar disorder as my mom had it and my youngest son was diagnosed, but now I am questioning that diagnosis, as I feel he may be a high functioning Asperger. That is what we suspect my grandson has, and he acts just like my son did at that age, it is really scary.

I am in touch with my psychiatrist and see a therapist every week. so I am, keeping them in the loop of what is going on. They are very supportive. It is so easy to get off of my meds so I have to be careful in what I do and monitor myself. I have a good support at home who is aware of how fast I can spiral down and she will let me know if I start to get depressed or start having racing thoughts and mood swings.

Back