• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Anybody out there?

newme55

Im new and would like to connect with people who have gone thru same surgery. Am on my preop liquid diet now. Surgery has not been scheduled as yet. Thanks to all of you who have answered me. I came to a big realization tonite....It became clear as a bell to me what the difference is between Head hunger and Stomach hunger!!! Most of you probably have this down already...but it was a big new deal to me. I feel like I have just concoured a big bridge of knowledge. I'm feeling very proud of myself. Hope you all have the same experience for yourselves. Kris

Last edited:
Hi Newme55, I am Tom. I had the RnY about 20 months ago. Welcome let us know how surgery goes. :cool:

Hi Newme55, I am Tom. I had the RnY about 20 months ago. Welcome let us know how surgery goes. :cool:
Hi Tom, I'm Kris. WOW...you have lost alot of weight! Way to go! I have heard that there are emotional changes that come with this surgery? Any problems for you?

I had some bumps in the road. Some angxt before surgery and a little remorse while I was sitting at home recovering right after the surgery but that didn't take long to go away, a few days maybe, then I started fealing better and was off my blood pressure medicine within a week and started losing weight and getting a lot more energy. It was pretty smooth sailing for a while, then about 10 months after surgery I though a glass of wine wouldn't hurt me now and then (my doctor said don't drink alchohol for 6 months to a year post op). Well big mistake for me, it turned into a problem within a couple of months, so I stopped drinking completly, my daughter had the same surgery and can have a glass or two of wine and have no problems, not so with me. The surgery was well worth it, I have no regrets. I had tried everything alse I could, I would lose weight and gain twice as much back, the crazy yoyo effect you may be familiar with, it has been something so many of us have struggled with most of our lives. Now I feel better, got off all my meds, and can climb hills, hike and jog with ease which is a neccesity for me beause I am a wildland firefighter. Hang in there it only gets better. :cool:

Thanks for getting back to me. I started at 280. Now I am 271. Waiting for medicare to approve surgery. I am a retired Registered Nurse. We take care of everyone but ourselves...I was also a yo yo dieter. Always gaining more back than what I lost. They (WBI) have not told me what they want my goal to be...but I want to be 130-140. They say that you gain about 10 lbs back when you are done ..so I will shoot for 130 and hold at 140. Bye the way. I have been sober since 1988. My husband has 28 years sober. One day at a time. I have to treat food like alcohol. I am addicted to both. Lucky me. It is a whole new journey for me. Walking on the treadmil and doing some strenghening exercises also. Anxious to get approval. Hopefully in January. I'll keep you posted... Kris:D

Sounds like you have your goal weight set, you could average it and go with 135. My doctors asked me what I wanted for my goal and I just figured 175 would be good, I haven't weighed that little in more than 20 years. This journey is a jouney of a lifetime, the way I look at it even when we reach our goal weight we need to work on staying within that weight range for our health and for all the hard work we put in to get there. Keep up the good work and yes one day at a time for me too, Thanks. :cool:

Good luck with you surgery. I also worked in the medical field for 40 years and took care of everyone else also. Had my surgery 12/1/11.

Hello newme55! My name is Jennifer! I am scheduled to have the surgery on 1/20/12!! woo hoo! this whole process has been an eye opener for me and my family! congrats on the sober you, my hubby is sober 3 yrs. I remember saying to him I do not understand why you cannot just give it up! well now I know I have an unhealthy addiction to food! thank you for sharing on here it is a great place to be! I do not feel alone! Good luck on getting your approval I will be sending good thoughts your way!!!

Hi Jennifer!!

Hello newme55! My name is Jennifer! I am scheduled to have the surgery on 1/20/12!! woo hoo! this whole process has been an eye opener for me and my family! congrats on the sober you, my hubby is sober 3 yrs. I remember saying to him I do not understand why you cannot just give it up! well now I know I have an unhealthy addiction to food! thank you for sharing on here it is a great place to be! I do not feel alone! Good luck on getting your approval I will be sending good thoughts your way!!!

Hi Jennifer, I am Kris. My chart is getting submitted today for approval! Hopefully I can have surgery before the end of January. Good luck to you on 1-20! I will keep you in my prayers. Lets Keep in touch. I am having the RnY bypass. What are you having? I have identified my trigger foods and will need to stay away from them . Abstinance is the best for me!:)

Hello, My name is Kris. My chart is going to be submitted for approval today! How are you doing after your surgery on 12-1-11? I am having a RNY also.

I am having the same as you! I am sooo excited for you I will keep you in my prayers as well!! I am sure it will all go well for you! I have lost almost all of the required weight so things should go well! I see my surgeon again and for the last time on january 10th. Time has just flown for me!! well keep in touch!!;)

I'm Ready and waiting....

I have lost the 14 lbs that was required before surgery....so I am ready and waiting for approval. Will keep you informed. Thanks for all the support. Kris

Good Luck. I am almost 8 months post op & doing great. I have lost over 120 lbs & have no regrets. You will feel so much better.

Welcome to all of you I haven't met yet. I've been involved in a very lengthy move to another state, just getting settled and trying to sign on again. It seems I've missed so much.

I enjoyed all the comments here and just smiled reading the...but I think what really caught my attention and really put a smile on my face was the comment that newme made about us finding our "trigger foods". You will all find that immediately your taste buds change. An odd quirk with the surgery. What may have been something you loved and wanted 24/7 could easily be the food that you get all excited to taste, put it in your mouth, and spit the thing out. It happened to me just like that many times.

And I have no problems spitting something out that 1. I realize I should not be eating or 2. I realize I am full and don't want to stuff my pouch and/or stretch it. Amazing how our attitudes change following the surgery.

I'm post surgery 2 1/2 years. I've surpassed my goal, gone from a 5 yr life expectancy to adding 20 years to a normal life expectancy to malnutrition and now finally, I am healthy and feeling great! There are hard times..there are easy times..it is life and it is wonderful.

I wish you all the best with your success in the program and look forward to hearing from each of you.

Letrell

Hi, Newme55! You don't know how telling your screen name is, because it will be a new you! I had my surgery last april and just hit my 100lbs lost at the end of the year! I'm shooting for between 30-40 more lbs to be at my goal. Having surgery was the BEST thing I ever did! I am soooooo happy! I never knew what it felt like to be "normal" until I lost the weight. I was always tired and sore, but not anymore. I am running my first 5k on saturday and am excited! I take the stairs because I want to now, not because that is the only option. I exercise and watch what I eat, but it is so much easier than it used to be. There are some hard days, like anything, but it is an awesome journey and I am grateful to take it! There are some really great bariatric eating websites that have great recipes and things you can order. One thing to note, ALWAYS do exactly what the Dr says to do! Don't think you know better! Take your vitamins and get your protein. If you do these things, you will do great! When you first start exercising it is hard, but then it gets way easier and even enjoyable! Good luck to you! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help! Kind regards, Jen

Back