• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Bread

NMEast

I have read that several people have trouble eating bread and bread products. I was wondering if home ground wheat used to make home-made bread causes the same problems? I am now 4 days away from surgery and beginning to get nervous, wondering if all the things I enjoy now will be gone forever.

The truth is that what is your favorite now may not be after surgery. I have noticed my taste have changed and read that I am not alone. I would ask the nutritionist their thoughts on the bread. I am sure you will hear that protein first, veggies second and if precious space allows then a carb. Good luck and know that favorite foods will not consume your thoughts after the surgery.

I have read that several people have trouble eating bread and bread products. I was wondering if home ground wheat used to make home-made bread causes the same problems? I am now 4 days away from surgery and beginning to get nervous, wondering if all the things I enjoy now will be gone forever.

I was told right from the start of my journey that soft bread can sometimes be a problem in making a gag reflex after surgery and when eating bread that I should toast it well and it will go down easier. This has been so true for me. I could not even tolerate toast for the longest time and I am just now recently able to eat bread on a half sandwich without throwing up. This really hasn't bothered me much because I am not really a bread person but I do like my piece of meat occasionally on a piece of bread. Everyone doesn't have this problem, and some people tolerate bread just fine, so you may be one of those people. I wouldn't worry because believe me this is a wonderful journey and the benefits far outweigh any one type of food.

Wishing you the best of luck!!! :)

I agree about the bread, I find it easier to eat if I toast it first. Not that I am always where I can toast something. I am 18 months out and there are still things I have trouble eating. Just take it one day at a time. If you find that you can't stand something at first when trying it after surgery, wait a while it could get easier.

I like a piece of toast with my soft boiled egg. The bread is difficult. So what do you do. Satisfy your need with a bite or two. You don't have to finish the whole slice. I find many times that I can only consume half a slice along with my egg at breakfast. You know what? That is ok.

Ralph

I find that I don't eat much bread, though I do love a good European bread. The biggest thing you need to do is change the way you look at food. Try to think of it as Fuel for the Body first, then many of the old cravings start to lose their pull, at least they did for me. Now when I eat something, I'm always looking to see if it provides me some nutritional value, if not, I don't normally eat it. Just a thought. You will find what works best for you as you travel down the road that is the WLS journey.

Frank

:cool:

all these posts have helped me I was always a bread person , and didn't lose the craving after the surgery . my tastes didn't change much at all actually I wish they had . I have some serious bread cravings . sweets didn't affect me either , but aslong as they are not around im fine . I also noticed when I do stop the carbs whatever they may be the weight comes off more efficiently . I have issues with the natural sugars such as in fresh fruit , apples mostly . dairy makes me gassy . ohh yeah I get the same affect from breads and sweets .

Sad to say, there's really not much nutrition in bread so it shouldn't be a main staple for you post-op. Have you read Wheat Belly by William Davis? He claims that our over-engineered wheat supply has become harmful for us and shouldn't be consumed at all. I agree with him (about the over-engineered part) but I think that can be said about so many of our over-processed foods, it's hard to find anything that hasn't been messed with.

I am now 2 weeks out from surgery, and the first thing I have noticed is that I have 0 appetite, which is a help. Second, I haven't had any problems with anything I have eaten, even the few bites of bread that I have tried. No nausea, no indigestion, no acid reflux. I have even had a tiny spoonful of egg custard and no issues with sugar. My biggest issue now is getting enough protein and liquid, since I have no wish to consume anything. I feel like I am forcing it, to keep drinking and drinking. I hope this gets easier.

I am now 2 weeks out from surgery, and the first thing I have noticed is that I have 0 appetite, which is a help. Second, I haven't had any problems with anything I have eaten, even the few bites of bread that I have tried. No nausea, no indigestion, no acid reflux. I have even had a tiny spoonful of egg custard and no issues with sugar. My biggest issue now is getting enough protein and liquid, since I have no wish to consume anything. I feel like I am forcing it, to keep drinking and drinking. I hope this gets easier.

Seriously??? You have 0 appetite and no wish to consume your liquids and protein YET your eating bread and custard.. REALLY??

Why did you have the surgery?

Learn to deal with your cravings by relating them to what is currently going on at the moment you have the craving....

Yes I know I am a bi-o-tch.. I take my surgery. success and health very seriously.

But seriously why did you have the surgery? You are 2 weeks post-op and now starting to play with and feed your old habits, falling for cravings and have no appetite or desire and having issues to get your liquids and protein in..

I am seriously at a loss for words....

Start with one bite and he next thing you know you will have consumed your pre-surgery quantity...

When you crave bread or other junk drink a protein shake or sip on water, hot tea, both have an ice pop..

Ok, this sounds bad. No, I am not eating these things regularly. I ate a bite of bread to see if I could do it, and I ate 1/8 tsp of custard to check the taste before feeding it to guests. I think, what I am trying to get across, is that I don't seem to be having problems with anything that I do eat. This seems to be different from everyone else. I have read about the horror stories of dumping syndrome, drinking too fast, taking too big of a bite of food or not chewing enough, and I don't seem to be bothered by any of what anyone else is going through.

Dinner tonight was supposed to be 2 tablespoons of deviled ham (well pulverized per instructions of the nutritionist) and 2 tablespoons of applesauce. I wasn't even able to finish the ham, never mind the applesauce, which I didn't even start. Not because it made me sick, I just didn't want it. This, while surrounded by 14 people, chowing down on home made hamburgers, home made buns, all the fixings; french fries and peach custard pie. Not a single craving for any of it.

That is outstanding. Be cautious with the foods, just because you didn't have a problem with a very small amount of custard doesn't mean you won't have issues if you try larger amounts. Truthfully, it sounds like you probably don't need the warning, but just in case, there it is. BTW you're doing great.

Frank

:cool:

Ok, this sounds bad. No, I am not eating these things regularly. I ate a bite of bread to see if I could do it, and I ate 1/8 tsp of custard to check the taste before feeding it to guests. I think, what I am trying to get across, is that I don't seem to be having problems with anything that I do eat. This seems to be different from everyone else. I have read about the horror stories of dumping syndrome, drinking too fast, taking too big of a bite of food or not chewing enough, and I don't seem to be bothered by any of what anyone else is going through.

Dinner tonight was supposed to be 2 tablespoons of deviled ham (well pulverized per instructions of the nutritionist) and 2 tablespoons of applesauce. I wasn't even able to finish the ham, never mind the applesauce, which I didn't even start. Not because it made me sick, I just didn't want it. This, while surrounded by 14 people, chowing down on home made hamburgers, home made buns, all the fixings; french fries and peach custard pie. Not a single craving for any of it.
There seems to be this big urge a week or two out to try something forbidden. I had it, but luckily didn't act on it (on the advice of someone in this forum). It would have seriously hurt my healing sleeve.
When you are able to consume more, you probably will have dumping syndrome if you eat the wrong thing or eat too fast. My first experience with it was eating some chicken that wasn't soft enough. OMG I thought I was having heart failure! I was in a car with someone and had to stop on the highway to throw up and then walk up and down the highway to try to make that feeling go away.
But I do understand how you feel about being different because you're not having lots of problems with different things. I wish chocolate made me violently ill, but alas, it doesn't, so I'll have to use another method to not eat it.

The first 4 weeks are supposed to allow your stomach and incisions to heal. I don't have an issue with you trying a treat like a small bite of something you love. Don't deny yourself. However, be aware that if you cannot keep it to a small bite, then you should not do it at all. To do so, will lead to you defeating the surgery, expanding your stomach and then as it has echoed here why did you have the surgery? Unfortunately, I have listened to people in support groups that came back too late after they had gained all their weight back.

So, before you head down that path ask yourself is it worth it?

Focus more on all the benefits that you will see in the coming month or two. Start listing the benefits. Look at them. Then you will be able to answer the question is it worth it?

Ralph

Back