• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

briatric support groups

hi my name is Erica Johnson and I'm currently finishing up all my clearances. But I want to know what do we have to do for supports group, I mean do we just talk and support each other and listen in on others discussion. or what else do we need to do and how long should the support group last?

Hi Erica
You have already started. Think of it as attending a networking get together and you are strolling through the room picking up on different conversations. You can comment on a conversation, start your own conversation (as you have already), and give information, support, or encouragement.

We just ask that you be respectful and positive and you will be rewarded by some of the most compassionate and supportive people you could find. Welcome

hi my name is Erica Johnson and I'm currently finishing up all my clearances. But I want to know what do we have to do for supports group, I mean do we just talk and support each other and listen in on others discussion. or what else do we need to do and how long should the support group last?

Welcome to our forum.

Start a thread when you have a thought.

Chime in anywhere.

Ask questions in your threads. There are no dumb questions. The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask !!!

Comment on any thread anywhere.

I generally go to new postings each day and comment on most of the new posts.

Also, do join a local bariatric support group in your area if you can.

I go to one monthly. It last two hours. The first hour is for pre-op and post-op. What happens here is the post-ops are usually responding to pre-op questions. We are essentially helping the surgeon's team by presenting our experiences to those folks considering the surgery.

The second hour is post-op only where we deal with our own issues and go over helpful information to keep us on the straight and narrow.

Sometimes, we have to help someone who is having a difficult time and/or is straying a little and help them get back on track.

Remember this is just a tool to get the weight off.

The first year to year and a half is the "honeymoon" phase. I am in the honeymoon phase right now myself. I am loving the changes, the weight loss, the many more things I can do now, getting off meds, etc., etc.

Ultimately, when we reach our maintenance weight, wherever that may be, we then have to make sure that we have now created a lifelong eating discipline that will allow us to stay at our maintenance weight.

This does require a new attitude and we must work together to achieve this goal.

Ralph

Hi Everyone, I'm back ! I've been sick with a bad sinus infection for three weeks-this is the fourth week and I just started feeling a little better. I've been on antibiotics for ten days now. Well, it has been a real challenge diet-wise being post-op two months now. No appetite then craving things we can't have-carbs. I am a diabetic and my sugar levels were under control finally and then they went up because I was sick-a normal thing with diabetics. However, high levels cause sugar and carb cravings big time !!! What a mess with a lot of intestinal issues and depression. I am so glad that I am on the upswing now and things are getting better and better!!~Hope I didn't complain too much! Hope all is going well with all of you.
Jan

This board is a great way to share your victory's and concerns. There is no set time for how long you should seek a support group. I am thinking that this is a life long journey and I will need support for life. I hope you find all your needs. Getting to a live support group has not been achievable for me as I live 1.5 hours away from the closest to my house but I find that having people to talk to on here and other on-line groups is vital. Good luck and remember to post what ever you feel like posting. We will read, reply and support each other as much as possible

I think you'll find that non-WLS-ers haven't a clue as to what you are going through, so it's best to stay connected with US.

Hi Everyone, I'm back ! I've been sick with a bad sinus infection for three weeks-this is the fourth week and I just started feeling a little better. I've been on antibiotics for ten days now. Well, it has been a real challenge diet-wise being post-op two months now. No appetite then craving things we can't have-carbs. I am a diabetic and my sugar levels were under control finally and then they went up because I was sick-a normal thing with diabetics. However, high levels cause sugar and carb cravings big time !!! What a mess with a lot of intestinal issues and depression. I am so glad that I am on the upswing now and things are getting better and better!!~Hope I didn't complain too much! Hope all is going well with all of you.
Jan

Both my wife and I used to get sinus infections. When I did we went the anti-biotic and steroid route to get the sinuses back in shape. I am also T2 diabetic. The sugars were very difficult to control since steroids send them up up and away. I had to use inordinate amounts of Novolog fast insulin to keep them under 200 while taking the meds and then it took a couple of weeks after the meds to stabilize my sugar numbers. So, I know precisely what you are going through.

Here is a solution we found that works very well.

We use a Netti. Not the pot, but a netti kit with the squeeze bottle and distilled water and premeasured packets and sinus rinsed our sinuses at least 2 times a day when we were being threatened with a cold or potential of getting a sinus infection.

See this site to see what I am talking about

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/neilmed-sinus-rinse-original-sinus-kit/ID=prod2598807-product?ext=gooMedicines_ampersand_Treatments_PLA_Nasal_Washes_ampersand_Neti_Pots_prod2598807_pla&adtype={adtype}&kpid=sku2598244&sst=22387469-9f7e-6309-2bb2-0000558064b0

Just copy and paste this into your browser and you will see the Netti-med at Walgreens.

You can buy this kit at any pharmacy, cvs, walgreens, rite aid, etc., etc.,

When we are doing well we would diminish the frequency of use down to a couple of times a week or so. If you feel that your sinuses are starting to clog a little go back to once a day for a little while.

Net result for us is no sinus infections this past year during the worst winter we have had in a long time.

I did come down with a mild cold, but I was very diligent with the netti-med doing it at least once a day for the duration of the cold. I got over the cold without anti-biotics and felt fine thereafter.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Hi , Im going to do the Bariatric Surgery. I don't know what one is better. The Sleeve Gastrectomy or the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bybass .Can anyone out there help me out please? and by the foods, I do eat the Protein first,then the rest, for snacks, I eat Yoplait Greek, and Kellogg's Special K makes cereal bars and chips. you can eat them instead of the other bad snacks,, but keep the fruit and vegs,in your meals to..

Thank you ,,Bethlyn70 ;)

Back