• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Bypass or Sleeve?

lori2001

:confused::confused:

Hi need some help? I am no sure which surgery to have at first just thought the lap band but I don't think that is right for me. Now I was all set for the bypass but very nervous about all the re-routing. When speaking to my Dr I thought no way for the sleeve its all to new but now thinking this is the best choice. Can anybody give the their results on the sleeve? How fast did the weight come off and was it worth it or did you gain weight after you reached your goal?

Hi Lori, welcome to the board. I originally planned to have the sleeve, but my insurance would not cover it, but they would cover the by-pass. I went with the RNY and am very happy that I did. For me it was about being non-reversible and of course there is the issue with dumping that you get with RNY. I'm addicted to sugar, once I start I'm done, I can't stop. Someone told me later that with the sleeve, if you eat sweets there is no dumping, the only one you're hurting is yourself. I'm glad I had the RNY. I'm done 140 pounds since Sept of 2012. I did lose 30 pounds during my three week liquid diet. Surgery was Oct 17, 2012 and it is far and away the best health decision I ever made. Let me caution you, do not judge your expected weight loss on my or anyone else's losses. Each of us is different and we all lose weight at different rates.

Frank

:cool:

Hey Lori,

Welcome, do this, type in "Bypass or Sleeve", into the search engine and you will get a complete list of all the threads that have dealt with this question in the past. You have to sort through some unrelated threads but there is a lot of pay dirt there. Good luck, Lori.

Cheers

Hello Lori,
Frank is correct. I chose the sleeve because I liked that I felt it was less drastic in terms of changing your internal connections and it requires less follow up visits to the doctor than something like the lap-band. That said, I can eat whatever I want. Nothing makes me sick. So I guess that can be a bad thing depending on how you look at it. I actually talked with someone who said they had the bypass because they didn't feel they had enough self-control to be able to stay away from sugary or fatty foods that would make them sick afterward. I didn't consider it from that point of view. I know that my surgery is just a tool and I'm going to have to do the hard work, but I also want to feel like if I decide to eat a treat at a family event, I can do that, and just get back to the healthy routine the next day. Hope this helps you! :)

Back