• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Death Row

dking3284

On Monday I begin my two week pre-op liquid diet and
I am so not looking forward to it!

Since taking a nutrition class in April, I have changed everything about the way I grocery shop, prepare food and eat, so as to start conditioning myself for life after bypass. But, I'm thinking tomorrow I will give myself one last day to have something I'm going to have to give up.

I almost feel like a death row inmate on the eve of their execution, when they cam choose whatever they want for their "last meal".

That is one way of looking at it and most of us probably had our "last meal" before starting the diet. I know I planned a big one and had it to, but I can't remember what I had or why it was so important. You are not on death row, instead you are now on Healthier, Happier, Longer living row. Success in this journey depends a great deal on your attitude, so start believing that one eats to live and not live to eat. Believe me when I say it is worth it, because I'm so much happier now than I've been in a very long time. My wife sometimes wonders what happened to the old grumpy me.

Frank

:cool:

Hang on to those reasons you had when you first started down this road. After you start to lose weight and feel better about yourself physically and mentally you wonder what was this bit of drama all about in the first place. Right now food occupies a a huge portion of your life but as you lose you will come to the conclusion, that food was and is over rated. Being healthy and being able to do more with your life will become your main concerns. Not to long from now, if you choose to go forward and not backward you will laugh at this little bit of drama. One small step one giant leap.

I think its more like LIFE row!!! It will be a whole new life for us and maybe the things we have to give up will be worth the things we gain!!!! So hang in there!! And remind me I said this when I start my liquid diet July 16!!:D

I did the same thing. But, I took a week! Ate whatever I wanted! I am currently a week into the 2 week diet. I am down about 14lbs! It is tough at times. It DOES get easier! Although, I never want another shake in my life! It's worth it! Just stay strong. There are many times I would love to sneak in something "Special". Instead, I chew gum or sugar-free mints. Good Luck to you!

It gets easier!

The two weeks before surgery was mentally hard. I kept wanting other things but I knew if I just stuck with it I would make my weight target. After having the surgery I thank heaven I did the two weeks pre-op because I had already gone through all the "mental" junk and could just focus on the physical recovery. Now 4 weeks post surgery I don't want all that junky food I lived off of before. IT HURTS to eat it! You only have to eat something once, get sick, retch, have pain, and feel miserable for a few hours to not do that again! Keep working the program all of the mental stuff will get easier! ;)

I agree it gets easier. I am a year into healthier eating, and occasionally I'll eat something that I shouldn't, and it doesn't even taste good. It's a very powerful feeling to walk past a candy aisle and say to yourself, nothing appealing here.

Back