• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Discomfort While drinking

jennyms

I am now 4 days post op and yesterday I did manage to get my 60 grams of protein in and 44 ounces of water. (our nutritionist said not to count protein shakes toward hydration fluids) So I guess I have 2 questions for those of you who have been there. I know they told us it would be hard to get in all our fluids in the beginning but just do our best. Does 44 oz sound super low for a few days out? Also, does anyone have any experience with the uncomfortable drinking? Does that ease up with time? I just get a crampy feeling in my chest and stomach, could it still be the gas pains? I have been trying to stroll around hoping that would ease things. Sorry, I know that's a lot of questions, but I'm hoping things will start going smoother soon. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.
-Jenny

Jenny,

Every program is slightly different. Our nutritionist said we could count shakes toward our hydration but that they wanted you to make about half of your intake to be water. Are you drinking or sipping? If you are experiencing discomfort maybe you need to sip a bit more slowly. Also popsicles and jello count toward your fluids. I don't do water well so I use crystal light and iced tea. It takes me over half an hour to drink my coffee because if I drink too fast it does hurt even though I only have a band. Another think I noticed is that if my fluids are too hot or too cold they hurt my pouch so I don't use ice very often. Hope this helps but it appears to me that if you can't count your shakes maybe your pouch is being overloaded. My shakes were made with 8 ounces of low fat milk so that was 24 ounces plus my coffee, tea, and what water I could tolerate. So I got more than half of my fluids with other than shakes. Now I do shakes maybe once a day for breakfast because my band is tight in the morning. I was given permission to do that. Good luck. It gets easier.

Jenny

Sounds like you are doing great! I went to the Dr yesterday 5 day post opp visit and had some of the same questions. The doctor said the chest cramps are from drinking to fast, take smaller sips more often. He also said 40oz was okay for the first few days but in the next few days try to add an ounce per hour or so. He wants me at a 60oz at around 7 to ten day. He also said that my pouch is still swollen so there isn't enough room to take large drinks and suggest using a shot glass and drinking one per 15 to 20 minutes. I hope this helps. I had so many questions he pulled up a seat gave me allot of his time. It was a great visit and I learned so much. Plus I get to eat soft foods again so yesterday was a great day!

Best advice he gave me was do what you can every day and eventually you will be back to 100%. Stop with the worry:cool:

Best wishes
Sharon

Thank you both so much for your replies. I am going to try to slow down my sipping and try them closer to room temp and maybe work my way up to the cooler drinks. Thanks so much.

I am 2months post op and still find it difficult getting my fluids in...sugar free popsicles have been a lifesaver!! I practically live off them!! LOL its one thing that doesn't make me nauseaus and sits well with my new stomach!

also 4 days out

Jenny, I am also 4 days out from surgery. My surgery was the 17th of June and I am having the same problems that you are experiencing. I have pain in my lower stomach area after taking a sip. For me it does not matter how small the sip is. My doctor told me to worry more about fluid than protein at this point. I am on clear fluids for 2 weeks. I have put half a scoop of protein powder in a bottle of water as one of my bottles each day so far. I am going to try to increase after reading the other posts. I have been walking one hour each day at 2 separate outings. I do them in the morning. I have never exercised more than 30 minutes in one day in all my life. For this achievement I am very happy. I usually have pain in my feet by the time I finish but not the past two days. I hope I will keep this up. The problem I am having is all the ads for food and thinking about food during the day. I would rather be working than this kind of thinking. I know I will have to concur this problem.

I'm 6 weeks post op and I'm still having a hard time getting my liquids in. I'm luck if I get 20 oz of water a day. I'm trying to be real strict with my not drinking 30 minutes before or after I eat, so I'm running out of time in the day for drinking. I like the shot glass idea that Sharon posted...I'm going to try that.

fluids

I do not think I am having trouble with the amount because since I am on medical leave that is all I have to do. I get over 40ozs with soup and all. I expect when I go back to work it will be harder to get it in during the day. Right now it is a sip every 2 minutes and that won't work while at work. I hope I do not cause the pouch to get big just from water. I took a bathroom cup and mark 1 oz and 2 oz to slow down my drinking. I have always been someone that had a bottle of water in her hands so slowing down has been a lesson for me.

Hi Slucas,

I take a water bottle with me to work and sip all day long. It depends on what job you have as to how well that can work for you. Where there's a will there's a way and I can see you have the will. I know it's frustrating at first, but don't let it get you down, keep plugging away. It does get better.

Frank

:cool:

thanks

Thanks Frank. That is one thing I can do and am getting myself in the habit now. If nothing else I will get my water in. I am starting to have trouble with drinking protein powders and drinks, so I am trying boost next. Thanks for all of your information, it is truly helpful. Susan

Back