• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Drain Tubes?

Hey Carla! I can tell you I never had my drain tube when I went home. I had it removed right before I left the hospital by my surgeon and his P.A. They will tell you to take a deep breath and POP! it's out. Really fast and easy to get out :) No worries chica!! You've got this!! :)

Bama-Some people need to keep their drain(s) in and some don't, you will be evaluated before you leave. Even if you come home with a drain it's no big deal so try not to worry about it.

I don't worry about the drain tube. BUT, it Grosses out my husband. LOL Just wanted to give him a heads-up.

Bama-My neice came up with a nickname for hers (she had a foot infection). She's called it a blood grenade *LOL* This was for the type of drain that has a "bulb" attached to collect the fluids. This is the same type I had.

Hi Bama,

The drain tubes will be removed before you leave the hospital. They are an essential part of your post-op procedure. Once they are removed, you'll feel more comfortable. No worries, it's part of the procedure that's essential after surgery.

Back