• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Early Birthday Present - Surgery is Feb 23rd

MarissaT

Hello all, My name is Marissa. I am new to this site and I have read some of the blogs and I am very encouraged by all of the posts! I am scheduled for my gastric bypass on next Thursday (5 days before my birthday) I am excited, nervous and a little anxious all at the same time. I am ready for a new leash on life. I have struggled with weight for about 12 years now and I am ready to start this journey of being healthier, happier for myself and hopefully a little sexier for my supportive husband!

I was wondering could anyone give me the scoop on how they felt once they were alert and in "recovery room"? I am not one that takes pain too well and just curious as to what you felt like. (I know everyone takes pain differently)

Good luck and God Bless all who are getting ready for this surgery!

Hello all, My name is Marissa. I am new to this site and I have read some of the blogs and I am very encouraged by all of the posts! I am scheduled for my gastric bypass on next Thursday (5 days before my birthday) I am excited, nervous and a little anxious all at the same time. I am ready for a new leash on life. I have struggled with weight for about 12 years now and I am ready to start this journey of being healthier, happier for myself and hopefully a little sexier for my supportive husband!

I was wondering could anyone give me the scoop on how they felt once they were alert and in "recovery room"? I am not one that takes pain too well and just curious as to what you felt like. (I know everyone takes pain differently)

Good luck and God Bless all who are getting ready for this surgery!
Hi Marissa, I had gastric sleeve a week ago, I had no pain most of my hospital stay since i used the pain med button as often as they would let me , so that i would not feel any haha. I felt mostly sore, it bothered me to roll to the side of the bed to get out, it felt more like a pulling sensation not pain! When i got home i never used my pain meds, but the first time i sneezed it kinda hurt. Good Luck on your surgery let me know how you do!! heather

Hi Marissa, Welcome to this site. I am Tom. I don't remember much pain in the hospital either, but I too remeber whenever I laughed or sneezed I would feel some pain, it took about a week or two to subside but my grandkids would enjoy making me laugh because of the funny look on my face (a laughing grimace of pain) I made when I laaughed:) when I look back on it, it was funny LOL. I don't tolerate pain well either so I used the pain pump as much as I could the first 24 hrs then after that I was ok and had some oral pain medicine for a few days but I can't remember much discomfort. You should do fine. Let us know how things go, and if you have more questions there are a lot of great folks here that cane help you out. :cool: Tom

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks all for your reply! This site has been great to read. I look forward to posting after my surgery. Keep in touch!

If I wasn't allergic to tape I would be taping the pain pump button to myself *LOL* I am such a coward when it comes to pain but the way I look at it is that it will go away eventually. In the meantime, pass me the pain meds please *LOL* Patti-I know you will be saying something about this :)

Marissa, my 10th anniversary is Feb 24th. Congratulations on this wonderful gift you're giving yourself!

When I came out of the anesthetic I was hooked up to a morphine pump, and I could dose myself if I needed. I didn't feel too much pain, but there will be some to deal with when you need to get up and walk. Don't let that stop you -- it's all good!

Hang in there, my friend! I will keep you in my thoughts.

Wow Mary - congrats on your 10 year anniversary! I see that you have made your goal weight! that is fabulous. Thank you for your words of encouragement. No pain, no gain right! Thanks I will defintely keep in touch after my surgery to let all know how I am doing!

chexking back in almost 2 weeks post op!

Hello all, hope all is well for everyone. Well I made it through surgery and all seems well. I was feeling pretty good right after recovery and was even walng do the hospital hallway a few hours after surgery. Day two was my most difficult day in the hospital. I was having major back and shoulder pains and was unable to sleep so naturally I was vert irritable. Nevertheless I walked for 20 minutes and was really product of myself but then the pain started kicking in again. Thank God for the pain pump! Lol. I was released on Saturday afternoon by this time i was only abe to eat jello and chicken broth. Now that I am home I am having trouble with the pureed food diet! I dont like pureed food much at all so I could really use some help with suggestions on what may taste good. I have found the cream soups seem to satisfy my taste and tomato soup as well. But i am getting tired of jello, pudding, soup etc. I am not a meat eater too much but finding that i am craving chicken and foods with some consistency.

Oh yeah i weighed myself yesterday and i was down 16lbs! Yup you read correctly...I can't believe it myself. I am so excited about my new journey in life.

Marissa-Congradulations on your surgery and 16 lb. weight loss! My RNY was 1 week ago today. I also had pain in my left shoulder and lower back starting on the second day after surgery. It was probably gas pain believe it or not. It has something to do with pain transference through a nerve that runs through these areas. I actually weighed 24 lbs. more the day I came home from the hospital than I did the morning of surgery. I retained fluids from the IV. I still haven't lost all of it but it's coming down and I should be showing a weight loss within the next week (I hope). I have a follow up with the surgeon this week and will be discussing this with him.

I just started the phase 2 meal plan the day before yesterday and also found the cream based soups good. Today I am having problems eating since NOTHING looks or smells good to me. If I could have a couple of bites of pasta I would like that but it's not going to happen anytime soon. Funny thing, I have also been craving chicken since since a week before surgery *LOL* Maybe try eating some cream of wheat. Add some protein powder to it if you haven't met your requirements for the day. That's probably what I will be having later tonight. You should be able to eat cottage cheese but you need to mash it smooth with a fork or better yet eat ricotta cheese if you like it. It's already smooth enough to eat. Good luck with your meals, I know exactly what you are going through.

CONGRATULATIONS, Marissa!!!

You have officially crossed over, and you're on your way! I'm excited for your recovery.

There is a great protein powder available from Nature's plus called Spirutein. It has 14 grams of protein per serving and comes with its own measuring scoop. It's available at most healthy food places, as well as Amazon.com. It comes in flavors from Vanilla to Cookies&Cream, Chai Latte and Chocolate Cherry. You mix it with milk or juice -- it's SO easy on the tum! It works best if you have a blender -- it can be chalky or clumpy if it's not mixed too well. They even have lo-carb and vegan. Website for info and coupons is: www.naturesplus.com

Please keep me posted on your progress. This community is a such a good support system when your family and loved ones don't get it (no matter how hard they try). I'm SO happy for you, Marissa!

Rosy regards, Mary

Back