• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Exercise

Hi Everyone! March 14th I had my surgery, Gastric Sleeve. Everything is going really well and have advanced to the next Stage of the diet/exercise. I was at the gym for the other day for the first time in six years...I had no idea what to do except for the treadmill. Felt like a lost puppy. Do any of you have any suggestions on what I should use at the gym to obtain the opitmal result?

All gyms have an advisor that is trained to do exactly what you are asking for. Just ask one of the staff members to direct you to him or her.

I am morbidly obese and very inactive, I have shortness of breath and a bad back and knee. I usually use a wheelchair even for Doctors appointments because I will be so out of breath I cant talk if I don't. I am in a lot of pain when I try to walk and I have preety high pain tolerance. I know the Dr will be advising me on exercising when I see him but does anyone have advise in the mean time ? I'm afraid I am so out a shape it will postpone surgery

I am morbidly obese and very inactive, I have shortness of breath and a bad back and knee. I usually use a wheelchair even for Doctors appointments because I will be so out of breath I cant talk if I don't. I am in a lot of pain when I try to walk and I have preety high pain tolerance. I know the Dr will be advising me on exercising when I see him but does anyone have advise in the mean time ? I'm afraid I am so out a shape it will postpone surgery

Ascooke-I also use a wheelchair outside of my house. I need a hip replacement because mine is not functional due to degenerative arthritis. So I can relate to what you are saying. I don't venture out of the house except when absolutely necessary like doctor visits and grocery shopping. Even with the wheelchair everything is very difficult but I do what I have to do. The physical medicine doctor I see wants me to exercise more. I have been to physical therapy but without a hip replacement I am very limited as to how much exercise I can do plus the pain keeps me from doing much. I plan on starting water aerobics at my local Y shortly. I want to lose about 20-25 more pounds before I start though. They said I can take my wheelchair onto to pool deck to make it easier to access the pool. They have a lift and moveable stairs with a railing for handicap access into the pool. They also have all sorts of exercise machines and an advisor who can recommend a routine geared toward me and my capabilities. My medical insurance will pay for my Y membership so my cost will be minimal. Check to see if your insurance will pay for a gym membership and then call the gyms to see if they can accomodate you.

Back