• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Family concerned and frankly so am I about how I feel.....................

P_Powell

Hello everyone,well here's the problem,I seem to have an inordinate amount of gas.:( I have never belched so much in my life,it's almost every breath.)Furthermore I only pass urine twice a day. I try to drink my whey protein and water but of course since my gastric sleeve there's not much room to hold much of anything. Today has been awful with belching. I called my bariatric Nurse this morning and she said it's pretty much normal. She asked me if I feel like it's acid or air,I told her I think it's air(but I'm not a doctor so I'm not 100 percent sure which I just know I belch and it's very frequent.) I've taken all I can take of gas x today.Couple all this with the fatigue I feel and well I feel exhausted tonight. Surgeon even told me that my fatigue is absolutely normal and it make take till Easter before I start feeling really good. I'm taking B complex for the fatigue. I wonder if I switched from whey protein back to liquid protein if that would help me get more fluids. I don't know but anything that you think might help I would be greatly indebted to you all. Please have a good evening.:(

P_Powell, It's all normal. I had the RNY but went through everything that you are going through. Except my gas issue wasn't belching *LOL* This will ease up with time but you will probably have more than what you had before your surgery. I use so much generic brand Gas-Ex it's ridiculous but it does help. You will also find that certain foods will trigger gas. I am also lactose intolerant so I take a lot of generic lactase enzyme too. The fatigue is normal and it took me until my 4th month post surgery to get my energy back but the plus is that your energy will be greatly increased compared to how it was before surgery :) The reason you are fatigued is that you are recovering from surgery, losing weight and eating a lot less calorie which add up to a huge energy drain because your body is using what little you have to heal itself. Keep trying to get at least 60 grams of protein in daily, it will help you heal faster and help get your energy level back to normal. I was 57 when I had my surgery so depending on age some people recover sooner. Ounce for ounce any low carb protein drink, sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles count towards your daily fluid goal. Some people find that adding ice or a little water to their protein drinks make them go down easier. I hope this information helps you out.

Be thankful.....and your family should be thankful. I'm 3 yrs out and my farts are deadly. A few weeks ago I was alone with the cat laying between my legs...had a very loud incident...took about 15 seconds before I saw his head jerk...he look up at me and stood...walked to the open door by the screen and layed back down with his nose poking outside. Very rude cat. Point being....get used to it...it's the protein. You are just fine. Remember...your body can no longer process food like it use to . You will always have gas if you are eating right.

Thank you so much for your replys,it made me feel better and Letrell you made me laugh,but that's ok laughter is very good for a person. Am feeling better today so again I thank you both very much!!:eek::eek:

I had the sleeve in April. Are you taking the post bariatric vitamins too?
It seems strange to worry about eating enough when the whole reason we are going thru WLS is because of eating! I went thru a plateu for two weeks and cut my protein intake thinking I was eating too much. NOT! As soon as I went back to the correct protein count, and exercised on a regular basis (despite being in a wheelchair), the WL picked back up.
Give yourself some time...but I also put pressure on myself internally:)
My energy level was back in no time. I actually was at work one week post-op. I'm in a wheelchair due to MS and a desk job. My bariatric center had us come back every week the first six post op. We had nurse visit and support group. Then back at six and 12 week for full exam. No complications - and we cross over with those six weeks ahead and behind us during support groups.
Most stayed off of work 4-6 weeks, if working.
Stay positive and think of the blessing it will be as pounds drop off. I kept thinking that any discomfort or challenge w/change was easier than staying at the weight pre-op.
My medical team said to supplement with Atkins Advantage (low sugar/carbs) protein shakes for the first six weeks and use bene-protein once on purees. I found that ISOPURE (like Koolaid) was much easier to tolerate, had less calories and counts as liquid. It is at health food stores or dietdirect.com. Our nutritionist recommended it.
Good luck fellow sleever!

I also had the sleeve. In the begining I belched after everything I put in my mouth even water. After a few weeks it began to subside. I had a touch week and was not able to get much down this week and the belching came back. Hope you are eating enough and keeping track of things that make it worse. I used Gas X and mostly it just helped with the uncomfortable feelings I was getting just from eating in the begining. I rarely need it anymore. I figure if this is the worst side effect then I am lucky. Hope things improve for you.

I am 2 years out and still get gas, it is to be expected with the high protien meal plan. Letrell you crack me up, that was funny LOL!!!! :cool: Tom

When I went to the Bariatric Seminar and met the Surgeon he told us that we would hate him for a while because of the gas. I only have a lapband and believe me I get it too. I am six months out and although it is improved to some degree I still have to be careful.

Back