• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Feeling Fatigued!

GCooper

On my pre-surgery diet. This is day six and am feeling fatigued and on the verge of tears for no apparent reason. I'm not hungry, thank goodness, but I just feel weird. I'm following exactly what I'm suppose to with the lack of recommended amount of carbs. Can't seem to hit my target with that because no sugar, and low fat, means no carbs. I'm just feeling like I can't do this same diet day after day after day, then surgery comes and its pretty much the same thing only with a smaller stomach. I'm overwhelmed with anxiety and fatigue today. I need some words and advise that someone else has felt this. Please, and thank you.

GCooper-Day six was my second day home from the hospital. It was a VERY memorable day for me. Other than the day of surgery during recovery I slept less than 3 hours during my 4 day hospital stay. I do have problems sleeping but this was the longest time frame I can remember with so little sleep. My first day home I was wired for some reason and managed to have a few short naps. The second day home I finally fell asleep in my recliner with my computer on my lap. I slept for 6 or 7 hours straight and woke up because I felt a pain on my stomach. The pain was coming from 2 dime sized very deep burns I got from the exhaust fans on the bottom of my computer. They were so bad they were bleeding the next day and took 3 1/2 months to heal. I continued to become more exhausted each day and when I had my first follow up with the surgeon we discussed this. I was told it was normal and it would pass after a couple of months. My exhaustion continued for almost 3 months at which time I slowly began to get some energy back. By the end of the 4th month I had energy to spare :) During the first 2 months or so I was feeling depressed and found myself crying sometimes for no reason, this also passed. In the early weeks after surgery I had regrets about having surgery and was unhappy with the meal plans and couldn't stand the sight, smell or taste of foods. I finally got a small appetite back during week 5 and food started tasting good again. This is about the time my depression went away and for the first time since surgery I felt happy again.

Give it a little time, your energy will come back and when you pass through the meal plan phases you will once again be able to have a variety of food. The reason we feel so exhausted after surgery is because we have just put our bodies through a tramatic event and all of our energy is being directed to healing. We are consuming very few calories and eating no protein or carbs for a while PLUS we are losing large amounts of weight. How else are we supposed to feel but totally wiped out after all of this happening to us at once? I think the depression has a lot to do with the weight loss itself plus the drastic change of diet. I promise things will get better for you as soon as you start eating some foods that give you some energy and finally taste good to you once again. Hang in there!!!

Feel free to send me private messages if you would rather not make your posts public.

I agree with Pat your body is in the healing phrase. Rest as much as you can. I am not sure when you can start protien drinks, but this will also promote healing. I was feeling down the first week, but things got better. This is a life changing surgery both physically and emotionally. Be kind to yourself. Finding the website was so helpful to me. I was able to ask people who has already been through surgery any question and got a response. Support was key for me. My family was supportive and empathized with my struggles, but talking with people who have been through it is differnt. Wishing you healing vibes. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. Remember there is no stupid question.

Hi GC, The pre op diet was pretty miserable for me too, as time went on I also thought "I don't know if I can keep doing this" but you can and you will do fine, I made it through it feeling much like you described, so just remember why you are doing this and you were probably quite sure it wasn't going to be easy:rolleyes: Your body probably doesn't know what is going on and it wants what you always ate before so it is just makeing you feel weird, tired and anxious so it is know wonder you on the verge of tears, I felt that way after surgery:( Right know it must feel like you are going to be feeling like this forever but your not, Pat pretty much explained the post surgery phases of loss of energy and remorse and I think it happens to most of us, it did me, but as we heal we start feeling better.

So for now just hang in there and do your best, you have less than a week to go know and your doing a great job, keep it up. :cool: Tom

GCooper-I just noticed your post was about day 6 of your pre-surgery diet not day 6 of your post surgery diet. Sorry about that, I was very tired when I read your post and misunderstood. I did feel some fatigue towards the end of mine, I was on a full liquid diet for 1 week with clear liquids on the last day. It was very difficult to stay on the diet because I started craving certain things on day 3. I was also feeling very emotional and had bad headaches. I knew if I didn't maintain the diet it might have caused the surgery to be postponed or that the surgeon would end up doing an open surgery instead of a laproscopic surgery. Since the last day of the diet was clear liquids and nothing after midnight I felt like I was going to fall over on the morning of surgery, and talk about crabby *LOL* I also remember when I weighed in pre-surgery I lost my balance and almost fell off the scale *LOL* That would have been a sight!!!

Once I was taken to pre-op for a final blood draw, EKG and my IV line I was kept so busy I forgot about being hungry and thirsty but not about being crabby *LOL* It is very difficult to draw blood from me and to set an IV line so I was not a happy camper by any means but I was kept so busy it seemed like everything was over in a flash and the next thing I knew I was being taken to the OR. What I am saying is that everything we do before surgery has a few bumps along the way but we manage to get over all of them. What got me through the pre-op diet and everything else was to think about the journey I was starting to a healthier life. You can and will get through this :) :) :)

Thank you so much for the advise. I'm 4 days away from surgery and I did have a little crying spell this morning, but I got out it for now. People need to fully understand that is not for sissy's. I've been burying myself in work until Thurs. morning. I really havn't felt hungry nor have I wanted to cheat, thank goodness, but if I'm around good smelling food, I just about go crazy. My husband has been super fabulous, although he doesn't understand the crying part of it, neither do I. I just get a little down at times. I have it figured like a divorce from food. If you've ever been through a divorce, its very similiar. They (food) are still around, but you cant have them, you cant have them (food) to comfort you, but you still see them (food), and above all if you stay with them (food) it is bad for you. LOL So, now, you are in a healthier relationship with someone else (better healthier food) for life. Thats my best description. Thanks for all the support, I'm have a better day, and counting down to Thursday. God Bless You all!

I am so sorry. I like Pat thought you were post op. I had a different surgery so I only had to do clear liquids for one day before surgery. The next 4 days will fly by and you will be on your way to a new and improved life. It is true there is a loss of the old life, but what I can remember having been divorced, it was not so great. I am sending you out all the postivie energy for a successful surgery and a quick recovery. Let us know how you are doing.

Dear GCooper--You can do something today that would appall you if you thought you had to do it for a lifetime. In other words, one day at a time. Praying for you.

Back