• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Finally decided on surgery and have no idea where to start.

I am only 23 years old but have lived my whole life very over weight. Ever since I was a small child, my doctors have expressed great concern about my weight. By the time I was 12 my doctor referred me to Weight Watchers (yes referred). I lost about 20 pounds but didn't have a good support system and I gave up fairly quickly. By the time I reached high school, I weighed 250 pounds. I got pregnant only a few months after graduation and gained 15 pounds (child was born 3 months early). Over the next few years, I blew up even farther and before I knew it I reached the 300 mark. I ended up just going down hill from there to my current weight of 385 pounds. I have dieted my entire life and have never lost more than 30 pounds and now I am at a breaking point. I can barely walk to my mail box (about 300 feet away from my apartment) without hurting so bad I can't stand. I have sleep apnea and i was recently informed I have to start taking Metformin since I am borderline diabetic. Due to my weight I have not had a period in over 3 years and have had massive pain at my incision area where I had my c-section and my doctor said it is due to my weight and there wasn't much I could do about it. I am scared I will not get the chance to watch my son (now 4) grow up. I only have insurance through the state so I will end up having to get a medical loan of some kind for surgery but like I stated before I am at a breaking point. I applied for a loan recently and am waiting to hear back and I could really use some advice on what I need to do since I haven't done much of anything. I saw my doctor two days ago and she said weight loss surgery would probably be a good fit for me but like I already knew told me that since I do not have a joint replacement issue or type 2 diabetes my insurance wont cover the procedure and there was nothing she could do.

I could use some info on what I do to go about starting this process on my own.

Hi,
I wanted to welcome you here. I just joined this site as well the other day. I wish you success in this journey you have chosen. Since I am so new to all of this too, what I can suggest is that you research all the different types of wls available to see which is the best fit for you. They are all life changing both physically and mentally and emotionally. Good luck to you!
Melissa

Hi Steph,

Congratulations on your decision. Diabetes is not the only co morbidity they look at. You obviously have a high BMI, and have some other co morbidities. (like arthritis, shortness of breath, and not being able to walk to the mailbox, taking metformin suggests a diabetic condition) I suggest you talk directly to a weight loss center as your regular doctor may not be aware of all the co morbidities. How is your blood pressure for example? Sleep apnea? Have you contacted your insurance to see exactly what they require? Good luck! Joy

Hi Steph, Welcome. It sounds like a chalenge for you, I know how it is to struggle with weight, I have struggled with it all my life, for a nuumber of years I was able to do enough physical labor to keep it off but as a child I was ove 225 lbs for many years until high school then I went on a strict liquid diet for 6 months and was able to maintain a weight of about 220 up until ten years ago and it edged up to over 300 pounds and kept climbing no matter what I tried if I lost weight I would gain it all back and then some, so you are not alone in that respect. Your situation sounds very difficult, you already have sleep apnia which is one of the many types of conditions that will alow insurance to cover WLS and you are bortderline diabetic, that in itself should qualify you so you may be able to have your doctor appeal trhe desision or he can wait to start you on the metforum when you finally get type 2 diabetes which makes no sense, maybe some others on here will have som more options, I wish you the best of luck and my thoughts and prayers are with you. :cool: Tom

STEPH-Welcome to the forum. Like Javajoy and Tom said your diabetes and BMI (40, 35 with co-morbidities) more than qualify you for WLS. Even though borderline, diabetes is diabetes. I'm sure there are another couple of co-morbidities that also put you into the criteria of having surgery which your insurance should cover. You might try going to another doctor for a second opinion. You could also attend a bariatric surgery seminar in your area to learn more about co-morbities and the different surgeries offered. You will be able to speak directly with a bariatric surgeon and ask questions (make a list). In any event I wish you the best of luck. Make sure you come back to the forum to let us know how you are doing.

HI Steph, Welcome to the forum. I live in NY and I know Medicaid pays for the surgery. You might want to check with your Social Service Dept. I think we all can relate to your struggles with weight. I know this was my last resort after losing hundreds of pounds and gaining it all back. I agree with Pat check out another surgeon or go to a seminar. My doctor's office works very hard with the insurance companies to get approval. After all, this is a business for them. Don't give up and if you have any questions please ask. There are so many people hear with so much information. Since each state is different, and each insurance or social service agency is different there is not one clear answer to what will work. Maybe there is someone on the site from your area that could provide some support. IMHO I would not go to Mexico. I know people have gone, because it is less expensive, but I have heard some awful stories. Let us know how you are doing.

Steph, Welcome to the forum. I didn't gain my weight until I was in my 30s, so I can't quite relate to your pain. I also, like the others, suggest finding a bariatric center of excellence near where you live, and I assure you, they know all of the ins and outs of qualifying for insurance coverage. You will also get a lot of information including books to read and support groups to join.

In pa you do not have to any other reason other then a BMI of 40. Call a local berartic center and talk to them, they may be able to help.

welcome steph, all of the above advice is awesome and on point. i cannot add anything but to say that making this decision early in your life will save you a lot of misery. i am 47 and i wish i had done this sooner. you will hear a lot of people here say they feel that way too. having a young child is hard enough but with the added weight it really limits what you can do with your child. i hope you can find a way to get the surgery covered or get a loan. if my insurance company wouldn't have paid for my surgery i would have gotten a loan. i looked at it as an investment in myself.

margaret

Back