• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Finally have my Surgery date

demarici

So l finally have my surgery date it is scheduled for Sept 21 I am going to start testing out the liquid protein drinks to get a feel of which ones I like. I would appreciate if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks Doris

Welcome demarici

our surgeries are scheduled 2 days apart mine is 19th i am feeling anxious and ready to have it over with how about you? Trying to find protein i like too, i bought a huge container months ago of a powder whey protein cause itwas cheaper i add it to skim milk, not much of a milk fan but my surgeon's office told me to start drinking skim milk 3 times a day. I would rather just consume water 24/7 but dont' think whey protein would mix well with water. The pre mix stuff seems high priced to me but maybe because i have kids and trying to stretch budget as far as possible. Are you having a hard time consuming 80 grams a protein from foods now>? I am but i know i will get better at it with some practice, the time is finally flying by, i started my journey in jan 2012 and finally got my surgery date for 9-19-12 i thought the day wouldnever come but it's now fast approaching.
So many others on here offer advice of protein drinks they've tried and liked, like unjry and eas and others, i even found liquid protein at walmart and it's watermelon flavor don't think i'd like to drink it daily and it's over 2.00a tube of it. I pour it over ice to make it last longer and sip on it i forgot to ask dr if he thought that one was ok, must remember to ask today.
Hope you are having a good day
donna

Demarici-I vote for EAS pre made and Unjury powder. Walmart carries EAS and I have found them to have the most reasonable price at around $4.75 per 4 pack. For the same thing Kroger charges around $7.75 :( I heard Rite Aid carries bulk size packages and are supposed to be cheap but I never shop there so I can't verify, it might be worth checking out :)

You may pay a little more for Unjury but it's medical grade protein and is lactose free. I heard the strwberry sorbet mixed with sugar free lemonade is wonderful. The thing I like about Unjury is that it is not overly sweet like some of the other protein powders. They also have an unflavored and chicken flavored powders.

Hi Donna,
Yes I am feeling a little anxious and excited and ready to start this new journey to better health. Thank you for your advise on the protein drinks.

Thanks Doris

Hi, Doris,

I've been checking out protein supplements for some while now. Wow! There are lots of them out there!

IMNSHO none of the RTD (ready to drink) protein supplements are as tasty as most of the powders you mix yourself. When you mix it youself, you control how much (and which) liquid to use and can even mix flavors or add other flavors such as extracts or spices.

Something to consider: your tummy capacity will be VERY small. So be aware that an 8 ounce drink will take you some time to consume. Nothing to worry about. Just take your time. You aren't running a race.

1oz (yes, only one) of Proteinex P18 gives you 18g protein. The Lemon Lime isn't half bad. I use a shot glass for easy measuring.

4oz (4oz liquid, 1 scoop powder) of Syntha-6 will give you 22-24g protein, depending upon flavor. It is designed to mix with that small amount of liquid.

8oz (8oz liquid, 1 scoop powers) of Syntrax Nectar gives you 24g protein.

The following opinions are based upon using only Water as the liquid. If you choose another liquid, be sure to factor in added protein, fat, carbs, etc. from that liquid.

My personal favorites of all those I've tried are the Syntha-6 (mixed protein sources) and Syntrax Nectar (whey isolate). I like all the Syntha-6 flavors, though of course I have my favorites; Caramel Latte is one. As for the Syntrax Nectar, what's not to like about flavors like Fuzzy Navel or Twisted Cherry?!

A box of Samples of the Syntrax Nectar flavors is available on the Syntrax website. Worth every penny! Lets you try all those flavors without investing in a large cannister.

Just think, Doris. Less than One Week to go! You hang in there, Baby!!!

Regards,

Qaterra

Keep in mind that all protein's are not created equal. You need to make sure you are using a protein source approved by your bariatric nutritionist and for your type of WLS. I'm not talking brands of protein I'm talking about types of protein. Use only what is recommended by your nutritionist otherwise you are throwing your money away and running the risk of not healing properly after surgery, low energy and loss of organ, muscle and tissue instead of excess body fat.

Pat99 makes an excellent point, as she usually does.

There are many protein sources:

Whey (several types here)
Milk (again, several types)
Eggwhite
Soy
Pea (and other vegetables)
Hemp
and more

If you have something particular in mind and your surgeon and/or nutritionist doesn't immediately recommend it, ask them about it. In addition to the "chew, chew, chew" and "sip, sip, sip" mantras, here is another that is appropriate: "ask, ask, ask"!

Back