• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

first time and needing advice.

Sweetpea

:confused: Hello, I'm new to the site and would like advice on prepping for surgery, any post surgery advice, etc. I'm interested in the gastric sleeve and have been warned that I will have stomach troubles afterward; is this true?

:confused: Hello, I'm new to the site and would like advice on prepping for surgery, any post surgery advice, etc. I'm interested in the gastric sleeve and have been warned that I will have stomach troubles afterward; is this true?

Hi Sweettpea! WELCOME to the Forum!!!

I myself had a gastric bypass but many people on this site had the Sleeve and I know most are very happy with the results and talk about how they would do it over in a heartbeat. The sleeve cuts down your stomach size and it doesn't involve changing how you absorb food. For myself, I wanted to change how I absorbed my food because I just looked at food and gained weight so I opted for the R-N-Y gastric bypass.

Pre-surgery advice is to follow a high protein, low carb, low fat diet to lose as much as possible before surgery and then as surgery gets closer you will be on a liquid diet somewhere between a couple of weeks to a few days depending on your surgeon's protocol. Much of loosing weight is mental so get your mind set on this new journey to a new healthier, better, exciting life. You will succeed if you don't re-stretch your tummy by over eating after surgery. Follow your surgeon's post op diet rules to the letter because solid food too early and too much can cause stomach leakage and have dire consequences.

Good Luck. :)

Cheyenne

Hi Sweettpea! WELCOME to the Forum!!!

I myself had a gastric bypass but many people on this site had the Sleeve and I know most are very happy with the results and talk about how they would do it over in a heartbeat. The sleeve cuts down your stomach size and it doesn't involve changing how you absorb food. For myself, I wanted to change how I absorbed my food because I just looked at food and gained weight so I opted for the R-N-Y gastric bypass.

Pre-surgery advice is to follow a high protein, low carb, low fat diet to lose as much as possible before surgery and then as surgery gets closer you will be on a liquid diet somewhere between a couple of weeks to a few days depending on your surgeon's protocol. Much of loosing weight is mental so get your mind set on this new journey to a new healthier, better, exciting life. You will succeed if you don't re-stretch your tummy by over eating after surgery. Follow your surgeon's post op diet rules to the letter because solid food too early and too much can cause stomach leakage and have dire consequences.

Good Luck. :)

Cheyenne

There you go! Right on Cheyenne!

Ralph

I have to ask who warned you? Many times someone knows someone who knows someone that had trouble. My family still tells me that I could die from the surgery. HMMM If it isn't a Dr, nurse or traditionalist that tell you something or at least someone who can say been there done that, then question the validity of their statements. I for one am 100% happy with my choice. I have had real problems and the only side effect for me is weight loss and increase energy.

best wishes

thank you Cheyenne for the advice. I was unaware of the liquid diet before surgery. This means I will be on a liquid diet for about a month total then right?
I live in a rural area and do not have access to a support group here, so my counselor suggested that I join one on line. Does this seem to be a good support system for you? I'm not very tech savvy but am working on it. At least I was able to find your post. Thank you again for the advice.

My mother is my main opposer at this point she has a friend that died of cancer after the gastric by pass about 30+ years ago. I also was asked to get more information on this sleeve by my doctor and counselor as they both know someone in the gorge area that has had complications and ended up in the hospital. I don't know if it is the same person or not though.

This is a whole new experience for me and am apprehensive of the process but am anxious to get it done so I can start losing weight and having more energy. I've watched the surgery on Utube and it doesn't seem that difficult to do. But having my doctor and counselor suggest I get more info and join a support group where I can get information from people who have had the sleeve, I think was a good idea. So feel free to post me again. thank you for your reply.

Sweetpea

My mother is my main opposer at this point she has a friend that died of cancer after the gastric by pass about 30+ years ago. I also was asked to get more information on this sleeve by my doctor and counselor as they both know someone in the gorge area that has had complications and ended up in the hospital. I don't know if it is the same person or not though.

This is a whole new experience for me and am apprehensive of the process but am anxious to get it done so I can start losing weight and having more energy. I've watched the surgery on Utube and it doesn't seem that difficult to do. But having my doctor and counselor suggest I get more info and join a support group where I can get information from people who have had the sleeve, I think was a good idea. So feel free to post me again. thank you for your reply.

Sweetpea

Hello Sweetpea,

I am not sure what doctor you are talking about here. Is this your Primary Care or GP doctor?

Have you picked a surgeon? Have you picked a hospital?

Let me give some important advice. You should pick a hospital that is recognized as a "center of excellence for bariatric surgery". You should also pick a surgeon that is one of the "top doctors or best doctors" in your area when it comes to bariatric surgery. The doctor should have performed 100s of operations. Even if you have to travel to a more populated area to have this done, I would seriously consider it.

To me it sounds like you are speaking to your Primary Care Doctor; I could be wrong.

If this is the surgeon, alarms are going off in my head. When I walked into my bariatric surgeon's office I knew he was one of the best Doctors in the nation and the best doctor in the state/region for my area. The hospital is a center of excellence where I had my surgery performed. The surgeon and his team should consist of nutritionist, psychologist, nurse practitioners and physicians assistants. There should also be a patient advocate. What I have described to you is the optimum situation.

If this was the surgeon and his team you would have attended an information seminar on the process, the hospital, the various options (lap band, gastric sleeve and gastric bypass). They would have been explained to you thoroughly. You would receive a complete information book from the surgeon that would perform the surgery. In the book is all the answers to all your questions. If not, then the patient advocate would follow up with any questions you have that remain unanswered.

So do more research.

Today, the operation is performed laproscopically with minimal evasion and for many of us the surgeon uses the Devinci Robot, which makes this procedure even more safe and precise. Research all of this.

Don't go to just any hospital and don't go to any surgeon who has only done a few operations. This is where you can run into trouble.

Now, I am not trying to scare you. I am trying to equip you with the right information to make a more informed choice.

For example, the gastric bypass is the gold standard. The gastric sleeve is more recent and gaining popularity. Both of these procedures produce results. Many will tell you that on this forum. I chose the gastric bypass since it has a history of immediately controlling diabetes post op while with the gastric sleeve it will help control diabetes over time as you lose weight. Gastric bypass involves malabsorption since the procedure does bypass about 1/3 of your small intestines and thus you will be on supplements post op for life; not a big deal. It involves taking chewable mult-vitamins designed for the gastric bypass patient to assure you do not become deficient in vitamins and minerals. Gastric sleeve does not involve malabsorption.

All this should be clearly explained to you by the selected surgeon and his team so that you can make an informed decision.

As to this online support forum, you will find many people here that will answer any and all questions you have and share there experiences with you.

So, do your research, find a thoroughly experienced (preferably a best doctor in your area) surgeon and a center of excellence hospital.

You probably will have to travel to a major city. I don't know where you are in Oregon, but there are major cities nearby. If you have to travel, then look beyond your state even Washington or California.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Hi Sweetpea! Welcome to the forum. So far you have received excellent advice from gastric bypass people. Much of the same advice is useful for the gastric sleeve as well. The sleeve has actually been around for a long time but was used as a two part operation for severely morbidly obese people. First operation was the sleeve because it is a simpler operation with out re routing the intestines and none of the malabsorption problems of the bypass. Once a significant amount of weight is lost and many of the health issues such as diabetes, cholesterol and blood pressure were resolved, this person was healthy enough for the second procedure which was the gastric bypass. Many patients at this point decided to skip the second surgery because the sleeve had accomplished the weight loss and resolved the health issues already. Because the sleeve was used as part of a two part operation for very specific types of patients no statistics were collected that were centered around the sleeve alone. It wasn't until about 17 years ago that doctors, noticing the advantages of the sleeve, started to offer this type of surgery to all Bariatric patients. Not many people could afford this surgery because Insurance companies did not include this surgery in their options for Bariatric surgery until recently.

I chose this surgery because I have arthritis in my shoulder and thumb and take NSAIDs like Ibuprofen for the inflammation and pain. If I chose the bypass surgery I will never be able to take this medicine ever, with the sleeve I was able to take it again after 6 weeks post surgery, enough time for the stomached to heal completely. I won't have to take multi vitamins, B-12, or Iron supplements for the rest of my life either. My diabetes was resolved immediately after surgery, as well as my cholesterol and now my blood pressure. I will be taking the two Bariatric medications for 6 months post surgery like those who have had the bypass operation and the same vitamin supplements for 6 months, but then I will only need the vitamins that I was lacking pre surgery which was vitamin D.

The side effect of having the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy is acid reflux. This problem usually goes away 6 to 12 after surgery, but sometimes it will never go away. Something to consider. Also, whereas most bypass patients suffer gas and difficulty getting enough nutrition and fluids in post surgery, they are pretty much pain free other than tenderness around the incision sites (usually 5 laparoscopic sites) after surgery. About 33% of sleeve patients have nausea and vomiting after their surgery like I did and ended staying in rage hospital for three days or more instead of the usual one day.

I am very happy I chose this surgery and would do it again despite the vomiting and I hate vomiting, worst of all sickness in my book. For me the benefits far out weigh the side effects and with each day the side effects diminish. I haven't thrown up in over a week.

Good luck. You will reap what you sew. In other words, you get back what you put into this surgery and more, so continue doing your research and follow the plan your Bariatric Team gives you and you will be successful. I have lost 50 lbs in 12 weeks and feeling great.

Hi Sweetpea! Welcome to the forum. So far you have received excellent advice from gastric bypass people. Much of the same advice is useful for the gastric sleeve as well. The sleeve has actually been around for a long time but was used as a two part operation for severely morbidly obese people. First operation was the sleeve because it is a simpler operation with out re routing the intestines and none of the malabsorption problems of the bypass. Once a significant amount of weight is lost and many of the health issues such as diabetes, cholesterol and blood pressure were resolved, this person was healthy enough for the second procedure which was the gastric bypass. Many patients at this point decided to skip the second surgery because the sleeve had accomplished the weight loss and resolved the health issues already. Because the sleeve was used as part of a two part operation for very specific types of patients no statistics were collected that were centered around the sleeve alone. It wasn't until about 17 years ago that doctors, noticing the advantages of the sleeve, started to offer this type of surgery to all Bariatric patients. Not many people could afford this surgery because Insurance companies did not include this surgery in their options for Bariatric surgery until recently.

I chose this surgery because I have arthritis in my shoulder and thumb and take NSAIDs like Ibuprofen for the inflammation and pain. If I chose the bypass surgery I will never be able to take this medicine ever, with the sleeve I was able to take it again after 6 weeks post surgery, enough time for the stomached to heal completely. I won't have to take multi vitamins, B-12, or Iron supplements for the rest of my life either. My diabetes was resolved immediately after surgery, as well as my cholesterol and now my blood pressure. I will be taking the two Bariatric medications for 6 months post surgery like those who have had the bypass operation and the same vitamin supplements for 6 months, but then I will only need the vitamins that I was lacking pre surgery which was vitamin D.

The side effect of having the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy is acid reflux. This problem usually goes away 6 to 12 after surgery, but sometimes it will never go away. Something to consider. Also, whereas most bypass patients suffer gas and difficulty getting enough nutrition and fluids in post surgery, they are pretty much pain free other than tenderness around the incision sites (usually 5 laparoscopic sites) after surgery. About 33% of sleeve patients have nausea and vomiting after their surgery like I did and ended staying in rage hospital for three days or more instead of the usual one day.

I am very happy I chose this surgery and would do it again despite the vomiting and I hate vomiting, worst of all sickness in my book. For me the benefits far out weigh the side effects and with each day the side effects diminish. I haven't thrown up in over a week.

Good luck. You will reap what you sew. In other words, you get back what you put into this surgery and more, so continue doing your research and follow the plan your Bariatric Team gives you and you will be successful. I have lost 50 lbs in 12 weeks and feeling great.

Excellent update.

Also, you should know that if a gastric bypass patient needs to take nsaids they can. However, there is also another Rx that I now have that goes with it to offset the potential negative effects of the nsaid. That rx is cytotec 100 mcg tablet.

I told my surgeon that sometimes I really need to take ibuprofen. So he wrote me the prescription for cytotec.

Now I need to fill it.

So far, I have avoided taking advils to date. But sometimes I get a real bad backache and I need the advil. Therefore, I will take advil with cytotec.

It is a good point as to how long this could go on. I do not need it daily as you do.

Ralph

Excellent update.

Also, you should know that if a gastric bypass patient needs to take nsaids they can. However, there is also another Rx that I now have that goes with it to offset the potential negative effects of the nsaid. That rx is cytotec 100 mcg tablet.

I told my surgeon that sometimes I really need to take ibuprofen. So he wrote me the prescription for cytotec.

Now I need to fill it.

So far, I have avoided taking advils to date. But sometimes I get a real bad backache and I need the advil. Therefore, I will take advil with cytotec.

It is a good point as to how long this could go on. I do not need it daily as you do.

Ralph

Wow, that's awesome, Ralph. Well I guess it's all just a matter of whether one wants to take a few more pills every day or not. It's a harder choice than it used to be, but at least there are choices.
Kt

hi, sweetpea. welcome.
i haven't had surgery yet. but i can say study your options before you make a decision.
jduffy

Hello Ralph, thank you for the good advice. I am in The Dalles and will be going to OHSU in Portland for my surgery.

You are right in that, my primary physician is the one that cautioned me. She had a patient that had a gastric sleeve and she couldn't hold anything down and ended up in the hospital a couple of times. So she just wanted me to get more information on the procedure before having it done.

Sweetpea

Gr8k8, thank you for the uplifting information on the gastric sleeve. I was advised to get information from people who have actually had the procedure and not just the surgeon/team. That way I can get a feel for what to expect from the patients point of view.

I also have arthritis in my right hip and am looking at an eventual hip replacement surgery also. So am glad for the information on the ibuprofen, I was unaware of this fact.

SweetPea, RNY patient can take NSAID's and Aspirin products ONLY if you are taking a pouch protector such as Carafate or as Ralph stated, Cytotec (SP).

Hi sweetpea,Welcome to the forum. I had the sleeve Feb 10th, I had a few problems with nausea and vomiting and stayed a few extra days in the hospital. I am doing much better now. I still have a few days of nausea and some vomiting but I do have scripts to take care of the nausea and vomiting. I am slowly adding foods back to my diet and for the most part I end up going back to broths and then starting over. I for one would do it all over again because my sugar levels are all in normal levels, my blood pressure is normal, and when I go back I will be having my cholesteral levels checked and also my sleep apnea will be checked as well. I have also lost 31lbs so far. so I am pleased. Do your research and good luck. Keep us posted and come back often there is always great advice available.

TillieS

Hello TillieS

I'm glad to hear about your success so far. Sorry to hear about the vomiting and nausea. You are the second person who has mentioned it to me, so I might very well have it too... I'm hoping to have my surgery in April or May of this year. I just finished all of my testing and evaluations last week.

They tell me I'm ready but I am a little nervous still but think the procedure will out weigh the side effects, as has been stated several times by others. So I'm looking forward to the surgery and starting my weight loss journey.

Please keep me posted as to your progress and any set backs, so I will have an idea of what I can expect. Thank you for your post!

sweetpea

Hi sweetpea,Welcome to the forum. I had the sleeve Feb 10th, I had a few problems with nausea and vomiting and stayed a few extra days in the hospital. I am doing much better now. I still have a few days of nausea and some vomiting but I do have scripts to take care of the nausea and vomiting. I am slowly adding foods back to my diet and for the most part I end up going back to broths and then starting over. I for one would do it all over again because my sugar levels are all in normal levels, my blood pressure is normal, and when I go back I will be having my cholesteral levels checked and also my sleep apnea will be checked as well. I have also lost 31lbs so far. so I am pleased. Do your research and good luck. Keep us posted and come back often there is always great advice available.

TillieS

I am so happy for you TillieS.

You are doing terrific!

I see you are recognizing all the other benefits as well beyond just losing weight.

Like I have said many times, if I didn't lose another pound from this day forward, I would be happy with the results simply because of all the other benefits some of which you state above have happened.

Best wishes,

Ralph

PS Of course, I am going to lose more weight!

Gr8k8, thank you for the uplifting information on the gastric sleeve. I was advised to get information from people who have actually had the procedure and not just the surgeon/team. That way I can get a feel for what to expect from the patients point of view.

I also have arthritis in my right hip and am looking at an eventual hip replacement surgery also. So am glad for the information on the ibuprofen, I was unaware of this fact.
Hi sweetpea. I'm another happy vertical gastric sleeve patient. The only trouble I have had is if I eat too much or too fast. You don't want to do that. It hurts like an ice cream headache. I take Prilosec OTC as a preventative and occasionally rolaids for slight heartburn. I'm almost at 6 months out, so I've started adding different foods to my diet. Not many, and mostly when I'm at someone else's house and they offer me something. Bread and pasta go down good, although I've decided not to eat them regularly. I even had a piece of pizza the other day. One piece, that I couldn't finish. So different from before when I could consume 3/4 of a large pizza. I wish you the best in your journey.

Thank you! I wish you the best also. I have just discovered that I cant have my surgery until I lose 13 lbs., was very disappointed. Any weight loss ideas I can use? I don't eat that much and I eat atleast one protein bar a day (20 grams). I am at a loss, if I could lose the weight I wouldn't be wanting the surgery... HELP!!!

Thank you! I wish you the best also. I have just discovered that I cant have my surgery until I lose 13 lbs., was very disappointed. Any weight loss ideas I can use? I don't eat that much and I eat atleast one protein bar a day (20 grams). I am at a loss, if I could lose the weight I wouldn't be wanting the surgery... HELP!!!
I would suggest using one of the online tools to track your calorie intake daily. That's an easy way to really monitor what you are eating, and find the places you need to make changes. Everyone panics when told to lose before surgery, so do the best you can. They won't cancel your surgery, but they might put you on a restrictive diet in the weeks before surgery so you can shrink your liver.

Back