• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Getting Discouraged

DMG

I am almost 3 weeks post-op and I have seemed to come to a road block. I lost 30lbs in 3 weeks(thats beginning at the 2 week liquid diet pre-surgery). I plateaud for 3 days, then lost a pound. Now plateaud again for 2 days and lost NOTHING!!! I've been working out like crazy. Is this normal for Sleeve patients? Any suggestions or tips? I'm almost regretting surgery.
Dana

I would suggest you not weigh every day. If you do weigh ever day don't expect to see whole pounds being lost. If you think about it the average weight loss is about 10-15 pounds per month that is less than a pound per day. You have to give it time your body is adjusting to the changes so expect that it will slow or stall from time to time. I would not worry unless you go weeks without loss. My team said that it is not unusual to plateau for 3-4 weeks after surgery so if you are stalling for a couple days I would not stress. Try to find non-scale victories like measuring you self or fitness goals. If you follow the plan you will lose the weight.

Best wishes

It's pretty common after the initial weight loss to go into a plateau for a while, that was my experience, it just a phase. Just keep to your program and keep your expectations in check. There is no reason to become discouraged, if you keep to your plan. Congratulations on your surgery and a healthier you and keep the faith.

Hang in there. This definitely seems to be a normal progression. I am only 3+ months out and I have had 1-3 weeks (several times) where my weight didn't change at all, then all of a sudden I am 4 or 6 pounds down. Stay motivated and keep exercising. I stopped weighing myself everyday and moved to once a week and I also started paying attention to how my clothes were fitting. Try to stop focusing so much on the number (this is very hard to do :). Good luck.

I a, 7 weeks post op and lost 15 before surgery and after 15 I am so frustrated I follow the plan I write everything down I am starting to regret my choice to do this surgery

I a, 7 weeks post op and lost 15 before surgery and after 15 I am so frustrated I follow the plan I write everything down I am starting to regret my choice to do this surgery

I understand your frustration but this happens to everyone the weight loss curve isn't really a curve but looks more like a stair case. Plateaus are just apart of the game. Recently I was stuck at a weight for over two months, and nothing seemed to work. I tried more exercise and knuckling down on my diet but it seemed I had hit a brick wall. This week I am happy to say, I broke that wall and my weight is again going down. But what if I had let my impatience and frustration (oh yes, I was frustrated) get the best me then what? Quitting was not the answer for me I am too damn stubborn to quit and why would anyone go through all of what we go through just to quit.

I am back on track so it seems until I hit my plateau then I deal with that one, but not alone because I have my faith, family, friends and several groups (including this one) supporting and encouraging me all along my path. All of whom I am grateful for because no one can go it alone.

I understand your frustration but this happens to everyone the weight loss curve isn't really a curve but looks more like a stair case. Plateaus are just apart of the game. Recently I was stuck at a weight for over two months, and nothing seemed to work. I tried more exercise and knuckling down on my diet but it seemed I had hit a brick wall. This week I am happy to say, I broke that wall and my weight is again going down. But what if I had let my impatience and frustration (oh yes, I was frustrated) get the best me then what? Quitting was not the answer for me I am too damn stubborn to quit and why would anyone go through all of what we go through just to quit.

I am back on track so it seems until I hit my plateau then I deal with that one, but not alone because I have my faith, family, friends and several groups (including this one) supporting and encouraging me all along my path. All of whom I am grateful for because no one can go it alone.

Thank you I just put my scale away and I will not give up!!

I had surgery 8 weeks ago and am feeling the same things I have been reading. I lost 2 pounds a day for about 12 days, and them it has slowed to about 2 - 3 pounds a week. I am not complaining, I thought I was doing pretty good until my 6 wk. checkup and I left the office feeling somewhat of a failure. I had lost 36 lbs. and all they could talk about was I was 6 - 10 pounds behind what I should be. I have increased protein, although it makes me feel bad, am exercising and hoping for the best. I weight about every 5 days. I have lost 40 in 8 weeks and am still feeling pretty good about myself, until the next appt. Thanks for listening, I needed to vent.

Happy71 you keep feeling good about your progress. As long as you are following your plan the weight will come off. I don't know what your team was comparing you to as this is so individual. I can eat and exercise the same as you and we will lose differently. Not to bash your team. Maybe they were concerned that you were not following the plan. Whatever, you are not a failure and have never been. This is a life long journey. Be patient and kind to yourself we have been beating ourselves up for too long. DMG you have hit the dreaded 3-4 week stall. It will move. Know this, it won't be your last stall it is all part of the journey. You are changing your life one day at a time. Don't compare yourself to anyone else. I felt the same way at 3 weeks and now 15 months later, and it goes quickly, I have a new life. Wishing you well. Keep sharing as we have all been there.

Thank you for the encouragement. I was struggling with the protein, but it is getting better! I suppose that is what the team was talking about, but is was discouraging. I have my doubts that I will have 70 off by 3 months, but that is ok. I am my own person and I will succeed in my time.

Back