• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

getting frusterated

ck9779

so I am 9 days post op and I am probably just being whiny but my scale hasn't budged and honestly it almost doesn't feel like I had the surgery. I don't know if I healed fast or what but I have no problem getting my water. I never really feel uncomfortably full. I didn't realize that a mouthful of water was considered a sip. I started at 400.2 and my home scale says 403 for the past week. I am ready to start losing weight!!

so I am 9 days post op and I am probably just being whiny but my scale hasn't budged and honestly it almost doesn't feel like I had the surgery. I don't know if I healed fast or what but I have no problem getting my water. I never really feel uncomfortably full. I didn't realize that a mouthful of water was considered a sip. I started at 400.2 and my home scale says 403 for the past week. I am ready to start losing weight!!

Don't despair, when I got home from the hospital, I had gained alot of weight almost 20 lbs and I was shocked. I was in the hospital for a week because I just couldn't get my liquids down and thought I would have lost a lot of weight. Turns out the weight gain was water weight because of all the fluids they gave me in my IVs. After I got home I lost the water weight plus dropped 20 more lbs when I got weighed at my 3 week check up... It will come off :) Your body just has to release your extra fluids from surgery.

Two things for you CK, one how are your clothes fitting? Two are you getting in your protein?

Let me say that I felt like you did after my RNY surgery, I didn't think anything was done, because I was able to get my liquids in without trying. It took several days before I started seeing weight loss, because of the 15lbs I gained while in the hospital. However I did notice that my clothes were hanging differently on me, basically, they weren't stretched tight around me any more. To be successful at the weight loss, you must get in your water and protein, it is critical to your success. As long as you are keeping to the plan laid out for you, the weight will come off, I guarantee that. Sometimes it just doesn't feel like it, be patient. This is a very emotional time for you as, with most WLS people. Do me a favor, make sure you measure yourself each time you weigh yourself and step on the scale no more than once a week. It will save you a lot of frustration. Keep us up to date on your progress, we care.

Frank

:cool:

My scale moved not at all for at least 2 weeks after surgery, and then boom! 8 pounds gone. It will happen, just be patient. I don't hardly think about the scale anymore. As long as the needle stays the same or goes down, everything is good in my world.
A mouthful isn't a sip, but I haven't had any trouble with fluids either. I think our sleeves are bigger than everybody's pouches and we can tolerate more liquid.

I am getting my fluids in and about 50-60g of protein but I will be glad when I don't have to choke down as many protein shakes. 1 a day is manageable. I haven't noticed my clothes fit any differently from the pre-op diet. My surgeon isn't concerned about it because I lost 32 pounds on pre-op

Stay with the program! Get your water and protein and the weight will start to decline. It is so hard to stay off the scale but don't expect the scale to move everyday. Also, like others have said once the surgery weight is gone things will speed up.

Well wishes

My doctor said to get 60-80 grams of protein in and I have been averaging about 75. My diet on full liquid is a premiere protein shake (30 grams), provide gold protein shot (15 grams), yogurt (10 grams), Atkins protein shake (15 grams), cream soup (8 grams). Grant it, I just finished my bottle of provide gold so am going to have to get 15 grams somewhere else, but I start puréed Tuesday so that shouldn't be a problem. Also built up my walking over a week and a half to 30 minutes at 3.0 speed on treadmill and work hard to get the water in as well as all vitamins. What really helped me keep up with everything was to set up reminders in my phone every time I am supposed to eat or drink something. You can do it!!! It took a few days for me to start losing also with all the air and IV fluids in my system but the weight has been consistently been coming off since then.

Dont let that scale number worry you keep doing what your dr says. Every surgeon is different like im two weeks post op and can eat all food except starchs according to me nutritionist as i guess they don't feel im eating enough. I also feel the same inside and havent gotten that full or sick feeling yet but i think its because i have such a fear of it i stop before i think i should start feeling full. I still have to make sure my foods are mush before swallowing but binging able to hsve chewy foods is great. Also a sip of water seems to be almost a big gulp to me and its weird because i thought it should just be tiny little sips. Our bodies are going throuhj a big change we have to give them time to adjust.

I had gained a few pounds in the hospital. That was a result of them making sure I wasn't going to be dehydrated.

Then the weight did begin to fall off and it fell off quickly. Then about 4 weeks or so the weight loss simply stopped. It stopped for about 9 to 10 days and then low and behold it just happened again. Boom the weight fell off rapidly again.

My point to you is everyone is different. The weight will come off as long as you follow the quidelines. Don't try to eat until full. I know I get the full feeling rather quickly, so I have been limiting my intake to 1/3 cup rather than 1/2 cup.

Now, I may be able to get the 1/2 cup in.

The liquids I have to be careful and prevent an air bubble from getting stuck in my pouch. That is painful! So I sip and then wait and then burp and then sip. I did the gastric by-pass so the experience may be different for me than for you.

However, the end result will be the same. Just follow the program.

Oh, one more thing get into a local support group. DO NOT DO THIS BY YOURSELF!

Best wishes,

Ralph

Ralph, that last bit of advice is so important. A local support group is really helpful, it allows you to meet others face to face on this journey. Now when I have a problem, I can talk to them as well as post. That local support is so important.

Frank

:cool:

Back