• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Got the Date!!

Time 4 me

Okay....finally got insurance approval and my surgery date of November 6th. Here's the question....I have a very important wedding on November 11th, do you all think that I will be able to attend? I could put the surgery off one more week but I have already had 2 schedule dates that have been cancelled due to insurance reasons and I really don't want to go to November 13. HELP!! What should I do, can anyone give me an idea of how I will be feeling 5 days post op??

Wow! That's quite a dilemma. I'd say its only another week, but I'm going crazy myself anticipating my date that was put off just 1 week! Hard decision for you. From what I've read you might not feel too hot, everyone is different and you really don't know what it will be like for you. I think I'd wait so I could enjoy the wedding.

Good luck all the way around!

I would definitely postpone until after the wedding. YOU want to enjoy yourself and feel free to go and enjoy. If only a few days postop that you HAVE to go and may not feel great so go when you feel great and then go for your surgery is my opinion.

Also, you might be on a presurgery diet even if you wait one more week so you wouldn't be able to enjoy the at the wedding. It's really a tough question. I think I would go for the surgery but then I am an impatient person. Good luck. I am sure you will make the decision that is right for you. You may not feel like getting all dressed up for a wedding after surgery. It takes a while for the swelling to go down.

I have a very important wedding on November 11th, do you all think that I will be able to attend? . . . What should I do, can anyone give me an idea of how I will be feeling 5 days post op??

Nobody really can tell you that. Not those who have had wls. Not your surgeon. Not the nurses. Nobody.

You may feel fine and excited to attend the weddding. You may not feel like leaving the house for anything short of a fire.

If this wedding is that important to you, you might want to go for the one week delay for your wls. There won't be any "do overs" for the wedding. You have the rest of your life to reclaim your life after your surgery, only two days after the wedding. I'd say that's a pretty spectacular way to celebrate that wedding!

Time 4 me-Congratulations on your surgery date!!! I'm sure you will be up and walking by November 11th but I promise that you won't be feeling like attending a wedding. You are going to be EXTREMELY fatigued and may also still have some minor post surgical pain and still taking pain meds. You won't be eating anything yet and the sight and smell of food may trigger nausea and possibly vomiting. You will really not feel much like dressing up and socializing to the degree that is expected at a wedding.

Different people have different experiences.

My son took pain meds only on the day of and the day after his surgery. He rode in a car for an hour, then took a cross-country flight on the fourth day after surgery. He considered going back to work on the fifth day after surgery but, ultimately, decided against it. He never did experience the severe fatigue many people speak of, though he did notice a reduction in stamina.

Thank you all so much!! I have decided to reschedule for November 13th, this is my cousins wedding and my daughter is an attendant so that makes it pretty special. Not to mention I don't want my husband to attend alone. I understand that I will be on the pre-surgery liquids but that I will just have to deal with it.

I have to say that now a date is set, I am getting very nervous and even alittle weepy, knowing how drastically my life is going to change. How soon after surgery do you feel like things are "leveling out" and somewhat normal?

I have decided to reschedule for November 13th, this is my cousins wedding and my daughter is an attendant so that makes it pretty special. . . . I understand that I will be on the pre-surgery liquids but that I will just have to deal with it.

Bra-vo!!! The event is an affirmation of love and commitment, a celebration of people, not food. And remember your list of things you can drink; there will be something there for you. You'll do fine.

good for you, smart move, now you can enjoy yourself even though on diet. Do you do 2 meals of protein and one light meal, if so, could you make the wedding meal your light meal for the day?

Thanks everyone, you all just helped me make my decision and confirmed that is the right one. Although reading from all of your experiences it's making me nervous, I have been trying to educate myself but I think sometimes "ignorance is bliss"...hahaha! I know recovery is different for everyone but when can I expect to feel somewhat back to normal 1 month, 3 months, 6 months!! Like everyone else I am very busy and am stressing about the down time, I hate laying around and feeling crappy.

I can tell you that a woman in the support grp I went to said she was out of the house shopping 2 days after coming home from hospital and she had the Bypass. My doctor told me that if I were working he tells people 3-6 weeks post op to return to work fully. There is someone on the board that said she went back to work 2 weeks later and she gets tired. I think from all my reading(a lot) if you do not over "eat", just drink enough but no over drink your fluids, you should do fine. I too am concerned with nausea and vomiting since I do not do those well at all but hope to be able to just sip fluids at first so not to drink too much and not get nauseated. Remember they are rearranging your innerds so there has to be some discomfort but WE have to do some of the work to make sure we feel well and change the way we take in nourishment, NOT FAST and small amts.

Sandie- I pray that We are able to drink, stay hydrated and get all of our protein in. You are right and hopefully we will be up and shopping in 2 days...LOL. I am excited to see you are upcoming for surgery as well, let's stay connected and we can walk/run through this together.

Have a blessed day:rolleyes: Time 4 me

You are going 3 weeks before me but we will be connected I am sure. I will be driving back from Missouri to Boston area on Nov 13th but believe me, you will be in my thoughts and do after you get home get to your computer and let us know how you did and are doing. WE will be fine!!!!! I have some dental work that needs doing before I go to Missouri and before the surgery that I am not looking forward to so have a busy 6 weeks coming up for sure. Deep Breath, In, Out and relax! That is what I tell myself.

I will be praying for you that your dental work goes smoothly and you have a wonderful trip. Look forward to talking with you after my surgery. Take care;)

Hi,

I had my surgery 5 days ago and I would have attended a Wedding today and had a good time. I would not have been on the dance floor for anything fast. You made a choice that works for you, just remember that if you're on the liver diet, like I was, that you can't eat food. If the liver is not reduced, they may not be able to do the surgery and that would suck. Good luck to you on the 13th.

Time 4 me-I think you made a very wise choice to reschedule the surgery. No reason to risk missing something so important to you.

9 Days and counting!!

I'm on the count, just like a kid wanting for Santa. So much going on right now I am feeling very overwhelmed and nervous. I keep saying if only I could make the world stop for just alittle while so that I could totally focus on me, but unfortunately that's not going to happen. Can anyone give me so tips on dealing with the surgery/recovery stress?? Or maybe there isn't any and I'm borrowing trouble.

I know that I'm happy to have this site to sound off and get great advice and support. :D

Back