• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Greetings from Massachusetts!!

Jins

Hello everyone!
Today is my very first day here and I am looking forward to hear from your experiences. I am almost done with all my appointments and check ups and then just have to wait to schedule my surgery :) OMG I can't wait!!
-One side of me is scared:confused:, the very few people I have spoken about my decision were supporting me at the beggining, now, they are trying to convince me not to have surgery because they are scare that something would happen to me.
-In the other hand, I am so exited :Dand am looking forward to a change in my life which it will definately be for the better.
I guess is all a matter of organizing my life, my schedule, my meals and my health plan. It's creating a balance of all of this together, finding my happy medium. :)

Hi Jins, Welcome. It is perfectly normal to be scared, nervous as well as excited, it can be an emotional rollercoaster at stage, it finally hit me when I set my surgery date and then I realized it was all so real:eek:

Your friends are probably getting as scared as you are and that is a normal reaction, they must be really good friends to be so worried, you are very lucky, try to assure them that everything will be ok and the surgeons do these every day and the risk of complications is low and let them know that you have thought a lot about this and you are doing it to get healthy so you can be around to be friends with them a little longer:eek: That being said with any major surgery there is a risk of complications but I am sure you have weighed the risk of not having WLS and that would probably be riskier with all the side effects of obesity, like high BP and cholesterol, diabeties, that could lead to stroke heart attack etc......

I am sure you will do fine, just do what the doctors and nutritionist ask you to do and stick to your new meal plans and it will teach you a new way to look at food and eat healthier:D. Hang in there and let us know when you get a date, we are all here to help and support each other. :cool: Tom

Hey There!!
I am in MA too!! Congrats on your decision. It is a big one but a great one. I am five months out and couldn't be happier that I did this. It has not been all smooth sailing but I would do it all over again. I feel 10 years younger and the healthiest I have felt in years. Good luch with everything and let us know how you are doing. Take Care!-Becca

Jins- Welcome to the forum and congratulations on deciding to take the WLS journey. It's a very big and life altering decision to have made. You will find excellent support here without anyone being judgemental. Make sure to come back to the forum to let us know how you are doing.

Thank you all for your comments, I feel so welcomed by you :)
I am so glad I decided to join this forum, I have read so much and looking forward to share my experiences as well. All of you are a blessing in my life as I do not have people in my life that have gone through an experience like this, asside from my Medical team, you all will be my "to go" team any time I have a question. I hope my posts also serves for guidance to other new members :) Looking forward to share my thoughts with you all!! :cool:

Welcome, Jins,

Congratulations on your decision to gift yourself with weight loss surgery, to demand a better quality of life for yourself. How lucky you are to be in Boston, home to some of the greatest hospitals in the world!

Yes, this Forum is a friendly and uber supportive environment. Nothing beats face-to-face support, though. It isn't too early to begin looking at local support groups and find one you like. Your medical team may be able to recommend one for you.

I lived in Boston for several years. Please give her my regards!

Back