• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hair, Skin and Nails and Biotin

Sandie

For those who use Hair, Skin, and Nails how do you take it if you have had Gastric Bypass since it is a pill, right? Same with Biotin pills? Also, if you take H,S and N do you still take your vitamins since they have the same vitamins as Flintstones chewable but Flintstones complete does have Iron and does not have Biotin. When can you start to take capsules and pills or is it NO forever? Thanks in advance!

Sandie-Always consult your nutritionist or surgeon before taking any OTC or prescription meds that haven't been previously approved. Depending on exactly how your procedure is done will determine when you can swallow pills. I was able to swallow a pill immediately upon discharge from the hospital as long as it wasn't any larger than an M&M. Except calcium wasn't allowed in any form until 6 or 8 weeks after surgery. I was told it was OK to take the Hair, Skin and Nails supplement and did not make any changes to my vitamins. I also use Flintstones Complete chewables. Eventually all gastric bypass patients can swallow pills and capsules but there will always be a maximum size restriction. If a pill is too large it can be broken in half or even smaller pieces or crushed if it doesn't taste horrid. EXCEPT any meds that are controlled released or extended release should NEVER be broken or crushed. Another option is to ask the prescribing doctor to change the pill size (dose) to half of what it was and to double the number of pills to make up the difference. Not all meds will be available in half of their origianl dose but there are quite a few that are.

I chew my calcium citrate tabs because they are so big. They aren't repulsive, they just taste a little chalky. Sipping a warm beverage with the calcium makes them go down easier because they break down in your mouth better than with a cold beverage. I tried chewing the H S & N but found them a bit yucky so I just break them in half. Per the direction of the nutritionist I open up my prilosec capsules and sprinkle the tiny beads onto my tongue then immediately sip a cold beverage to wash them down. If you wait too long to swallow the prilosec it becomes bitter. Some people sprinkle the prilosec beads onto applesauce but after a few seconds the beads break down and you get that bitter taste.

Thanks Pat, I was thinking that the absorption of the Hair, Skin and Nails would possibly not happen since the stomach is now tiny and the part where it usually is absorbed is not now being used. Thanks, I am hoping that taking the pills is in my future and now crushing them etc. I gag easily and putting Prilosec on my tongue will really do me in. All the talk about nausea and vomiting is scaring me a bit.

Everyone is different. I experience absolutely no nausea or vomiting after surgery. I'm six days out and no such issues. So I would say make plans for it and how to deal with it, but do not obsess about it. Focus on the long term good that is coming from this journey. Good luck, keep us up to date.

I am 5 months post op and I am able to swallow the prilosec. The only thing I still need to cut in half is the calcium citrate. I also have to take iron and Vit A in addition to multi and b12. Interested in the Hair Nail and Skin product. Does it come as one pill? I noticed lately that my hair is falling out. I just had my vitamin levels checked and all were normal. I am going to start to take fish oil supplements in an effort to reduce my cholesterol.

Hair skin nails is one pill, can be bought at Costco, and it has all the vitamins that Flintstones has plus Biotin 5000mcg but no iron. I am starting to take before my surgery but am finding they are wreaking havoc with my stomach(GERD) so take with Prilosec. Box of 250 was about 12.95 I was at CVS pharmacy tonight due to a tooth extraction and while waiting for my pain medicine, looked at the Biotin and it was about the same price but for 50 pills so go with Hair, Skin, Nails. It is suggested by people on this board that you take one with meals for hair loss. I saw an article about Saw Palmetto for hair loss but not sure how it affects women, men take it for Prostrate problems and they realized that hair was regrowing. Not sure but you may ask your doc about Propecia I thnk it is called for baldness. That is a RX and is prescribed for baldness and was originally used for blood pressure problems when they found that bold men were regrowing hair.

Back