• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Half the Woman...

Good Evening,

My name is Donna and I am Half the woman I used to be. I started this journey last August at 380 lbs and today I weigh 185. The journey has been scary and awesome at the same time. Life is so different. The only regret that I have is that I wish I had done this yrs ago.

Cruise...what were the "scariest" parts? I just wanna' know everything BEFORE I do it...although I am getting more anxious by the day (waiting on surgery date...but trying to learn all I can now)...wanna' be "half the woman" also!! lol...was in the Miss America Prelims (2nd runner-up) ages ago...and even though I know I will never come close to looking like I did then, would just be happy to be "half the woman!" lol...Any info. comparing Roux-en-y to ds (duodenal switch) would be appreciated...and someone to talk to about surgery would be great...I also have enjoyed travelling (esp. enjoyed Western Europe)...maybe we could share travel experiences also!...:):cool:

DONNNNNAAAAAA Congratulations! You go, Girl! LOL. I am so happy for you. I fully understand your feelings. I started out at 320 and am now 121. It's been a trip! One that i have loved, hated, feared, respected, tested, tried to ignore, and most importantly...proved to myself I could succeed at if I made the journey.

For all of us, the journey is a bit different. Same procedures, pretty much the same guidelines, similar experiences, very different outlooks and challenges to overcome.

I am so happy for you! We need to start a club. Half the Woman Club. LOL. Yanno, I may just do that!

bab...the scariest part of all the the moments before surgery when you are being prepped...at least for me it was. After that, it's all down-hill. The most difficult part is making the decision and doing it! You'll be fine. Life is great.

Best to All!

Letrell

My surgery is next friday! I am scared as hell!!! Glad that I am doing it but have recently met some people who have had some pretty bad things happen to them I am trying to stay positive. I know inmy heart I have made the right choice so I will stop whining now just getting really nervous!!!! Jenny:confused:

Darlin, don't you worry yourself over what "could" go wrong. I have met dozens of people in person who have had the surgery and not one single one has experienced any of the problems that I've read about on here. You need to remember that this procedure is done so often that it's just run of the mill. Listen to your surgeon and dietitian. If you are told to drink an ounce of ...cough cough.... barium for breakfast, hon...just do it. Follow what you are told. Don't alter the program and make up excuses and reasoning why it's okay for you to eat this or that or drink this or that because so and so said it's okay. Just follow what you are told.

Sure there could be complications. But I'll betcha nothing that hasn't been tackled in the past. Just move forward. The benefits of the weight loss far exceed the possibilities of something not going perfect. I am smiling reading you stats. I started at 319.5. The first 9 months I lost 90% of what needed to be lost. The rest took all of just a a few more months.

You will be fine. I am so excited for you. Please post as soon as you feel up to it. Let us all know how you are doing. We will all be thinking of you. I am so dang happy for you.

Letrell

Thank you for easing my fears!! Overall I am super excited! I will post as soon as I can! I go in friday should be home sunday afternoon! thank you for all of the kind thoughts and prayers!

Letrell and Jenny-I feel better after reading your posts regarding the apprehension of having the surgery for various concerns and the reasons why not to worry about it too much. I am having some major reservations since I have been approved for my RNY. I go back and forth several times a day weighing and measuring all of the pros and cons. I wake up and go to sleep (whatever little sleep I manage to get) thinking about it. At the end of the day I usually feel that I am making the right choice by moving forward and having the surgery but then the reservations return and the cycle repeats itself. I’m thinking it’s going to be this way until the moment I start counting backwards from 100.

I agree with you 100% Pat99! I do this daily but I guess that means we have our eyes wide open!!! I wish you luck and will let you know when I am home!!!

bab_albuq and Jennybug76, I think you'll both be so happy you have decided to take this journey. I to was scared too death. At first, I was so excited that I had finally gotten approved, but as the day approached, I started wondering if I was doing the right thing. Although, in my case, the surgery was no piece of cake, I was up walking around that evening. My surgery ended up with gallbladder removal and my intestines were twisted, so that had to be fixed too. Two weeks out, I felt better than I had in years. I went into my doctor and gave him the biggest hug imaginable. Within the first two weeks I had lost 20 lbs. Not exactly sure where I'm at now (go back on the 24th), but can tell by my face I'm losing. Best wishes to you as you begin your journey. Please let us know how you're doing. ~Cherie

I agre with Letrell, there are many of these surguries preformed every day and the surgens are very skilled. The fears are normal I remember the closer I got to my surgery the less I slept, then the night before surgey I slept all of 3 hours I think, all my daughters were there for support so that was a great relief. Hang in there Pat & Jenny you will do fine, I would tell you not to worry but having the surgey myself I know you will, but is normal. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :cool: Tom

Hi all, I am brand new to this site and only 5 weeks out since my own RNY. I can tell you from the newbie perspective that its gonna be OK. I was as well informed as anybody could be prior, as I'm an RN and did all the reading and talking. I found out that no amount of education can really make you ready though. You just have to trust that if you do this, you will learn to adjust to whatever comes. I have had a few complications, its been physically taxing, but I'm down 35lbs in 5 weeks. I look different already and I know that I will start to feel better soon. Hang in there and stay positive, that's your best tool.
Tina

Jenny-I agree with the people saying not to pay too much attention to the negative comments here about bad experiences. As I'm sure you know, some people dwell on drama. However, gallbaldder removal and hernia repair are required from time to time. They just have to take care of these things at the time of the weight loss surgery if they see a problem. No big deal!!!!

Back