• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Has anyone been told if we can eat Malt-meal?

I was told that if you eat cream of wheat it has to be runny but i think we get to the mushy stage then we can eat it, but it has to have no fat in it, I'm sure you can add a sweet n low or splenda. but for the first couple of stages following surgery is stuff you don't chew, you strain everything and put in blender.

I looked at my post surgey can's and cant's and it says hot cereal is ok starting week 6, check the amount of surgars and carbs and like Pat said check with you dietician or nutritionist also. :cool: Tom

Hi! I had my gastric bypass last June. By August, I was allowed to have pretty much anything. I was just to remember no fats, sugars and chew, chew, chew. You should be able to have the hot cereals you've asked about even if you are only a couple of months out. However, call your doctor's office and ask if you are uncomfortable with being unsure. Each doctor has their own "set of rules". My doctor had me eating salads 2-3 weeks before my cousin's doctor allowed her to advance past soft foods. Good luck!

I was encouraged to eat Malt-o-meal by my 2rd day after surgery. They served it to me in the hospital. Some varieties have added protein, but must watch the sugar content. They also suggested I add a little powdered milk to it to increase the protein.

You can also add some unflavored protein powder to increase the protein. You don't have to use a full scoop, even 1 or 2 tablespoons will boost the protein. I added chocolate protein powder to plain cream of wheat. It tasted great and had less than 1 gram of sugar.

Back