• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Has anyone tried IsoPure?

Hi everyone.

I had my 5th visit with the dietician today and they gave me a revised eating plan that includes drinking a bottle of IsoPure daily after surgery. I know from previous post that I should expect my tastes to change but still.. that stuff is expensive and so I'd like to hear from anyone who has tried it what flavor they preferred. Is the stuff tolerable at all or is it just plain nasty? I will do what I need to do but I'd like to be prepared :cool:

They gave me Isopure in the hospital, and I could drink it then, the grape was really good, but that was the last time I had some. After I got home, I couldn't drink it...but I think maybe cause it was cold. I find that I have a hard time drinking really cold stuff....so I have to let even my water get room temp before I can drink it

I have used Isopure and some I like and some I don't. I like it very cold. However, the taste of whey protein isolate is very hard for me to enjoy. I drink it because I have to. I drink Isopure when I need a premixed protein drink for on the go. I like the apple one. We all have different tastes. The ones I like my friend can't stand and the one she likes I think is gross-really, really gross. So I am afraid it is try and see. All of our tastes are sooooooo very different.

I tried the fruit punch Isopure and hated it! Cut it with Crystal Light and still could barely get it down. Other flavors may be better. Everything will taste too sweet after surgery. But remember that the liquids are time limited. You can do anything for a week or two. Good luck!

I just have a question. Why use Isopure when there are much better tasting protein drinks available? If lactose intolerance is preventing you from having dairy try taking lactase. I am lactose intolerant and have to use lactase, it works for me. There are also non-dairy protein drinks available but I don't like the way they taste. Pre-made Muscle Milk is one of them and to me it has a very bitter taste so I can't drink it.

I tried Iso-Pure before surgery and am not into the fruity flavours but could tolerate. After surgery I just about gagged every time I looked at the bottles in the fridge. Had to switch over to the powder, water and banana in blender. It was and still is (7 days post surgery) very, very difficult to take sweet drinks. Personal taste I suppose.

In the first phase of the meal plan there are a lot of sweet options so by the time we're through with it the sweet tasting things are just too difficult to deal with. Once you get into phase 3 and can have a larger variety of things you probably won't mind the sweet stuff. I sometimes crave sweets now so I reach for sugar free popsicles or a protein drink.

Hi pat99. My program recommends IsoPure simply because the research the dietician has done has shown it to meet what they want for us. She says if I can find an equivalent I am certainly welcome to use it, but so far I haven't. She wants it to be Whey Protein Isolate, and one scoop should have only 105 calories, 0.50 grams of fat, 1.50 grams total carbohydrates and 25 grams of protein. That's the powder. The bottles are 20oz and contain 40grams of protein. They want me to drink one bottle a day for the first 2 weeks and then half a bottle a day until I can consume 1/3 packed cup of protein per meal. If anyone knows of an alternative that tastes better than IsoPure I am sooo willing to try it

I just have a question. Why use Isopure when there are much better tasting protein drinks available? If lactose intolerance is preventing you from having dairy try taking lactase. I am lactose intolerant and have to use lactase, it works for me. There are also non-dairy protein drinks available but I don't like the way they taste. Pre-made Muscle Milk is one of them and to me it has a very bitter taste so I can't drink it.

Hi ProudGrammie, well ChocoRite comes close, but that is a tough act to follow, Heres what I have it is Whey Protein Isolate, it has 150 cal. 24 gm protien, 3gm. fat 8gm carbs. It tast good and contains pro biotics which may not mean much now but post op you will need those, I don't know what they are but the nutritionist says they help with digestion and they are good for us. I think they are yummy. :cool: Tom

I am 6 days post surgery and prior to having the surgery (roux-en-y) I tried different flavors of matrix and they were simply too sweet for me and had a horrible smell. Since surgery I've only had Isopure and haven't had a problem with the smell or taste. I like the cookies and cream flavor but after a week of drinking this I am thinking I'm going to have to pick up another flavor to mix it up a bit :) It is a bit pricey but well worth it in my opinion, to prevent nausea like I experienced with others. Like desertgirl said I think it really comes down to your preference/taste. Good luck!

Back